Scared Stiff (Midway, 1996) VP9

VP9 Bally SS Recreation Scared Stiff (Midway, 1996) VP9 v1.1

No permission to download
Solid State Machines

jpsalas

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Just a note about these two tables:

The normal table has the graphics for the spider wheel and lights made by highrise which fills the whole screen. You access this screen by pressing the up cursor key. When releasing the key the backdrop disappears and you'll see the table again.

The reduced version doesn't have those graphics and I made it only so it could be played with hardware rendering on a Nvidia video card with 256Mb memory. But still the table needs a good computer since there are many lights to turn on and off, and that needs a good cpu.

The tables include some mods, like the lights on the pile of skulls and the boogie dancers.

JP

Cool, I'll try both and see how it goes, with my GS6800 256MB. :)

They both have problems on my system. The normal version most of the reels are missing, on the reduced version there are glitches (bottom half of flippers are invisible and the spider doesn't rotate) and as I play vpinmame starts to make the sound garbled. Played other versions of scared stiff after and they were OK so the roms are good.

I've got an Nvidia GTS250 512MB card. Core2 Duo 3.25GHz. 4GB ram.

From the problems listed at VPorg (mine being one of them), there seems to be more people having issues with this table than are able to play it. I'll either wait for version 1.5 or 1.6 or stick to the still-excellent VP8 version.

i dunno what the prob with your configs may be, but the normal table runs flawlessly here with VP 9.0.5 , XP-SP3 @ intel E6300 + crappy ATI 4350. the fullscreen-spiderwheel is a good idea, although i find it hard to stop it at the right icon (much harder then on the real machine). also the plunger is too sensitive imo, which makes it very difficult to shoot the spider-hole. all in all a great table, thx jpsalas!

Ahh, I was running 9.0.3, just got 9.0.7 off sourceforge, the reduced table works fine now.

New problem on the regular version, getting: "can't create offscreen surface" errors...

Edit: I guess the regular version really needs a 1GB video card, had to drop the resolution below my usual 1600x1200 to get it to play, but then the audio started going bad.

VP now opensource on Sourceforge, never thought that would happen.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Last edited:
sometimes the ball can get stuck here in scared stiff multiball mode, and adding/removing ball from the table doesnt seem to work anymore. is this a VP issue?

60111923.jpg

just in case someone wants to grab VP 9.0.7:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vp8/files/VPinball907.zip/download

Last edited:
I believe that's a table issue. Too much room there. Maybe it has something to do with the room left for the Secret Passage.

The McD

I'll fix that issue now that I'm back home. I'll also make the reduced version a little less demanding in resourses.

JP

thx, JP. btw, what you said in the rules section about the skill shot is true for the real machine as far as i remember: "If you miss the spiderhole and the ball doesn’t hit anything you can relaunch the ball indefinitely." it was possible to launch indefinetely as long as the launch was too short to reach the spiderhole. on the VP table though,
the ball sometimes still goes into the playfield when the shot was too weak to reach the hole.

The 1.1 versions both play on my PC now, even the full one plays without having to reduce the resolution. But now both are getting audio breakups after about 5 minutes, I'll try again after a reboot and shutting down some background processes....

The 1.1 versions both play on my PC now, even the full one plays without having to reduce the resolution. But now both are getting audio breakups after about 5 minutes, I'll try again after a reboot and shutting down some background processes....

must be your comp, i made over 100M which took about 30mins of play, and there were no sound probs or stucked balls this time. the gameplay stutters a little in multiball mode, but i guess thats just the consequence of my crappy PC and several apps running in the background. i dont see how the table design could affect sound performance anyway.

must be your comp, i made over 100M which took about 30mins of play, and there were no sound probs or stucked balls this time. the gameplay stutters a little in multiball mode, but i guess thats just the consequence of my crappy PC and several apps running in the background. i dont see how the table design could affect sound performance anyway.

It is the table causing it, I can play the older versions of the table in VP9.0.7 (after fixing some stuff) and don't have the sound problem.

Probably some driver memory conflict between the audio and video, the new tables both hit the graphics driver much harder.

There does seem to be a pattern to it, it almost always happens after hitting the #3 leaper frog target. Happens in both versions.

Yeah, mate, I already figured it out. Tis' the "glass_hit" sounds that are the problem. Make of that what you will - a few solutions have been posted in the release thread at VPF.org. My solution was just to delete the god damn buggers.

The McD

Yeah, mate, I already figured it out. Tis' the "glass_hit" sounds that are the problem. Make of that what you will - a few solutions have been posted in the release thread at VPF.org. My solution was just to delete the god damn buggers.

Ah, so it's the sounds in VP causing some driver problem, because once it happens it sticks, have to reboot to get it back to normal.

My Realtek audio drivers are up to date, so I guess I'll look at removing the sound from the table.

Update: Removing the calls to those glass hit sounds in the leaper animation part of the script worked, both versions play great on my PC now.

Last edited:
The sounds are fixed in the latest version of the table.

JP

This is the first vp9 table I have tried. Well I did try the first version or two. But I have a new computer now and I tried it again.

This is the best VP table I have ever seen or played. Not my favorite pin, but my favorite re-creation. Smooth as silk and built and setup very well.

VP9 might be good enough for me to build another table.

I don't know what I got. It's an AMD 2X with nVidia and 3gigs of ram.

Thanks JP

Good to see you, Shocky! How about that "toys included" version of JP's Flintstones table you were modding? I know it's been awhile, but the couple of pics you posted made it look awful purty!

Nice to be back Ruby, thanks.
Those files are on my computer in Kansas. A version with the graphics included was released by the original author so I shelved that mod.

i agree with shockman on the best VP9 table part.
theres still an issue though, with the monster multiball mode in version 1.1. when there are 3 balls on the table, sometimes 2 of them disappear after shooting holes or loops and they are only brought back one after the other through the "ball search" mode, after losing the current ball. the balls dont seem to be stuck somewhere, just lost.

I've been enjoying this table for the last couple of hours and wanted to say thanks creating it.

On a side note Jpsalas on your website the link to VPforums.org is actually pointing to the rom for Black Knight at this site.

Thanks, I'll fix my website :)

About the balls dissapearing: I'll take a look and I'll see which of the wholes is eating the balls and it doesn't release them :)

JP

For some reason this table went missing, so I've re-uploaded it.

Actually JP mentioned two versions in the first post, but I've only uploaded the main version, not the reduced-CPU version. I trust most machines should be able to run the regular version at this point. See download entry for table notes.

Thanks to @jpsalas for allowing us to share his tables through VP9, and thanks to @Noah Fentz for archiving the file in the meantime.

Edit: Also fixed JP's homepage in his signature.

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Popotte has posted a new reply in the thread "How Do I Move a DMD on the Backbox Using Script...
      Back