White Water WIP

In case anyone wants an idea of how decal overlays work, here are two views of the current WIP table showing both the VP parts only (plus backbox) versus the decal overlays:

Attachments

• preview_05decalview_190.jpg
    preview_05decalview_190.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 927
  • preview_05vpview_116.jpg
    preview_05vpview_116.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 551
Interesting. I wish I had the skills to do decal overlays with originals.

No answer to this one at VPF yet, so I guess I'll post it here too:

Ok, here's a potential snag for VPM and/or the IPDB I found while setting up the Rom Selector menu in the table script. I downloaded the latest full set of roms off the IPDB and I've found:

1> There is a ww_p2 romset there (L-2 + P2 Sound) , but VPM 1.53 says there is no such game rom set available. Did the VPM team forget to enable it or is that set non-existent or is it slated for the next VPM release or what?

2> The ww_p1 rom reports a missing rom (ww_p8.u6). I found this rom in the ww_p8 set, but I had to manually place a copy of the rom in the ww_p1 set and exit VP (to reinitialize VPM) and restart for the ww_p1 set to work. So either VP isn't checking for the rom in the right spot or the rom sets are set up wrong at the IPDB. I'm not sure why the ww_p1 set would be using a newer p8 rom, though. The list says it uses L-2 + P1 sound, so why is it using a P8 CPU in the first place???

Does anyone have a list of the major differences in the rom revisions and what differences the Home Rom offers?

Kinsey said:
Interesting. I wish I had the skills to do decal overlays with originals.

If there is enough interest, I willl be happy to do a tutorial thread over at P-O about how to put decals into tables. The methods I use are pretty easy and allow you to practically draw onto the screen. I'll post a thread and see if people want to know.

I always used clrmame pro for rom management. Here is what the sets contain (non merged sets) using datfile from pinmame itself:

ww_l2:
ww_u14.l1
ww_u15.l1
ww_u18.l1

ww_l3:
exactly the same files

ww_l4:
exactly the same files

ww_l5:
ww_u14.l1
ww_u15.l1
ww_u18.l1
wwatr_l5.rom

ww_lh5:
ww_u14.l1
ww_u15.l1
ww_u18.l1

ww_p1:
ww_u14.l1

ww_p8:
ww_u14.l1

I wondered if that are the right ones and checked them in VPM running setup.exe. I got this message for all of them: Rom set is good; VPinMAME is able to use it.

I don't believe the sets are right containing some or all the same files.

I hope that helps a little.

I'd still like to know why there's a ww_p2 rom set at the IPDB but it doesn't exist in VPM (i.e. whether it's slated for next VPM or it's a non-supported set or a duplicate of an existing set that was labeled improperly).

Pacdude said:
No answer to this one at VPF yet, so I guess I'll post it here too:

Ok, here's a potential snag for VPM and/or the IPDB I found while setting up the Rom Selector menu in the table script. I downloaded the latest full set of roms off the IPDB and I've found:

1> There is a ww_p2 romset there (L-2 + P2 Sound) , but VPM 1.53 says there is no such game rom set available. Did the VPM team forget to enable it or is that set non-existent or is it slated for the next VPM release or what?

ww_p2 will work fine in the next vpm release - it's a newly obtained set that wasn't added at the time of the last one.

2> The ww_p1 rom reports a missing rom (ww_p8.u6). I found this rom in the ww_p8 set, but I had to manually place a copy of the rom in the ww_p1 set and exit VP (to reinitialize VPM) and restart for the ww_p1 set to work. So either VP isn't checking for the rom in the right spot or the rom sets are set up wrong at the IPDB. I'm not sure why the ww_p1 set would be using a newer p8 rom, though. The list says it uses L-2 + P1 sound, so why is it using a P8 CPU in the first place???

The first romset obtained by us for whitewater was L5, therefor the parent set of whitewater remained as L-5. If you're using split sets, then it expects to pull any missing roms from that parent.

The entire sequencing of IPDB's romset collections for this game is rather confusing. A chip with a P (for Prototype) designation would mean that prototype sound roms 'should' be used with prototype game roms. P-8 is the latest available prototype game rom we know of, so we packaged the prototype sound roms with it. Since L-2 is using release-level sound roms, changing to proto sound roms might not play all the sound data that is present, so it's mispackaged on IPDB's side.

Does anyone have a list of the major differences in the rom revisions and what differences the Home Rom offers?

L6 isn't released yet - as this fixes a bug caused by stuck switches on a home machine, I don't think the bug can be reproduced in VP as a hit target is pulsed - switch can't get stuck.

RevHistory for LH-5 (Home Improvement version)
http://www.gaspar.net/05120901.htm

RevHistory L5 and older:
Whitewater Pinball Software Revision Information

U6: Version L-5
Checksum: 6F05
Date: May 20, 1993

Changes from revision L-4:

Fixed the GI power saver in attract mode.

Fixed a problem with ball search interacting badly with a broken
Gold Mine opto switch.

Fixed a volume problem with sounds during attract mode.

U6: Version L-4
Checksum: DA04
Date: February 4, 1993

Changes from revision L-3:

Fixed a spelling error in German text: "Total Bonus"

Locked balls in the Whirlpool popper are now released on the
first score. This affects both Gold Rush quick multiball and
Whirlpool Challenge.

The secret passage switch was being marked bad, since it is hit
so infrequently. Its alarm count has been increased.

Fixed a bug that prevented a game from being started when both
Bigfoot opto switches are broken. An error is now detected and
reported in this case.

U6: Version L-3
Checksum: 8403
Date: January 27, 1993

Changes from revision L-2:

Fixed the USA 6/$2 pricing mode.

U6: Version L-2
Checksum: 2A02
Date: December 28, 1992

Changes from revision L-1:

Added USA 6/$2 pricing as default.

Added French translations.

Fixed a sound problem at the end of Whirlpool Challenge during the
grace period. The sound would go away if the player did not make
a shot.

The Hotfoot jackpot switch was being marked bad, since it is hit
so infrequently. Its alarm count has been increased.

U6: Version L-1
Checksum: F301
Date: December 10, 1992

Initial release to production.

Changes from P-8:

Enhanced Vacation jackpot.

Removed ball poppers from Autocycle Burn-in.

Aside from that and the file that comes with the romset for the revision history, no idea what's changed.

Ok, after a massive 4 hour nightmare of getting the ramps properly aligned with the decals and to properly let the ball go under/over each other without stopping the darn thing, I've arrived at a fully aligned and functioning ramp system.

I've also added most of the basic playfield fading lights, added the switches to the playfield and put in the script framework.

I still need to hook up the switches and over half the solenoids in the script, do flashers and GI lighting (which will requires a 1600x1200 snapshot to make reels from), put in the rest of the blocker walls for the decals and redo the ramp ends with wall-based ones so they're fully transparent.

Then there's the matter of Big Foot. I need some footage to animate him properly.

Attachments

• preview_06_562.jpg
    preview_06_562.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 606
Current WIP snapshot:

-GI Fading lights are in place

-4 of the 7 flashers are in place.

-Bigfoot toy is in place and working

-Game is fully playable.

Still tweaking a few things as they come up in test play.

Attachments

• preview_08_181.jpg
    preview_08_181.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 632
And putting the ball through the flipper fix in the fucking script. Cunt.

I'd call this repeated user abuse, staff. I think maybe it's time for his next ban.... bye bye Shocky!

Why? was this one done before the core as well? The fix is in there as well.

I already explained it dumbass. I used the skeleton core from another table to build the script in this one (plus there is no way to have NO sound in a WPC table for the 2nd set of flippers without using a modified subroutine, which was already in the skeleton script I took it from. I intended to remove the speed line since it's not needed, but clearly forgot about it, seeing as it has NO effect on the gameplay WHAT-SO-EVER)

Unbelievable as it may seem, I really couldn't actually give a shit how I do the solenoids for the flippers. Only YOU seem to think it matters. Look at Monopoly. It uses the core. Big fucking deal. The flipper behavior works the same either way. But I can see where a lunatic nutjob would think it makes a difference seeing as you can't understand coding enough to tell when there's a fucking rom menu in the game and so you look for a COMMENT to explain it's a flipper fix. You wouldn't have even fucking noticed otherwise because you can't read code for shit!

How do I access Sorcerer's rom menu?

Unbelievable as it may seem, I really couldn't actually give a shit how I do the solenoids for the flippers. Only YOU seem to think it matters.

Yes I believe you, you don't care how you do flippers.
'Only I seem to think it matters'. LOL.

Answer a dumbass a question if you will. Would not a second set of flippers make some kind of racket as well? Would you not be able to hear the second set? Or would you not be able to hear the first set, but only the second set, if there was two sets, and you are simulating the second set's sound, or the first set, or one flipper of each set? Do you use a special imported sound, made by two flippers working? That's what I would do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back