What todo in 2020 as Win10 continues to be a nightmare??

Tii

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
All
any ideas before Win7 goes dead? :pirat:

Last edited:
What's the issue with Win10, exactly? I've been using it for a couple years now, and no complaints, really.

IIRC you can get a new license for about a C note or less.

That said, I got my copy of Win10 when I bought a reconditioned machine. So it was painless in that sense, and wasn't too hard to get used to, personally.

if I had to actually pay for Windows (eww), I'd probably just skip that and upgrade to Linux. And if you needed to continue work on Win-only software, like FP, you could just set up a dual boot. So you'd boot in to Win to do dev work, and boot in to Linux for anything involving internet connection.

Or something like that. Machines are so cheap these days that you could also maintain one as a Win dev / gaming workstation, and one as your 'internet' machine, secured by an OS you won't have to worry about being 'cut off' in the future, like Linux.

Well my bluetooth connection is as buggy as fuck and yes I've reported it to the MS gods. I usually have to remove a device and then add it again to get it to work or sometimes when I go into settings I hit disconnect and it actually connects sometimes.

Well my bluetooth connection is as buggy as fuck and yes I've reported it to the MS gods. I usually have to remove a device and then add it again to get it to work or sometimes when I go into settings I hit disconnect and it actually connects sometimes.
I've had that problem for years running USB bluetooth and wireless dongles off a long USB extension cord. Happened with both Win7 and Win10, so I figured it was most likely the long cord.

In terms of my bluetooth speaker, as a last resort, I've had to do what you described above. But more often, all I need to do is physically reset my speaker in one of two ways. Only takes a few seconds of holding a button down on the speaker... pretty painless.

But with the other wireless dongles (keyboard and mouse), I merely switch the dongle to another open USB port. Possibly corrosion is a factor, not sure.

This stuff is slightly annoying, but a quick fix on the whole, and far easier than removing and re-adding a device in settings (ugh).

My version for Windows 7 64 bit is cracked so I'll never have issues thanks to a fellow VP author :) I also have a cracker that destroys the time base to Windows 7 so it will never default.

My version for Windows 7 64 bit is cracked so I'll never have issues thanks to a fellow VP author :) I also have a cracker that destroys the time base to Windows 7 so it will never default.
Where are you going to get your security updates when M$ stops supporting Win7?

Where are you going to get your security updates when M$ stops supporting Win7?

I'm not. I do NOT go online with Windows since there is too much at stake using it for such. I have a desktop machine that runs Windows 7 64 bit and a laptop that runs Linux Mint for going online.

It's nice to have two separate machines for two completely different things. Linux Mint is 100% more stable online and never needs an anti virus program running in the background. Windows does and on top of that, Windows constantly needs to be cleaned out where Linux does not.

Windows = Gaming. Linux = Online, graphics and music.

The nice thing about both OSes is that I can work on my graphics for tables using GIMP 2.10; both Windows and Linux has it on both of my systems.

Ah, nice setup. Good example of what I was talking about, earlier.

Also have the same kind of issues with my USB3 wifi dongle sometimes I have to physically unplug and re insert it to get the connection to work...it also states the wifi dongle could work better if connect via USB3 when it is connected via USB3 WTF?

Wished I never updated winblows, it was working fine before I updated it after the PC had been offline for 3 years.

Seriously these are serious bugs nothing less.

Don't have any such issues with my Nokia 7 plus running andriod one. I actually use my phone for all downloads these days.

So... what's the worst thing(s) that can be said about Win10? (I'm pretty much the antithesis of a 'Microsoft guy,' just to be clear)

Me? I've had some minor quibbles here and there, but nothing I couldn't really resolve after a search or two. There was one thing I was never able to do, and that was to enable searching for sub-files within a folder full of archives. (at one point I was having some issues with MAME, and needed to look for individual IC dumps within ROM sets) Fortunately it's no longer an issue.

I looked at the WP entry for Win10 just now, and it doesn't seem to mention any controversies. A google search turned up nothing but minor issues that had minor solutions, or possible workarounds.

Now I get that Windows will always be hugely targeted by troublemakers, but also that's why I'm very conservative with my permissions across the board. Win10 does seem like a logical step forward from Win7/8, with more user tools and such.

Meh?

I don't use or never have used Windows 10 but my mother says she would rather die than use it since she bought a new laptop with it installed. Been trying to find the time and funds to get down to see her and install Linux Mint for her. I think my mother is sick of the updates (which I KNOW you can turn off) and the outrageous loading times.

Personally, I'll NEVER go to Windows 10 as 7 - 64 bit works just about perfect as long and I don't go online. That's what Linux Mint is for.

So... what's the worst thing(s) that can be said about Win10? (I'm pretty much the antithesis of a 'Microsoft guy,' just to be clear)

Me? I've had some minor quibbles here and there, but nothing I couldn't really resolve after a search or two. There was one thing I was never able to do, and that was to enable searching for sub-files within a folder full of archives. (at one point I was having some issues with MAME, and needed to look for individual IC dumps within ROM sets) Fortunately it's no longer an issue.

I looked at the WP entry for Win10 just now, and it doesn't seem to mention any controversies. A google search turned up nothing but minor issues that had minor solutions, or possible workarounds.

Now I get that Windows will always be hugely targeted by troublemakers, but also that's why I'm very conservative with my permissions across the board. Win10 does seem like a logical step forward from Win7/8, with more user tools and such.

Meh?

Unless you go outside of normal Windows procedures, it seems like you can only delay updates, not turn them off entirely. Really, that's not necessarily a bad thing for an OS as heavily-targeted as Windows.

No idea about the outrageous loading times. My system boots really fast compared to older OS's and machines I've had. It's just a mediocre 3mhz desktop with 4gb RAM.

But if your mom's like a lot of people, her system might have become heavily cluttered over time. A couple minutes spent with MSCONFIG turning off 'autoboot' stuff might greatly clear that up. :)

EDIT: I get the feeling that the average Windows user doesn't pay as much attention as they should to Windows being a chronic target. In other words, a responsible user in this day and age should be running robust security on their system, without question.

Now Win10 does make this a little more painless by having the Windows Defender suite built in (which got good marks from the security community last time I checked), but any user should also be running plenty of browser protection. If you fail to run good security i general, you're probably going to run in to trouble down the line. While it's true you can blame that on Windows to an extent, you could also blame it on your own negligence if you're being honest with yourself.

Again, not trying to stick up for Windows or anything. If I ever needed to, I would without hesitation jump to Linux and likely not look back.

Last edited:
ChromiumOS is a form of Linux AFAIK, so yeah. Me like.

Also, both to Tii and druadic-- I totally get sticking with a non-internet, sealed-off form of Win7, but it does seem like there might be a future issue in doing so. I.e., certain apps you absolutely adore in Windows (those which also undergo ongoing development) will almost inevitably one day stop working under older Win versions, such as Win7.

I mean, you'll deffo have time to prepare for these situations, but you'll also have to deal with it one way or another, sooner or later.

Unless I'm missing something major, you're still facing the quandary down the road of getting out of Win apps entirely, or spending a C note or whatever to remain 'Windows-fresh' every five years or so. Something like that.

Regardless, I'd definitely post something like this to Reddit. I guarantee you'd get far better, more detailed answers than whatever my slack-head self could possibly come up with. :p

ok thank you for your input Ike!

:guitar:

If it gets to that point I'll drop Windows all together. Windows (to me) has gotten worse over the years and if need be, I'll just stick with Linux.

Easier to deal with simplicity than to deal with a bunch of damage to my hardware which Windows has a nasty rep of doing.

Thanks for the post Ike.

ChromiumOS is a form of Linux AFAIK, so yeah. Me like.

Also, both to Tii and druadic-- I totally get sticking with a non-internet, sealed-off form of Win7, but it does seem like there might be a future issue in doing so. I.e., certain apps you absolutely adore in Windows (those which also undergo ongoing development) will almost inevitably one day stop working under older Win versions, such as Win7.

I mean, you'll deffo have time to prepare for these situations, but you'll also have to deal with it one way or another, sooner or later.

Unless I'm missing something major, you're still facing the quandary down the road of getting out of Win apps entirely, or spending a C note or whatever to remain 'Windows-fresh' every five years or so. Something like that.

Regardless, I'd definitely post something like this to Reddit. I guarantee you'd get far better, more detailed answers than whatever my slack-head self could possibly come up with. :p

what about using Ubuntu ??

Easier to deal with simplicity than to deal with a bunch of damage to my hardware which Windows has a nasty rep of doing.
Well, shit. :(

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Itchigo has started a new thread called "Sounds library" in Visual Pinball and Visual PinMAME...
      Back