Gottlieb Solved North Star (Gottlieb, 1964) score motor and game counter running

Jonas 11

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
North Star
I have a 1964 gottlieb North Star when I turn game on the score motor is running and the game counter running also will not let me start a game when I push the credit button to play the primary 5 slo blo fuse blows

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
When I checked the pinball database i noticed that the bank reset coils are individually fused. I said that the hold relay might be part of the problem, but gottlieb machines don’t have a hold relay. If the main fuse blows immediately when the reset button is pushed, the bank coils can almost be ruled out because they fire when the score motor starts running.
New things to check are reset button/ slam switch stack wire connections and switch blades from one switch touching the other switch.
Inspect the coils in the bank that has the start and reset relays for burnt coil wrappers indicating bad or shorted coils.
With the machine un-pluged check the resistance of the start and reset relay coils for shorted resistance.
On either...
If the primary fuse is blowing there is a problem with the 120v circuit that’s before the transformer. The 2 bank reset coils are suspect along with the hold and reset relay circuits that also use 120v. With the machine un-plugged, push on the 2 bank reset coil plungers, resetting the 2 banks and see if the score motor stops running when machine is plugged back in. It doesn’t look like the bank reset coils are individually fused like newer machines, so a problem with the 120v circuit will blow out the primary fuse. Sluggish working bank reset coils and plungers might cause an amp draw too high and blow the fuse.

Ok I did reset the plunger and coil on 2nd bank it did stop the score motor the game went back on playing as soon as game was over I had to put a quarter to light up game 3 games went on credit wheel and when I pushed credit button primary fuse blew again

When I checked the pinball database i noticed that the bank reset coils are individually fused. I said that the hold relay might be part of the problem, but gottlieb machines don’t have a hold relay. If the main fuse blows immediately when the reset button is pushed, the bank coils can almost be ruled out because they fire when the score motor starts running.
New things to check are reset button/ slam switch stack wire connections and switch blades from one switch touching the other switch.
Inspect the coils in the bank that has the start and reset relays for burnt coil wrappers indicating bad or shorted coils.
With the machine un-pluged check the resistance of the start and reset relay coils for shorted resistance.
On either the start or reset relay, there’s a switch that is activated by the relay trip plate. Clean points, check wire connections and blades on this switch .
Check all plastic coated wires and connections, because gottlieb uses plastic coated wires for it’s 120v circuits.
And always check 120v circuits with the machine un-plunged.
Another possible way to find the short is to replace the fuse, raise and support the playfield, plug in machine, turn out lights in the room, press the reset button, and check for a spark, this helps to find wiring short problems, but will not show anything on a shorted coil.

Solution
Hey pinballdaveh thank you for your good advise the reason why the score motor was not
Clearing and kept running is the 1 amp slo blo fuse was blown that was connected to the 2nd plunger and was not clearing the bank but all back to normal thank you

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Isaac Sauvage has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back