Pinmans tables

4Eyes

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Rack-a-ball
G'day y'all,

I tried to post this in the 'contact us' section but it came back with an error. I'm sure this is not the correct place to post it but I don't see anything better. Can I please get a ruling from an admin?

"Hi. I have recently been given copies of 19 (I think) tables created by Steve Pestridge, Pinman. These tables were lost when Shivasite and the original VP site died. Pinman has not been seen active for many years. I emailed him but it bounced.

Most of these are very good and every layout is different with ideas that I've not seen on other tables.

I uploaded them to vpforums.org yesterday and received a PM saying that if they're not mine or I don't have authority to upload them then they will be taken down.

As until a couple of months ago been away from VP since 2003 or so, I have great gaps in my knowledge. It was only a month ago that I found Pinball Nirvana.

That sounds like sucking up, which I'm not. However, I'd like to ask is it permissible to upload the tables here?

Regards,

4Eyes"

Hi, 4Eyes. Gidday. I remember your cool VP video poker with your kids doing the voices from way back when.

If you don't get an answer soon enough for you, you might try just uploading a test table yourself and giving the credit to PINMAN. Based on this, looks like he hasn't logged on here since 2011:Pinball Nirvana Forums

PN did almost go down a year or two ago, and it was pretty much impossible for all the original authors to re-upload their stuff. Some of them moved on from VP long ago, and some of them are no longer even alive. Now JPH, the owner here, did re-upload a huge bunch himself, but I'm pretty sure he could still use some help with that.

Also, it took me awhile, but I finally did remember PINMAN's tables. IMO they typically looked kind of simple, even child-like, but after some plays it becomes apparent that he had a real knack for this stuff.

For "Space" (image below) I guess he repurposed a classic Bally, but he also did his own layouts, I think. "Fire Rescue" (IIRC that was the name) was maybe my favorite.

http://vpforums.org/uploads/dsfiles/img-47-1254490521.jpg

Last edited:
G'day Ike,

Video Poker was good because Stein did the graphics. I had the idea but man that guy was good. Anyway...

I'm happy to find a home for the tables but don't want to get into strife. I think it best to wait for a decision from JPH. I looked thru the FAQ but saw nothing relevant.

Yep, Pinman's tables have a certain style. They are often similar in colouration etc, but the layouts are remarkable. There's one (I can't remember which) that has a bumper between the flippers. I've never seen that before. When you consider these were done with VP 6 or maybe 8, they're quite remarkable.

He has used Gottlieb and Bally logos on a few tables. Whether that was just admiration or that he had based the table on one of theirs I don't know,. however, it worries me that the big boys may come knocking.

Thanks for your reply.

4Eyes

Well, you don't need to argue with me if you're not in ze mood.

But trust me, 4eyes-- the scene went through massive amounts of trauma / change since 2003. World turned upside down and all that. I was also head admin at VPF for a couple years (under my original VPF name, daily extracting my nails upon this shizzle).

IMO most of the stuff everyone was arguing about during the great "Pacdude Wars" simply doesn't matter to anyone, anymore... either legally, semantically, practically, or otherwise.

Last edited:
Ike, I'd love to get a bit of the lowdown on the 'Pacdude wars'. I remember when Nicky Special started to carry on like a big sook.

'Don't need to argue?' I don't understand. I will try to upload at least 1 of the tables in question.

4Eyes

Last edited:
> 'Don't need to argue?' I don't understand. I will try to upload at least 1 of the tables in question.

Nevermind. Cool. Good man.

> Ike, I'd love to get a bit of the lowdown on the 'Pacdude wars'. I remember when Nicky Special started to carry on like a big sook.

Nicky Special is pretty good comparison, but the PacDude situation was far worse IMO. It basically split the scene apart, although it's true the scene had some other big problems (some obscure, some not so obscure).

re: PacDude,
The fact that he was one of the scene's top authors meant that when he started throwing tantrums about this or that, a bunch of people (myself included, sorta kinda) stuck with him and turned on the VPF staff at the time. That particular staff foolishly banned him for awhile, which was pretty much pouring rocket fuel on the bonfire. Really not good having a big staff like that with hardly any talent for management. More of a talent for mismanagement, even.

Anyway yeah, if you just look up the threads he was creating here around 2003 or so, you can get in to it if you really want to. It's easily days or even weeks worth of reading.

Nicky Special was more like a troll trying to bullshit people on his rights to mod and that kind of stuff. Fairly obvious to most folks, although he did have an outsized ability to make the most out of his pain-in-the-arsery.

Last edited:
Ah... I get the gist of it I think. Let's continue to move forward. I like your turn of phrase. You could be an honorary Aussie.

4Eyes

Haha, thanks. Maybe it's the Jim Jefferies I watch bleeding through.

Anyway yeah, were you able to try an upload here?

So I was searching just now and it looks like a good chunk of original tables are still available online... just scattered all over tarnation. I bet there's also some huge collections floating around bit-torrent and other P2P systems. My hunch is that would be the best way to start rebuilding a collection, i.e. just grab 10gb (or whatever) in one shot and proceed from there.

Btw, the two guys (Aussies in fact) who used to run Pinball Originals still have the site archived IIRC. Their names are Anthias and Rockinghorse, and if you search Anthias' recent posts here, there was still some discussion about whether to try reviving PO one day or what. Point is-- certain folks probably have most of the old stuff, and are still around and available.

Another BTW-- there were some truly wonderful original tables produced after 2003 that I reckon you're not familiar with. "The Secret of Monkey Island" comes to mind, as well as a series by Bob5415 (something like that), Starman's stuff, etc.

Myself, I didn't finish many tables, but you might get a kick out of this one. It's not pinball, but billiards. It runs on VP7 - VP8 IIRC:
http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=4336

I'd not heard of JJ before, but 5 secs on youtube made it apparent. Talks like a typical Aussie.

I have uploaded a Pinman table. Can't remember which one. Dunno if it's available for download yet.

There is a 90GB torrent available thru http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/torrents.php?search=&category=11&active=1&sort=data&order=DESC I've got to upload a bunch of god knows what to build credit b4 I can have it. Jumped thru hoops with them, then got ticked off.

I remember Anthia and Rockinghorse too. I will look into Anthias' posts.

TSOMI? I'm not familiar with that. I'll look into that too.

Your billiards table is quite fascinating, but I'm not into billiards or pool. I have not a clue how you did that though.

I'm now wondering if I'm flogging a dead horse. There was some ugly tables in the old days as there is now. I don't know that it's worth persuing. I'll get the other Pinman tables up and see what happens from there.

Thanks for your help and chats. I like it here. I think I'll hang here more often.

4Eyes

I'd not heard of JJ before, but 5 secs on youtube made it apparent. Talks like a typical Aussie.
Really? I mean, he's one of the most scorchingly hot / brilliant comics in the world.

Never heard of him, even in Oz?

> Anyway yeah, our originals are here:
http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums/downloads.php

>I'm now wondering if I'm flogging a dead horse. There was some ugly tables in the old days as there is now. I don't know that it's worth persuing. I'll get the other Pinman tables up and see what happens from there.

No, I completely agree. Bit there was also some ridiculously awesome stuff. Still is. Still awesome. Check it...!

Hello 4Eyes!

I do remember you from back in the vpf days, Welcome! It looks like PINMAN's tables never were uploaded here before. Wanted to make a correction to Ike's post about this:
PN did almost go down a year or two ago, and it was pretty much impossible for all the original authors to re-upload their stuff. Some of them moved on from VP long ago, and some of them are no longer even alive. Now JPH, the owner here, did re-upload a huge bunch himself, but I'm pretty sure he could still use some help with that.
The entire site almost went down due to a forced php upgrade but Everything from the old UpDownloads program (Tables, etc) were successfully imported into the newer Downloads2 program almost exactly 2 years ago. Email's were sent out to all authors asking them to update the download file name, descriptions, image's, etc. but the files are still here.
A lot of information about this is in this thread:
Table Authors, Update your files!

with a link to a text file that contains a bunch of other information and links to screenshots.

Listed in the text file are 2 of your tables, Mastermind and Video Poker
I've assigned you as the uploader so that you can edit the information, the current table name is just the name of the zip file name that was imported. I've also added you to the Download Managers user group which was done 2 years ago to all active authors so that they can edit any file.
If you look in the text file mentioned above your 2 files had id #'s of 10 and 11 (Wow, the 10th and 11th file that was uploaded into the old program!).
Your screenshots are #'s 10 and 11 in the above link to the old programs screenshots.

A note about uploading a new file, the file has to be uploaded first and you can then add a screenshot, it's a 2 step process. It looks like your upload of PINMAN's The Simpsons 2 was ok (feel free to add them), I edited it into the right category, was in VP recreations and if I remember properly (might not..) it's a VP Original and I also added a screenshot that I found on my computer, (I hosted Pinball Originals and IRPinball hosted originals a long time ago) but you might need to verify if it looks like it matches the table.

Sorry about the amount of information but Thanks for the uploads!

:pinball:

Side question-- what kind of torrents are out there for VP originals, or just VP mega-collections in general?

Is it actually worth fooling around with that stuff?

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back