cheltok

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
The Addams Family
Hi

i´m servicing my addams family.
i don´t know why the flippers have too much power
some times the ball enter in right ramp or left ramp and the ball virtually fly!!!
yesterday the ball get suck over the ramp passtrough switch in the left corner of the machine

somebody know hot to adjust the power?
the eos switchs are correct.
in other machines like spanish solar wars theres a conector in the power transformer. you can switch between 44v or 48v to feed coils and adjust the power. for example id the machine works with 230v in line and you have 210v you can compensate the loss of power in flippers.

i have to recognise a mistake
i sprays wd40 over the flipper mechanism ;(

any help will be great

Quicks, fumes, toxic waste, it´s all ours!

Last edited:
do NOT use any kind of lube, it may short out the contacts! check to make sure that they have the correct solenoid!. wd-40 will if anything gum up the flipper rod that travels thru the magnet (solenoid). make sure that that is ok too. but it sounds like the solenoids are too powerful for the flippers.

do NOT use any kind of lube, it may short out the contacts! check to make sure that they have the correct solenoid!. wd-40 will if anything gum up the flipper rod that travels thru the magnet (solenoid). make sure that that is ok too. but it sounds like the solenoids are too powerful for the flippers.

Thanks for your reply!

i will check the coil codes and colors with the manual and clean the lub

more news this weekend

Good show old man!

I've also noticed at times just before the solenoids fry they get more powerful! can't explain that one but it has happened to me on a few different pins I used to service, but check the codes to make sure they are the right ones. so many people just throw anything in there thinking that a solenoid is a solenoid for a flipper, not knowing that the different manufacturers all made them with different voltages!

faralos said:
I've also noticed at times just before the solenoids fry they get more powerful!
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
A solenoid is a bit like an incandescent light globe (remember them?). Sometimes, just before they died, you'd switch them on and they'd be super-bright, and the next time you switched them on - pffft - dead.
Rather than just using resistance of the tungsten filament to generate heat, a solenoid uses resistance [more specifically 'inductive reactance'] to generate a constant current in the copper loops, and hence a predictable induced electric field which then imposes a force on the ferrous actuating rod (Flemings left hand rule for motors) - essentially a linear electric motor.
However, every time the inductor is charged, it takes time to build up the electric field, and the copper conductors are stressed both as the field is generated, and again as it collapses, just as in our incandescent light globe.
This eventually leads to a lowering of resistance in the coils->increased current->greater induced electric field->more powerful motor. I can't remember if skin effect plays a part here or not (the preference for electrons to travel at the edge of the conductor rathe than the center), but the upshot is that the decay of the coils gets worse, as the stress of charge/discharge gets worse as the resistance is lowered and current consequently increased, and therefore the breakdown of the conductor becomes exponential. Very soon the strength of the induced electric field is vastly increased and the charge-time correspondingly reduced, resulting in the 'frying' you describe.

If it's any consolation, no one on this ole rock of ours actually knows what an electric or magnetic field actually is. All we can do is describe their effects on other ferro-magnetic materials or behaviour in various media (such as light refracting off a diffraction grating made of various materials (plastic/air/water etc). As to 'where' it exists, or how it acts at a distance is just not known - all we can do is measure effects and make predictions of future effects, which we've done quite well since Maxwell figured out the maths describing them about 150 years ago.

The existential questions of these mysterious 'fields' remain unanswered.
As for Gravity - all bets are still off. We still can't even model it at planck scales.

Want a nobel prize in physics? Go to it!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back