Where Is/Was "The History of Visual Pinball" Thread?

sleepy

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Titanic Hospital
Ike or anyone, was that here or in the old forum? :help:

I remember that one! I'm, like, 90% positive that was at the old forum, unfortunately.

Yep. It probably was.

Yeah, maybe somebody can restart the History of Visual Pinball as a Timeline on the wikipedia page.

I think I added the year 2000 reference to the article many years ago.
I know I did it, but you know wikipedia has open source editing, so that may no longer be my quote in the article, but it's alright to me.

The difference is that the wikipedia article is not as thorough as the forum History thread was. The forum History thread had all of the links and background.

that was a project i started around 2002 on VPF.COM, years before i joined the staff. loafer and someone else at the time was/were kind enough to take it seriously and sticky it.

as it transpired, the community was very gracious at filling in their experiences... and for a while i did a decent job of correlating the results. but eventually so much info poured in that i asked for someone in the community to step forward and take the project over. especially since i had moved on to other projects, such as VPFL and totally overhauling datadragon's VP install guide. unfortunately no one ever did step forward to help out, and the feedback wound up piling up, willy-nilly.

also around that time, i had promised john / tilt that i'd take over the VP interviews, but never did get around to it. if there's any particular thing that i let the scene down on, it was letting john patton down on the interviews.

at the same time, living in the past is a fool's errand. so it's been good to see brian's and so many other key names appearing on the farsight project. those guys have worked their asses off on PB simulation and could probably tell you all the tales you could possibly want to know about the history of VP and its trials and tribulations. but whatever...

I remember that there was some invaluable intricate detail in that thread that really helped to catch me up as a noob. It would be almost impossible to replicate it, unfortunately.

Brain don't know shit about the history of VP. Either that or he pretends not to, which could be the case as well.

The history of VP has been written. Many, most even of us have written it. To write it again is to re-write history, and that never works.

This seems to be the oldest working archive of the original VPF, altho little else appears available other than the front page:

Checking an earlier version from 2004, at the height of archive.org's stashing activity, there again seems little available beyond the front page. I've seen other webforums archived much more thoroughly than these cases, so I really don't know what the problem is.

Ooh... I actually found the original URL!

Still not archived, tho. I don't see it Google-cached, either.

Bummer. :/

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back