Star Trek: The Next Generation (Williams, 1993) VP8

VP8 Williams SS Recreation Star Trek: The Next Generation v2.2 JPG-PINS 2020-01-28

No permission to download
Solid State Machines
Thanks for the fixes JP.

It plays bitter cruel now, more like the real thing.

I am still having all kinds of problems with the cannons. I'm sorry to say that more than acting right, they are either spitting the ball out on their own way early, or they have trouble accepting the ball, but they so far have after a ball search. I assume this is one of those strange system specific problems, because it is too bad to miss otherwise. If this is the case I will adjust them. If you are still working on them I will wait.

Thanks. STTNG is a favorite, as is your work.

I'm having more problems with the canons in the latest version released vs. the 1.00 version. Once in a while the 1.00 version would lose a ball but I could usually fire the ball out of both canons accurately, in 1.01 most of the time the left canon fires very late and loses balls more frequently.

I'm using VP 9.0.7, latest one on the sourceforge page, if it needs a newer version only available at the other forum I guess I'll scrap this table.

9.0.7 is the latest on sourceforge? I thought I have the 9.08 source code. The latest release is 9.091 and before that was 9.09 and there was also what I have been trying to use 9.08. The cannons are worse for me as well with 9.08 than they were with the 1.0 version of the table. I think I have read that 9.05 is the most trustworthy in the 9 series. There are versions of STTNG that does not have this problem though. With STTNGJPG-PINS-NeoBeta2 the cannons work perfectly for me.

Last edited:
I think there is just a problem with the cannons. Probably because he made the table angle independent, which is the best way if you also want to make a vertical version. JP posted this.....

Well, Update 1.01 is up with many bug fixes
smile.gif
They were small bugs, but now it is the best I can do. Still there is the bug with the cannons not receiving the ball, but the table does a search and it serves the ball.

Sorry for the late reply but I got it working with the 909 release.

Where are the links for the latest releases?

I stumbled upon 909 in here but can't remember where I stumbled(too many VB's or Buds if you are in the US of A).

Love the HD render in 909.

Makes the tables look crisp.

9.0.7 is the latest on sourceforge? I thought I have the 9.08 source code. The latest release is 9.091 and before that was 9.09 and there was also what I have been trying to use 9.08. The cannons are worse for me as well with 9.08 than they were with the 1.0 version of the table. I think I have read that 9.05 is the most trustworthy in the 9 series. There are versions of STTNG that does not have this problem though. With STTNGJPG-PINS-NeoBeta2 the cannons work perfectly for me.

The source files for the latest VP9 are there but I don't have the required compilers to build it. The latest exe I could find is still 9.0.7.

Yea, there are other STTNG tables that have working canons, PK's 2006 mod had ugly looking canons but they worked.

Guess I'll poke around in the script over the weekend if JP really is done with it, I hate debugging slightly less than programing :) but can usually find different ways to do stuff so it works.

Edit: nevermind, more playing time and balls started going missing again. I now suspect it's something to do with when the balls go down the holes with animation.

Last edited:
I was thinking that it would be along the lines of that too. Mechanical, instead of a bug. I think it is the over-sized ball rearing it's ugly balled head again.

I was thinking that it would be along the lines of that too. Mechanical, instead of a bug. I think it is the over-sized ball rearing it's ugly balled head again.

Actually I'm starting to think it's in the diverter logic, balls are sometimes not created on the proper kickers after being destroyed at the top holes. On the real table there are 2 diverters that send the ball to either the right gun or to the left, then if to the left it either goes to the left gun or the far left ramp. I've noticed sometimes when expecting it at the left gun it ends up on the left ramp, and can disappear randomly if it's supposed to go to either gun.

It must be a timing issue with the new table being more resource hungry, since that part of the script is the same as in JPs VP8 table and that works fine. Probably need to put some extra code in to make sure the proper switches are tripped and reset in the proper order according to how the diverters are set.

I don't know. I came back to post that I have got to be wrong, or the ball would never make it.

There is no problems with the VP8 version, so I will stick to that. It even works just as good in VP9 but I don't recall if it was one that I had to adjust to get it to work in 9 or not.

It's definitely a timing issue, must need a serious gaming machine to run the table properly.

If i change the script so the diverters are not switched back to zero using a timer (solenoid sets 1 or 0 directly), and mess around with the pulse length on some of the switches that deal with the subway, I get maybe one missing ball every 20 minutes or so. But still have problems with inconsistent firing of the canons, even the flippers seem to respond slower to the keys sometimes.

So even though this looks great in VP9, I'm also going back to the VP8 version.

Driving Me Crazy...

Thanks for the work and providing this.

But I can't seem to get past the initial table screen. The table loads, but nothing happens. Basically, the only thing that does work is the ESC key, which allows me to exit back to the editor or "pause" it. It's like it's already paused.

(Screenshot Attached)

I've spent 7 hours on this today. I am going crazy.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find anyone else having this particular issue.

Grhhhh!

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Star Trek TNG Pinballl - Screenshot.jpg
    Star Trek TNG Pinballl - Screenshot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 483
If you see no error messages for ROMs or .vbs Script, then
Press the top 7 key.
If nothing happens after a few moments, then press the F3 key to reset. You only need to do this the first time you start the table, or after deleting the VPinMame\CFG\.cfg file for the game, and sometimes after installing a new version of VPinMame.

Then press the top 5 key for credits, and the 1 key for game.
Do not use the NUMPAD keys.

If you see the VPinMame ROM error message, then you need to download the STTNG ROM to the VPinMame\Roms folder. Keep it Zipped. If you have Unzipped this ROM to the Roms folder, then delete all loose ROM files or they will interfere with starting the game.

If you see the .vbs error, then you need to download the .vbs.zip and UNZIP it to the Visual Pinball\Tables folder.

hi, i dont seem to know how to use the "buy in" feature
if i use start, it cancels
if you use flippers it cancels...
if you wait for the time to end it cancels... :s
anyone has the same problem?

excuse me can someone tell me how to "buy-in" in this table? everything i do seems to cancel buy in

"I'm Sensing You Want To Continue"

Coil I'd check the post dates if I were you
this post is at least one year old already

I give. The "Buy-In" feature might need to be enabled in the DMD Operator menu.

It's been awhile since I've played a VP table, and even longer since I used the "buy-in" feature. If the "5" key is for credits, don't you have to press "3" for buy-ins?

Good Point

Coil I'd check the post dates if I were you
this post is at least one year old already
Good point about the date. I (The Smart Ass In Me) could not resist throwing in that bit of speech by 'Marina Sirtis' from the actual machine.

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Javert20 is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back