Visual Install Pack 8.1_2.01

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Update: VPM DLL now the latest one. (2.01)

Download-Link at Bottom of Post.

Features of this Package:

* One Download to get all needed Files plus the VPLauncher 3.0 Frontend

* Sets up the Folder-Structure for Visual Pinball

* Sets up the Folder-Structure for VisualPinMAME

* Integrates the Folder-Structures of Visual Pinball and VisualPinMAME

* Installs the Visual Pinball Program (Version 8.1)

* Installs the VisualPinMAME ROM-Emulator (Version 2.01)

* Installs the needed Visual Basic Scripts (Version 3.27)

* Installs the pre-configured NVRAMs needed for certain Gottlieb Tables

* Installs the pre-configured NVRAMs needed for certain Bally Tables

* Installs the generic Sound-Samples for Visual Pinball

* Installs the non-emulated Sound-Samples needed by certain Solid-State Bally Tables

* Installs the non-emulated Sound-Samples needed by certain Solid-State STERN Tables

* Installs over 180 different Fonts used by various Tables

* Registers .VPT-Files with Visual Pinball so Tables can be started by clicking a .VPT file

* Creates a Context-Menu Entry to start a .VPT via rightclick

* Creates a Context-Menu Entry to open a .VPT for editing via rightclick

* Creates a Context-Menu Entry to open the Visual Pinball Editor empty via rightclick

* Creates a Program-Group Entry with Link to the Visual Pinball Editor in the Startmenu

* Creates a Program-Group Entry with Link to the VPinMAME-Setup in the Startmenu

* Creates a Program-Group Entry with Link to VP-Forums in the Startmenu

* Creates a Program-Group Entry with Link to Pinball Nirvana in the Startmenu

* Creates a Desktop-Shortcut to start the Visual Pinball Editor

* Creates a Desktop-Shortcut to visit VP-Forums

* Creates a Desktop-Shortcut to visit Pinball Nirvana

* Creates a Product-Identifier

* Creates an Upgrade-Identifier

* Creates an Uninstall-Entry for the VIP in the Startmenu Program-Group

* Creates an Uninstall-Entry for the VIP in the Software-Uninstall Menu

* Protects Tables, ROMs, NVRAMs, CFGs, etc. from being deleted when uninstalling the VIP

* Installation only takes a couple mouseclicks and is ready-to-go in a few seconds

To those linking the file from their own sites: Replace the _1.59 from the old link with _2.01

Cool, nice update, thanks Phoenixx. :)

Thread made sticky. ;)

many thanx phoenixx.......definately makes life easier when you need to reinstall everything from scratch.....im sure it not only helps beginners....but even seasoned pros .......thank you

Thank You, John and Steve! :bandana:

So if I already have it installed, should I uninstall everything first before using this updated one?

If you already installed the previous version of the VIP then you wont need the updated one. (Except you plan to use it on another PC for a fresh/first install.)

Because the only change compared to the previous version is the new version of VPinMAME, which can be updated by simply moving a copy of the latest vpinmame.dll into the 'Pinball' directory. Nothing more is required, the new version gets used automatically. (Meaning you dont have to run any setups or anything afterwards.)

Hope that helped,
Phoenixx

dont know how to open new thread so if u need to move this sorry......i just tryed clicking my shortcut to pinball nirvana........and i have norton installed and it said visual pinball is trying to access the internet...?????....i blocked it of course being the paranoid schitzophrenic i am......but why is it trying to access the internet?....i wasnt even playing a pinball......is this something new with the new installer?...VIP...its never happened before.....if someone knows whats up.....please let me know so i can stop my suspicious mind.....thank you....pinball rules

I asked the same question myself a couple of years ago, but nobody could give me an answer either.

It is, however, in no way related to the VIP, that much i can guarantee to you.

thanx for the quick reply phoenixx.......and thank u for the easy install pack..VIP....just was wondering what was going on.....glad i'm not going crazy

also wanted to say that when i blocked its access i couldnt get in to pinball nirvana...ie.....it wouldnt load

Cheers for that info phoenixx , I was going to ask the same question , well - if I install this newest version over the top of the last newest one would I lose my tables , ROMS , nvrams etc.... so now I won't worry until I install it on a new computer I get or on friend's comps. That's a relief to know , I'll put the 8 valium
back in the box hehe !!!!

Matt :D

Yeah, if you only want to update VPM then putting the latest DLL into the 'Pinball' folder will suffice.

But you wouldnt loose your Tables and ROMs and Settings etc even if you did install the VIP over the old one. Because the VIP has an Upgrade Identifier, which means if/when it detects an older version of itself it will only update the files that have changed since the last build. The rest wont be touched, especially not any files that have been added to one of its folders later. Also, if the installer detects the same version (meaning if you install one build of the VIP and then run the installer again) it offers to either repair (reinstall) or uninstall the current setup. If you choose Repair then the same as the above applies in that case too.

And it also applies in the case of a deinstallation, in case you wonder. The VIP Uninstaller only removes the files it installed itself, but not those that have been added to any of its folders later. That means all files like Tables, ROMs, NVRAMs, and CFGs (and the respective directories of course) will remain there after deinstallation, because all of these files were added later either by the User (Tables, ROMs) or by VPM (CFGs, NVRAMs).

It never hurts to have a backup anyway though, because even if a program is programmed to do certain things a certain way we all know how Windows often goes its own way, conveniently ignoring everything it is being told,...

Great , thanks mate for the info :D A big help and a big relief .
I was worried that I'd lose all my tables and ROMS etc... :o
Now I won't worry and go ahead with it , I actually have 2 setups , when I was first sent the IR PINBALL page link I didn't know what the hell to do or how to start it as I'd never heard of .vpt and .fpt files b4 , so I googled them and learnt a bit more and one site had a player that had a VP player in it ( Atomic FE ) so I installed that into C drive and was puzzled why most of the tables worked but about a 3rd had script errors , so some of the tables I wanted most had these errors and wouldn't work ,
So I mailed in and Leon kindly helped me and told me to create a USER folder if there wasn't one there and so I did and that problem was solved , so after going through the 50's - Now , I then had to learn all about the games here and at AJ's and all about ROMS etc.... and the IPBD so I then installed the last VIP into C Drive ending in 1.59 so all the games with ROMS are in this section and all the VP games are in the other....CRAZY setup I know but it works for me LOL
I tried to play Captain Fantastic earlier and that's now got a NULL error and doesn't work so I'll check in AJ's to see if it's there with a ROM version.
Same with the 60's or 50's BIG BEN , Doesn't work now either :(
Cheers again for your help and time ...

Matt :D

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back