Tales of the Arabian Nights (Williams, 1996) VP9

VP9 Williams SS Recreation TOTAN Night Mod v1.0 final (NIGHT_TABLE GI)

No permission to download
Solid State Machines
having same issue here, "offscreen object".

- intel dualcore 6320 @ 1.86ghz
- 1 GB memory
- nvidia geforce 7300LE

btw, i assume this wants totan 1.4 ROM?

most likley it's due to lack of video card memory. I believe the card needs at least 512mb of video memory

Why does VP-9 ONLY set resolutioms to 32 bit resolutions??? Cant it also do 16 and 24 as well??? Whe I go to video settings on vp, it only shows as 32 Bit. It does show that on VP-8....

Also ask JP to see why it always says: " cannot create offscreen surface" ...

Thanks in advance...

all of the .bmp textures I added to the table were saved as 24bit, I'm checking with kingb33, but I believe all his textures were 24bit also. so if 32bit is the problem it is in one of jps original textures.
i guess you are right, willy-- tried JP's original version just now and it gave the same error.

strange that when JP released his version there weren't also a lot of people coming up with this problem... or were there??

have JP's last few tables been giving people this same "offscreen object" error, or did he break compatibility with just this one table?

I'm not sure... I think it is just the amount of high res textures and older hardware

i guess you are right, willy-- tried JP's original version just now and it gave the same error.

strange that when JP released his version there weren't also a lot of people coming up with this problem... or were there??

have JP's last few tables been giving people this same "offscreen object" error, or did he break compatibility with just this one table?

Welcome to VP9 Nic.... It's a nightmare for many people.

I'm not sure... I think it is just the amount of high res textures and older hardware
don't say "older hardware", willy... this dell system is only around a year and a half old, so if that's a deal breaker then you know that a large percentage of people won't be able to play JP's tables like this one. not even the latest, popular gaming software is that demanding on hardware.

someone needs to get this info back to JP because he is IME the nicest guy in the universe and apparently doesn't realise that there is a problem.

@bob,
i'm glad i only fire up VP about once a year. :s

EDIT: up, sorry.

Last edited:
The table plays fine here. I must admit that I do like the regular VP9 version of TOTAN by JP better though. This version seems just a little too dark for me and I like to be able to see all of the PF artwork on TOTAN. It's great if you like the really dark look though, I'm sure a lot of work went into making the table dark and thanks again for the release. :)

Hi nicolas

About not being able to play JP's VP9 version of TOTAN. Have you tried the "VP9 Hardware Render Key" reg file by SunWizard? You could try that and the Speedfix by Scapino on VP9. The reason I ask is, I need to use them on my laptop. I use the "Hardware render key off" reg file by SunWizard and the Speedfix by Scapino for VP9 tables and they all play fine. My Desktop PC plays VP9 tables fine without them. It's just a suggestion, Hope this helps.

Later

I have an ATI Radeon 4650 1gig HD video card, 2 gigs of Ram and a pentium 4 HT.
I run both vp8.1 and vp9.02, I have all the tables in one folder. I suppose in time I could sort through the newest vp9 tables and put them in a separate folder inside the tables folder for easier referencing as I probably have 1000 tables with many versions of each. Some versions that dont look as nice, but play better than others..
I also have the same problems with messed up graphics with vp9 but those occur in vp8 also. Invariably I will dummy down my video card settings for both versions of vp. Turn off graphic rendering in options of game before you load it. Usually I dont have to restart vp, just that table if its messed up.
If that doesn't do it for you. then modify your video card settings for vp. by
.....right click the desktop...then click propeties, settings and you will see your graphics card and subsequent options listed on the last tab.
If you own an ATI card, then there is a good chance you have Catalyst Control Center or a version of it.
Go to 3d options and move every slider to the left and choose performance over quality.
In MY CASE under Catalyst / 3D
1) Standard Settings.....optimal performance <-----slider left check application settings

2)Antialiasing...use application settings <--------slider left

3) Adaptive Antialiasing....disable.............no slider when disabled

4) Anistropic filtering.....disable.............HD rendering feature DONT USE

5)Catayst AI....disable.............

6) Mipmap detail Level...........on performance or next to it <----slider left

7) ALL SETTINGS....so now you should see all the changes you made to performance and application settings where necessary. Wait for vertical refresh ...OFF

8) More settings: Direct3d or D3D
support DXT texture formats ...on or checked
Alternate Pixel Center.....off or unchecked

OpenGL
Triple Buffering .......off or unchecked
Force 24bit Zbuffering ....off or unchecked.

These are my settings for my ATI card.
I am a player. I want great performance over graphics.
I use my desktop default resolution of 1024 x 768 for gameplay.

In short if you are having problems with your table graphics using an ATI card go to options within the table and unchecked the rendered options and restart the table.
If this works then close the table and save the changes. if it doesnt work then go to your video card and open up notebook or some writing application or grab a paper and pencil and write down all your video card 3d settings FIRST: then...
Move all your sliders to the left towards performance over quality and in some cases it will be use application settings instead of forcing your video cards rendering on a table.
CLICK apply for the changes then..
open your table again.
This should clear up most graphic problems with hash marks and crappy rendering. If it does then you can play with your video card settings and your table and see if you can enable one feature at a time to check to see if it is affecting your game table graphics. If it looks better than leave it on. if its worse then keep it disabled. Only change one thing at a time and check in a game. Remember you will ahve to restart the game for it to take affect properly.

I see this has been briefly touched upon already, so sorry if this is too long, but sometimes the average puter guy isnt aware of some of these settings.

Last edited:
I think that's a good advice to find out the best graphic card settings. I didn't ever do that on my own before. I just only wondered about all the possible settings one can chose from without to know the exact content/sense of each setting.

Triple Buffering, 24bit Zbuffering, ... , still no clue what that all means. Good there never was a real need to learn all about this.

I don't think/I'm not aware that this was discussed much before in pinball forums, but I can be wrong.

Thanks anyway.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: JonPurpleHaze has posted a new reply in the thread "What music are you listening to?".
      Back