panther7 rom

hass

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
tron
Hello could you please assist in my following query

I have TRON classic VPX table which requires Panther 7 rom which I have downloaded from this site and installed correctly.
I get the following message Machine Panther7 (7-digit conversion) terminated before initialized , check rom path or rom file .
I have checked the rom in pin main and have the following errors
652 cup 2048 not available
652 snd 1024 not available
6530 sy80 bin 1024 not available

Thank you

Solution
Okay, I think I get it. You're trying to run something called "TRON Classic 2018" which is a mod of Panthera by HiRez00 and some other authors. Now it makes sense why you'd want a Panthera ROM.

So, I'd recommend grabbing the panthera ROM and placing that in your ROM folder, along with the panther7 ROM you already have. Chances are the table is already set up to run with one of those two, and should start working.

If that doesn't work, you can go in to the script and look for a line like this:
Const cGameName = "panther7"

Whatever ROM name it's set to, trying changiing that manually to the name of the other one, then see if that works.
"Panther7" is a modification of the original "Panthera" (Gottlieb, 1980) ROM, allowing it to display seven digits. It has nothing at all to do with any Tron game AFAIK.

To the point-- where did you get a VPX Tron table that requires a ROM? What are the specific details on it? The only one I can think of would be Stern's Disney Tron Legacy, which is not offered here or at most VP sites due to a friendly agreement with Stern.

That said, I believe there are indeed several Tron tables out there, but they're originals AFAIK. They shouldn't need a ROM.

Hello
I downloaded table from vpforums.org members name HIREZ00, and table is asking for rom and won,t play without it

Okay, I think I get it. You're trying to run something called "TRON Classic 2018" which is a mod of Panthera by HiRez00 and some other authors. Now it makes sense why you'd want a Panthera ROM.

So, I'd recommend grabbing the panthera ROM and placing that in your ROM folder, along with the panther7 ROM you already have. Chances are the table is already set up to run with one of those two, and should start working.

If that doesn't work, you can go in to the script and look for a line like this:
Const cGameName = "panther7"

Whatever ROM name it's set to, trying changiing that manually to the name of the other one, then see if that works.

Last edited:
Solution
You're welcome.

Btw, I just realised that Stern seems to have given the okay to emulate Tron Legacy. You can get the ROM right from their site, and you can find multiple TRON Legacy LE tables across various VP forums.

I think Tron Legacy (Stern) is a totally different table than Tron Classic 2018 (a custom table), which uses the Gottlieb panther7 or panthera rom and is a reskin of an older Gottlieb table. Modifying the table script for Classic to point back to "panthera", a 6 digit scoring wheel, will work as a band aid fix which I was able to apply; but am curious to know why the 7 digit panther7 rom is being so fussy. If anyone figured out the panther7 rom, I'd be curious to know how you made it work. I'm getting the same error as in the original April 16, 2020 post on this issue.

I think Tron Legacy (Stern) is a totally different table than Tron Classic 2018 (a custom table), which uses the Gottlieb panther7 or panthera rom and is a reskin of an older Gottlieb table. Modifying the table script for Classic to point back to "panthera", a 6 digit scoring wheel, will work as a band aid fix which I was able to apply; but am curious to know why the 7 digit panther7 rom is being so fussy. If anyone figured out the panther7 rom, I'd be curious to know how you made it work. I'm getting the same error as in the original April 16, 2020 post on this issue.
Yeah, as stated above, Xenonph' Tron Classic 2018 is a reskin of JPSalas' Panthera (Gottlieb, 1980). Nothing to do with Stern's Tron Legacy.

I took a quick search just now through two major release threads [1] [2], and see very little mention of the Panther7 ROM, and nothing about this specific issue.

Two questions at this point-- 1) do you have the latest vpinMAME installed? and 2) the latest global script package installed? Those errors might be related, I'm thinking. Also, it sounds like this is a DOF / FS table, and I don't run anything like that these days. Meaning, I'd mostly be wasting both our time trying to replicate the isssue.

Frankly, if you're issue isn't related to the things I mention above, I'd go ahead and post in one of the release threads, tagging Xenonph and/or JPSalas so they get a notification, then describe the problem.

If you let me know what they say, I'd be happy to correct the 'official solution' in this thread. Matter of fact, maybe it's worth reaching out to Xenonph to see if he wants to share the table here. I must admit, it's a little weird trying to solve issues related to tables released at other sites. :p

I'm just sorry I can't test stuff like this properly.

I'm on the most recent versions of everything as far as I can tell. I kind of found a work around. If I deactivated all of the "legacy" dmd settings in the registry (dmdonly, showpindmd, showwindmd) then I found the table will allow the "panther7" rom as the B2S backglass is managing all the scoring once the legacy dmd stuff is off.

Last edited:
I'm on the most recent versions of everything as far as I can tell. I kind of found a work around. If I deactivated all of the "legacy" dmd settings in the registry (dmdonly, showpindmd, showwindmd) then I found the table will allow the "panther7" rom as the B2S backglass is managing all the scoring once the legacy dmd stuff is off.
Good work, and you'd think info related to that would be in the release notes or whatnot. But your solution makes sense, far as I understand this stuff.

Over at VPinball, I'm seeing screenies that suggest this table runs fluidly in both FS and DT versions. I don't run B2S either, but if I get a chance, I'll see if I can run it as a DT table and report back in this thread.

I got it to work by modifying the script, uncommenting the original panthera line and commenting out the panther7 line. The rom you need, panthera.zip, has 5 files - 2 652s, 6530sys80, u2_80, u3_80. I don't know why I couldn't get it to use a panther7.zip with those 5, but had to use panthera.zip. Hope that works for whoever still has trouble...

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: JonPurpleHaze has started a new thread called "Beers..." in The Playfield.
      Back