The World of Commander McBragg

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
McBragg was a retired English naval commander who used to tell short, incredible stories across a range of animated shows, starting in 1963. He would take you all over the world and get you on the edge of your seat with only ninety seconds to work with per episode.

I recently noticed that someone had collected all his stories (there's about 48 in a single playlist). Quite!
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6BqPpHNmE&list=PLbQIdjjACsXe6bsYB22j3McvBNTuxPyUH

I really love the way he creates a captive audience, too. Every time around, his gentleman's club colleague begins by squirming in discomfort and desperately (but politely) seeking to escape, yet a few moments later is hanging on McBragg's every word. Maybe one day I can learn that storytelling skill?

Come to think of it, I wonder if McBragg's adventures could make for a fun pinball machine theme. Lots of different mini-episodes to choose from, that's for sure.

Attachments

• mcbragg.jpg
    mcbragg.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 100
  • hqdefaultkjhjgyft_grande.jpg
    hqdefaultkjhjgyft_grande.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 32716a2f84ad5eeef765a4f6d58b3035.jpg
    32716a2f84ad5eeef765a4f6d58b3035.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 123
  • oqvdx0j.jpg
    oqvdx0j.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 123
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 128
  • x1080.jpg
    x1080.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
McBragg was a retired English naval commander who used to tell short, incredible stories across a range of animated shows, starting in 1963. He would take you all over the world and get you on the edge of your seat with only ninety seconds to work with per episode.

I recently noticed that someone had collected all his stories (there's about 48) in a single playlist. Quite!
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6BqPpHNmE&list=PLbQIdjjACsXe6bsYB22j3McvBNTuxPyUH

I really love the way he creates a captive audience, too. Every time around, his gentleman's club colleague begins by squirming in discomfort and desperately (but politely) seeking to escape, yet a few moments later is hanging on McBragg's every word. Maybe one day I can learn that storytelling skill?

Come to think of it, I wonder if McBragg's adventures could make for a fun pinball machine theme. Lots of different mini-episodes to choose from, that's for sure.
Of the cartoon themed pinball machines I can think of are
Rocky and bullwinkle
2 simpsons
family guy
Bugs bunny
Flintstones
And maybe some super heroes
And there’s probably others. All of these are popular or were popular in their day and still remembered .
Basing a new pin on a old cartoon that nobody remembers. I think is very risky for a pinball manufacturer to consider making.

Hmm. IPDB lists 14, and doesn't even include the Simpsons for some reason. :s
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?tm=cartoon&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

Basing a new pin on a old cartoon that nobody remembers. I think is very risky for a pinball manufacturer to consider making.
For sure; I was thinking moreso as an original. I never made my own traditional pinball in VP for whatever reason.

But I was also curious who else here might remember McBragg. I think he's a pretty ingenious, hilarious caricature of post-Victorian English adventurer types. I remember seeing him (and Dudley Do-right) in reruns of other shows even in to the early 80's, I think.

I remember McBragg as a kid back in the 70's for sure. I was more captivated by Garfield and my most favorite Heathcliff which are both cats of course. If I wasn't watching Bugs Bunny it could have been Speed Buggy, Captain Caveman, Casper, Baby Huey, Popeye, Felix The Cat, Voltron, The Thundercats, Woody Woodpecker and who else knows what else I was watching. The list was MASSIVE. They just don't make cartoons like this any longer. Now it's all half assed animation they pass off as cartoons.

Captain Caveman and a bunch of other early-ish HB characters gave me some good laughs over the years. There was an inane, upbeat quality about them I always enjoyed.

My favorite kind of HB format was probably farce / parody. Serious, yet ridiculous at the same time, sort of like Batman '66, or the Frank Drebin approach in the Police Squad franchise. The Flintstones and Space Ghost were pretty good representatives of that, I think.

Dunno if you know it, but there's also Venture Bros, a wicked-good parody of Jonny Quest and a bunch of other cartoon / superhero tropes. You can check out clips on YT.

Ah yes. The Herculoids, The Jetsons, Dino Boy, Tom and Jerry. Then there was poor Marvin the Martian who never got his own show.

Ah yes. The Herculoids, The Jetsons, Dino Boy, Tom and Jerry. Then there was poor Marvin the Martian who never got his own show.
And now for something completely different
ITS
Comedy in pinball
I think that Monty Pythons flying circus would be a great title theme.
All the great material in the shows and movies could easily be enough for a pinball machine.
Any other pythoners here that feel the same way I do. If not I fart in your general direction.

Oh, is that what that reek was?

Monty Python would make a fine theme IMO. Some modes I'd like to see would be Cheese Shop, Spam, Upper Class Twit Race, Bicycle Repair Man, and Lumberjack Song.

If you have VP installed, there's two MP tables uploaded here themed to "Holy Grail":
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?search/5198/&q=monty*&t=resource&o=date

I wouldn't mind seeing a Fawlty Towers table, too!

Also, what about Gene Wilder films? With Mel Brooks, ala Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein... but also there's his version of Willy Wonka.

Lotta great sounds bites in those to jam in a pinball machine!

Did someone forget Popeye?

Oh and Mel Brooks pinball, might have done that..

Well there are a lot of sounds from the movie in there.

Who remembers Beany and Cecil?

Who remembers Beany and Cecil?
I've heard of it before, but don't remember it being re-broadcast in the Philly region. At least, from the early 70's on.

Yeah, taking a look at WP just now, looks like it was broadcast on Saturday mornings up til '67, but didn't go in to syndication.

I guess I am a few years older than you guys.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: AnushDCosta is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back