physics versions and ball speed

AnonTet

Pinball Master
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones
Assuming the slope is set equal to all tables when you apply a .xml file you're changing the materials and consequently the speed of a table.

So why the same xml gives good results on a table and supersonic ball speed on another? What am I missing?

Hi AnonTet,
I couldn't agree more, I have used the same physics and settings on many tables and they can play completely different from each other
even if they are similar tables and/or created by the same table designer. Things that make you go MMMmmmm?

I need to polish my dark magic skills then... :D

Unfortunately Yes!! one needs to step into the dark side every now and then so they can see the light. ?
??

There is more to physics than an XML file. Many objects on the table have strength settings that you can adjust. It took me a long time to realize that a gate will slow the ball down considerably depending on the settings. Some tables have more gates than others. I normally use these settings for gates:

<gate mass=".1" gravity="500.0" damping=".25"></gate>

If the table has gates on a ramp, then I often switch to this:

<gate mass="0.010" gravity="100" damping="0.25"></gate>

All the XML versions from 1.0 to 2.7 use these values:

<gate mass="2.0" gravity="4500.0" damping="0.25"></gate>

You should compare my values to the other version and see what happens.

I noticed that every object is practically covered with the *mats or specifically like the gates.

About, the gates stop or reduce ball speeds whey the ball passes by them only. So it wont help much mid table speeds.

And that one got me thinking when I read "gravity". Wouldn't it be simple to use the old 9,8m/s^-2 all around? Why don't DEV keep things simple? :D Not to mention realistic.

DEVs... I've found a new meaning for this acronym: Devilish Entrepreneurs of Vicious software :D

Every object on the table uses the material codes. You can sometimes change the material like rubber can be set to hard intermediate and soft and the material codes in the XML match. Other times the material cannot be changed, like stationary targets are always set to plastic. ...So, if you want to change the amount of bounce off a target, the only option is to change plastic which affects the other objects made of plastic (Well you can change the damping of the ball but that will affect the way the ball bounces off of everything).

And it is a pain to do so!

And it is a pain to do so!
they are painful, but it depends on what you would like, in that table, to create perfect physics, for me it is almost impossible but it is also true that we could improve as I am doing in DK.

but sometimes you also need to make changes to the construction, to make sure that physics responds well to your needs ... nothing of what we knowi t's perfect , perfection is only in a certain context,but there is no need to talk about it of this.so I'll stop here.

Last edited:
Every object on the table uses the material codes. You can sometimes change the material like rubber can be set to hard intermediate and soft and the material codes in the XML match. Other times the material cannot be changed, like stationary targets are always set to plastic. ...So, if you want to change the amount of bounce off a target, the only option is to change plastic which affects the other objects made of plastic (Well you can change the damping of the ball but that will affect the way the ball bounces off of everything).
You can put an invisible wall just in front of the target and choose rubber as material (I guess FP take intermediate for elasticity).

but sometimes you also need to make changes to the construction, to make sure that physics responds well to your needs ...

That's incredibly difficult for me if I to mess with models :(

You can put an invisible wall just in front of the target and choose rubber as material (I guess FP take intermediate for elasticity).
When I wrote that, I was thinking about the problems I had with the mod I did on Robots Invasion. I tried adding walls in front of the targets but wasn't happy with the performance. I ended up changing the plastic material code so it worked. Plastic isn't really used that much on most tables. You can select plastic for some objects like ramps and walls. Robots Invasion didn't use much plastic so the changes I made were OK.

Not in front of but exactly at the same place. But sure, you don't have collidable pastics on tables.
In an other hand, you can export the model, then open it with FPM Editor and change the material then reimport it.
Maybe you can test that...

Not in front of but exactly at the same place. But sure, you don't have collidable pastics on tables.
In an other hand, you can export the model, then open it with FPM Editor and change the material then reimport it.
Maybe you can test that...
How about that! I just opened a model with the FPM Editor and sure enough you can change the material on it. I have never noticed that before.

OK, FPM editor permit the choice of the material, but I don't know if FP take it...
So, some tests are to be done.
I hope FP take it, because you have, for example, some metal targets (OK, for old pinball).
Rubber ramps, it could be funny!

There is more to physics than an XML file. Many objects on the table have strength settings that you can adjust. It took me a long time to realize that a gate will slow the ball down considerably depending on the settings. Some tables have more gates than others. I normally use these settings for gates:

<gate mass=".1" gravity="500.0" damping=".25"></gate>

If the table has gates on a ramp, then I often switch to this:

<gate mass="0.010" gravity="100" damping="0.25"></gate>

All the XML versions from 1.0 to 2.7 use these values:

<gate mass="2.0" gravity="4500.0" damping="0.25"></gate>

You should compare my values to the other version and see what happens.
GeorgeH,

Sorry to open an old thread. Could you explain to me where to go to change the above properties? The gate at the top of the shooter lane on tables often slows the ball excessively or stops it altogether.

Thanks,
Brent

In the XML search for "<gate"
Or you can use wecoc gates' code and models (look around this forum)

AnonTet,

Sorry I meant to reply and say thank you. I did find the "<gate" and tried several changes but no luck so far.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back