So. Who Should Be Creating Themes for Pinball Machines?

sleepy

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Titanic Hospital
Offer your favorites. I'll start.

Fuck the dull Movie and TV License bullshit. Be Original. But use Creative People who have a following and who can write a good background story.
And then use their name as the license/selling point.

Hey, I know! Let's get Frank Miller to do one.

That's all well and good if you have an actual industry with competitors and such, rather than one business trying desperately to attract quarters to a dying medium. I understand why licensed tables are Stern's go-to. They're not aiming for people who say "Hey! It's a new pinball machine and it has a NASCAR theme!" They want the crowd that says "Hey! It's a NASCAR game! Let's put a dollar in here and... is that a metal ball? How the fuck do you play this?"
It's a nice dream, sleepy, but I'm gonna have to say my answer is Zen Pinball. They're the only company making halfway decent originals, and that's likely all we'll ever get without a time machine.

For the most part, I think you're right. But I wouldn't bet against a Frank Miller or Stephen King-scribed game. I see Rob Zombie is trying this approach.
But I would take Miller or King.

For the most part, I think you're right. But I wouldn't bet against a Frank Miller or Stephen King-scribed game. I see Rob Zombie is trying this approach.
But I would take Miller or King.
Actually, those are some kick-ass possibilities, I think!

Frank Miller and/or Stephen King, really...?

If you look at the classic non licensed themes from the past, they tend to be a modern twist on something old
Centaurs used to be half man, half horse, Bally made it half man half motor bike
weather events, Whirlwind , Earthshaker
at least 20% of EMs were either card games or cowboys and indians

As for original themes, also include just about every sport, space themes and let's not forget the clowns. ?

Circus Voltaire perhaps one of the last great originals, that and Medieval Madness.

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back