• We have added Language Translations for French, Italian and Spanish menus, you can change your language at the bottom of every page, bottom left in the footer.
  • Spanish (Español, Latin American) translations have been added for the Forums and Resource Manager (Downloads). You can change your Language Here!

Visual Install Pack 8.1_2.1+NT - Feedback Thread

1234fd

Eclectic end-user
:appl::appl::appl:
A huge thank you in the name of all future users who will never know how many troubles :scratchchin:they are avoiding by using your VIP.
You are the VIP*.:yes2::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

*(very important person)

yogiholzer

Pinball Wizard
Thank you, Phoenixx!

Yesterday I noticed that the Visual Basic Scripts are at version number 3.29. As you write 'Installs the needed Visual Basic Scripts (Version 3.27+)' I'm not sure, which version is implemented. The + after the version number let's one think, it's the last version after 3.27. Is it?

What means +NT in your version numbering?

yogiholzer

Pinball Wizard
Thank you, Phoenixx!

Yesterday I noticed that the Visual Basic Scripts are at version number 3.29. As you write 'Installs the needed Visual Basic Scripts (Version 3.27+)' I'm not sure, which version is implemented. The + after the version number let's one think, it's the last version after 3.27. Is it?

@Phoenixx: No response? Don't you talk to me anymore?

1234fd

Eclectic end-user
Just out of curiosity I made a complete, total uninstall-reinstall of VP, VPM & VPMan.It took me about twenty minutes to get everything working!:yes2::mrgreen::mrgreen:

THanks, Phoenixx & Fartian!:yourock:

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
NanoTech?

Yesterday I noticed that the Visual Basic Scripts are at version number 3.29. The + after the version number let's one think, it's the last version after 3.27. Is it?
No, its 3.27 plus a couple not normally included in the standalone package.

Seems like someone forgot to post a note about the update here, which means i had no way of knowing a new version exists. Frankly this gets very frustrating, (not to mention annoying), because if the updates were important i had to make another build now only because i didnt know whats current. And why is that? Because two people only care about using a forumname that has never been theirs no matter if that means loosing any members. Well, so much for appreciation then i guess. If i didnt know that the VIP is mostly used by newcomers and people not related to this fine so called 'community' i would quit the whole damn thing on the spot,...

yogiholzer

Pinball Wizard
I just only wanted to let you know about the 3.29 version of the scripts in case you are not aware about and I wanted exactly to know about the VIP content. That's all.

I didn't want to start another discussion about com and org and what else, but only try to give information how to possibly improve the VIP. In case you don't want any of this information as soon as I get notice from and as far as I think about the VIP, please let me know and I don't bother you anymore with that.

Meecro Hyperion

Pinball Nudger
Your efforts are greatly appreciated Phoenixx!!!

I've put together a DVD for a few friends who aren't computer savvy, and without your installer, I'd have had to set everything up for them. As it is, they run your installer, drag and drop the Tables and Roms, and they're away!!!

Thanks heaps...

TheMcD

sXe And Better Than You
Phoenixx, the next time you update the VIP, include this .dll.

It goes into the main "Pinball" folder where the VPinball.exe is, unzipped.

That's a fix for using two versions of VP (namely 8 and 9) at once.

The McD

Attachments

maf

Anachronism
@The McD - so this is so VP8 and VP9 can be tried out without changing each other's settings, is that right?

Cheers.

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
According to Microsoft, msvcr71.dll is a core part of Microsofts Visual C++ 7.1 / 2003.

It is needed by various applications and controls GUI related things like dropdown menus, buttons, scrollbars, mouse events, etc.

Exactly what good should that file do with regards to VP?

And particularly with regards to the two version thing? (Which i still dont quite understand.)

Somehow i fail to see it, and personally i dont have any problem running VP8 and VP9 executables from within one folder without this file being present in it.

More details please...

maf

Anachronism
Yeah, I was wondering if I could just rename the VP9 executable and put it in my VP8 Pinball dir, and run both versions as necessary.

TheMcD

sXe And Better Than You
I re-installed using your newest VIP. Then I put VP9.0.2 into the Pinball folder and tried to run it.

That's what I did. Then I got the error that I need that DLL. That error has been duplicated, the reason is still unknown.

So there's something that needs that DLL. What it is? Dunno.

Just a suggestion, actually. Now that I read about the 4th thread asking about that DLL...

The McD

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
I see.

The problem is that Vista (no matter what flavour) doesnt install that file, which means sooner or later (depending on what games and apps somebody uses) that error might have cropped up anyway. The net is full of examples, google it and see for yourself. That means it has nothing to do with VP in particular as it is merely a core component needed by progs and apps that were compiled with older versions of Visual C++. And that clearly falls under the 'Operation System Maintenance' category, which is why i wont include the file in the VIP. Besides, i dont know if redistributing a MS System DLL without authorisation is even permitted. Probably not.

I do thank you for the suggestion though, only with decent user feedback i can make the VIP better.

maf

Anachronism
Besides, i dont know if redistributing a MS System DLL without authorisation is even permitted. Probably not.
Maybe this will help?

"An application should use and redistribute msvcr71.dll, and it should avoid placing a copy or using an existing copy of msvcr71.dll in the system directory. Instead, the application should keep a copy of msvcr71.dll in its application directory with the program executable."
I think it'd be okay to include a copy in the installer.

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters

Maybe this will help?

I think it'd be okay to include a copy in the installer.
Ah,...i just see you edited your second line,...was about to say that if that quote is true (source?) then it should actually not be a legal problem to redistribute the file.

Anyhow, i still dont think it is a good idea in a 'Stick with the Essentials' kind of way. I cant possibly include all system files anyone might ever be missing, (for whatever reason), if i begin to do that then i might end up distributing half the operation system with the application. (Yes, its an exaggeration, but you know what i mean.) And thats not good program distribution practice in my opinion, like DirectX and .NET and other OS related stuff this should be taken care of by the user on a systemwide level (and consciously) since it affects a wide variety of applications. My advice is to download it and stick it in the Windows\System folder, every application that needs it ought to find it there.

maf

Anachronism
Yes, I agree with you there. It's probably best to let people download msvcr71.dll if necessary rather than distributing it.

You can't anticipate all the world's problems in advance :)

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
I would have included it on the spot if it were a file that is exclusively tied to VP or VPM. But since it is not i really think it is in a users best interest to fix that on a systemwide level so they dont run into that same problem again as soon as any other application needs that file.

Sometimes i dont understand Microsoft at all. They know perfectly well that many older apps need certain older files, yet they stop including them with their newer OSes despite the fact that there doesnt seem to be any good reason at all to do so. Result: The error-message-tormented user has to get them elsewhere, (after just shelling out 100+ bucks for the latest 'NextGen OS'), and in the end these files are on the system anyway. Now why couldnt they just have included them themselves? Why does a user that payed a lot of money for their OS have to get crucial core components from 3rd parties and integrate them in the system themselves? A similar case is older DirectX libraries,...i lost count how many DLLs starting with 'd3dx9_xx' (where xx is a number) i had to download only to get some of my stuff to work. If i were a OS critic i would say Vista is an incomplete Operation System. The sad thing is once the missing files are present everything runs just fine, which means if they had just put a little more effort into backwards-compatibility assurance there wouldnt be too much to complain about. That is what makes me understand these omissions even less,...

yogiholzer

Pinball Wizard
I read the post yesterday and wondered what's the connection to VP/VPM. I agree, the file doesn't belong into the VIP

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Ike Savage:
    where is the unapprove option, anyway? is that a super mod thing or something from the admin panel?
  • @ Ike Savage:
    oh wait, I see it
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    true, but they could also be invisible to users and perhaps allow the category to be removed
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Don't know, do know that if you delete a category all files would also be removed so that's bad,
  • @ Ike Savage:
    seems like we discussed it in some length at one point and came up with the current arrangement, but I don't have a strong opinion on that stuff. the one thing I do like is that I can clear out weaker tables from the main section without deleting them
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Sounds fine to me Ike, can't disagree with ya!
  • @ Ike Savage:
    is it that you want to declutter more of the resources section?
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No it's fine
  • @ Ike Savage:
    also, just to be clear-- the issue with "unapprove" is that you don't know if the table actually gets deleted from the server, right? AFAIK I have no way of seeing where the tables actually lie on the server, so it's something I can't test effectively
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    They wouldn't get deleted from the server, I don't think.
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Can we get back to the subdomain folders/files, the uploads.pinballnirvana.com folder is where uploads would need to be, just wondering what might need to be deleted..
  • @ Ike Savage:
    do you mind a phone call? probably easier to discuss, save some wear and tear on my hands, too
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No problems Ike, can't talk now but will try and set this up.
  • @ Ike Savage:
    okay, well let me know if you need space cleared up across the torrent area, because I have some ideas
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Yeah, noticed a .zip file contains many versions etc..
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Uploading a 1.34 GB Pink Floyd The Wall zip file via ftp to test...
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    The file is actually on the server in FP originals but isn't public.
  • @ Anthias:
    Um, so, Hi!. What did I miss? (he says as though he ducked to the toilet while the adds were on...)
  • @ AnonTet:
    Hi guys, I«m asking here as it might have a quicker response. How can I check the ball size used by authors in FP? or at least the default size if anyone knows. Thanks
  • @ Gimli:
    Most FP authors use the default size and don't know how to use BAM to alter it.
  • @ Gimli:
    I think it may be 13.8 though
  • @ AnonTet:
    Thanks. But while I've waited I've looked at a ring around a ramp in LotR that's 26mm so i figure the ball being 24mm. A bit short of real life ball size if that's so.
  • @ AnonTet:
    of course I could've used my brains earlier and create a table with some carefully spaced guides and check that the ball is in fact 27mm in diameter. Peeking at fp.exe and bam.dll and there's no way to change this. you can set the colour and the id to track it though (but that's known)
  • @ Gimli:
    With Bam custom ball coding you can create balls of any size...see my titorial
  • @ Gimli:
    +1
    @ Gimli: https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?threads/bam-feature-how-to-guides.19601/post-120547 +1