VP9 Chicago Coin EM Recreation Splish splash - the DOLPHIN is here v1.0

No permission to download
Electro-Mechanical Machines

CompuFox

Inserted Coin
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Hi folks

My first VP9 release for you to enjoy! DOLPHIN is a simple Chicago Coin table For 1 or 2 Players, built in 1974. IMHO thers is more in the game than a first look could tell you. Especially the "Bonus-Hunters" will like the game, as that's the (only) way to score BIG on this machine. And Kids will like it due to the cute fellows, theming the game. Have fun!

C-Fox

PS: Please use the rating system (honestly) and feel free to give me some feeback...

Last edited:
Thanks for that other 'swiss made" table!.:wave:
I´m sure my kids, 6 & 2 years old, will love it !:joy:

Thanks for that other 'swiss made" table!.:wave:
I´m sure my kids, 6 & 2 years old, will love it !:joy:
COOL - Glad to hear that! :joy:

BTW: Did they ever try my original "Funny colors" table? I made it with kids in mind; lots of colors, simple ruleset, easy music and funny sounds!

(The cheat mode in particular can be great fun as the game plays itself and the little Pinheads can pretend to be playing like a real Pinball wizard... ;))

GREETZ, Fox

Hey C-Fox,

Great stuff! I'm really glad that someone has recreated this table in VP. A couple of years ago I spent many hours working on some graphics for Dolphin with the intention of making it my first VP release. I never finished it (or any other), and didn't even get started on the scripting.

FWIW, here's a shot of my effort, as far I'd taken it:

Dolphin.jpg

Yours looks so much better (and it's VP9)!
Thanks for this.

Cheers. :cheers:
Steve

Looking very good, too - I just wanted to avoid "cleaning up" the photos (PF), so I decided to rebuild it from scratch... ;)

Seeing your effort, I hope there WILL be some future releases by baskingshark...

Does anyone know about Compufox's stance on modding? I'd like to make Dolphin/Showtime FS with a working backglass.

Does anyone know about Compufox's stance on modding? I'd like to make Dolphin/Showtime FS with a working backglass.
i guess steve-oz is not here at the moment?

anyway, first (mundane) thing to do would certainly be to PM compufox.
looks like he was here as recently as two years ago, so there's at least a decent chance he'll get an email notification of that.

second thing would be the question of venue as to how it pertains to your Q?
like... is your mod question in regards to PN, the org, or maybe just the scene in general? personally i have no idea if PN and the org have any overlap in terms of guidelines.

lastly, it used to be that at the original VPF, for a re-created table (not original)-- you would contact the original author and if he didn't respond in a certain timeframe (around 30 - 45 days i think), you were free to mod as long as you provided documentation of that. it seems to me VPF and PN were pretty much in accord in that, but it's been years since it was even an issue around here.

holy scarf, batfang! this used to be the hottest of issues, once upon a time, in a land far away.

i guess steve-oz is not here at the moment?

anyway, first (mundane) thing to do would certainly be to PM compufox.
looks like he was here as recently as two years ago, so there's at least a decent chance he'll get an email notification of that.
This is true,but a lot of times authors post something in public about stuff like this. I even have a special section at Rogue for authors to publicly state their stance. If there was such a post, it would save him from being bothered.
http://roguepinball.com/index.php/board,31.0.html
second thing would be the question of venue as to how it pertains to your Q?
like... is your mod question in regards to PN, the org, or maybe just the scene in general? personally i have no idea if PN and the org have any overlap in terms of guidelines.
I'm only asking about Compufox's tables in general.

lastly, it used to be that at the original VPF, for a re-created table (not original)-- you would contact the original author and if he didn't respond in a certain timeframe (around 30 - 45 days i think), you were free to mod as long as you provided documentation of that. it seems to me VPF and PN were pretty much in accord in that, but it's been years since it was even an issue around here.

I'm not really concerned about a timeframe here as all sites make up their own rules for the most part. The original VPF was before my time. I really doubt there is a problem, as he was a nice guy when I talked to him here. Still, I want to do the right thing. I figured if someone knew of such a post (and I haven't seen it through a search), that would save me the trouble of PM'ing him. If there is no such post I'll PM him. I really only want to mod to FS anyway, but I'll have to modify it from 2 players to 4 players as Dolphin is 2 players, and I only have a backglass for Showtime- 4 players. Not a big thing, but board etiquette you know.

This is actually how I met my good friend PBecker1946, by asking to mod to FS. Now we've done like 50 tables together, and gotten together a few times.:p

Last edited:
i understand your reasoning.

i have no idea what compufox's stance was on modding. back in the day it was pretty much unheard of for the scene to know what an author's stance was unless it was the very biggest of shots, like destruk, pacdude, scapino, etc.

your list sounds like a good idea, tho. it would have helped things out if we had had that long ago.

I guess I'm really going to have to now... I had my friend Phil look at it and even he would need a lot of time to figure this out. It seems Compufox used the actual schematic to write this code, and it's not commented on at all.

In addition to this, there's a big bug in the table I found. If you play a 2 player game, then on the next new game- player2 is player 1.

Seems I'm a day late (and many dollars short:d) with my ideas, huh? At the new vpf there's a line for each download stating if it's ok to mod or not. That was a good idea.

Last edited:
Not exactly. PBecker1946 buys schematics to do the EM'S he does. But he doesn't script it the same way as Compufox does. I converted his Vampire to FS for myself. Here's the difference.

Normal table backglass reel code:
Controller.b2ssetscore 1 (id number), score (variable used for score)

Compufox table (Vampire):
Controller.B2ssetscore 1, TCount(1)*10 +HCount(1)*100 +KCount(1)*1000 +TKCount(1)*10000

But Compufox literally scripted each switch and relay on the machine.

that's a big difference if he's doing each relay like that. i guess if you came heavily from the repair / maintenance side it would make sense.

is there something preventing you from doing the table yourself, since i imagine you'd be able to improve on the images and objects?

I did, as I used to be an operator. But I don't want to redo it. I just want to add a second screen. Plus I suck at graphics. But I did Trigon, and if you have that one- it's way complicated. This is much worse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX64Qzhe7pk

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: blackspatular is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back