Gottlieb Jacks to Open (Gottlieb, 1984) Pop Bumpers Not Working

BillZ

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jack to Open
Hey All...

Hope you can help....I have a Gottlieb "Jacks to Open" machine. All three of the pop bumpers do not operate. Everything else on the machine is fine. Weird though, because if I play the game for a while, all of a sudden he bumpers will come to life. I shut it down when finished, and the next time they are again dead. Today when I played they did not come to life at any point. Seems like it might be something simple that I am missing....any guidance appreciated.

Hey All...

Hope you can help....I have a Gottlieb "Jacks to Open" machine. All three of the pop bumpers do not operate. Everything else on the machine is fine. Weird though, because if I play the game for a while, all of a sudden he bumpers will come to life. I shut it down when finished, and the next time they are again dead. Today when I played they did not come to life at any point. Seems like it might be something simple that I am missing....any guidance appreciated.
Gottlieb system 80A often had problems with ground issues. Ground mods are shown online.
Each pop bumper should have it’s own pop bumper board. Usually located under playfield near the top.
Remove each board and check for cracked solder connections. Repair if needed.
If pop bumper coils work every time in the self test, then a switch matrix problem may exist.

Update: The bumpers do not fire in test mode....again pardon my ignorance, but I am a newbie trying to figure this out. When I go through test mode, the bumpers should fire automatically in the solenoid test section, right?....all others do....flippers....ball eject....targets etc.....but nothing from any of the bumpers. I am an accomplished do it yourselfer, but this is me first venture into this.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: HZR has posted a new reply in the thread "Complete list of VB commands".
      Back