Data East Solved The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard (Data East, 1994) sound board problem

Milos A

Inserted Coin
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
DE Tommy
Help needed for my DE Tommy!

Something is wrong with the sound board: when I turn the volume up, the game resets immediately. If the volume is low, I can play for couple of minutes, then the game resets. If I disconnect the sound board, the game works fine...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Solution
There's a doctor

Problem solved! I posted my problem on five forums, and read the extensive Data East repair guide on www.pinrepair.com.
I changed the rectifier bridge on power supply board, and changed burnt or warped connectors: two large square molex connectors, and one 9-pin connector in the upper right corner. Tommy now works fine, no more resets. Thanks to all who tried to help!
I don't know pinball boards, but it does sound like overload protection kicking in, maybe the amp is overheating and tripping the overload, that is, if there is an overload protector on the boards somewhere, the power board, etc.
And it could be the overload protector itself is faulty, or a bad capacitor, transistor or diode.

There's a doctor

Problem solved! I posted my problem on five forums, and read the extensive Data East repair guide on www.pinrepair.com.
I changed the rectifier bridge on power supply board, and changed burnt or warped connectors: two large square molex connectors, and one 9-pin connector in the upper right corner. Tommy now works fine, no more resets. Thanks to all who tried to help!

Solution
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back