Wipe Out (Gottlieb, 1993) VP9

VP9 Gottlieb SS Recreation Wipe Out VP9 v1.01 [DT]

No permission to download
Solid State Machines
TAB added another plastic and fixed the left inlane text. Uploaded 1.3, and then I think we'll leave it alone for a few days.

Thanks Tab & Destruk - another great collaboration.:clap:

Thanks Destruk & TAB .. fantastic job!

By the pit, you mean the upkicker on the right?

Yep, that's the one. I always call them pits, since Rollergames has a similar one and that's what they call it.

It registers the shot, holds down the switch, the game fires the solenoid to make it release the switch and the ball is released on the ramp. Making a true Z axis kick of the ball in a multiball table is difficult - I did that with my Ripleys and Lord of the Rings - and using a bunch of kickers to manually animate it looks stupid IMO, so I left it easy.

Ah, I see! I was just curious about that. :)

Last edited:
I came up with the solution for Rollergames' VUK too... With 3 or 4 different physics involved in the various versions of VP, each solution has to be different. I just skimped out on this one instead of dealing with it. If you run across any other changes or ideas for Wipe Out, please post them.

If you run across any other changes or ideas for Wipe Out, please post them.

The table is playing pretty good now. You and Tab did a terrific job. I see you added the pop sound effect, when the ball goes to the launcher. Nice touch!

I'm still getting that Snow Board Ramp glitch though. I'm going to see if I can try to exactly pin point where it's occurring. At the moment, I believe it's coming from where the ramp and tunnel connect.

Oh, can you show us what you got so far for the animation on the Slolum? We (as in the members) might be able to come up with a solution for that, if we just can see it in action.

Last edited:
First - Sounds let grow the table big. Everyone has the sounds and they are scripted ;)
...and having slalom pic with 5 degrees to right and left. But remember the bumpers doesn't move.

I think the second one looks better - because the first one changes degree on the X/Y axis instead of Z axis like it should be. However, importing it into VP 6/7/8 doesn't seem to work very well and the bumpers won't move for the slalom lights.

Attachments

• Slalom1.jpg
    Slalom1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 287
  • Slalom2.jpg
    Slalom2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 283
I think the second one looks better - because the first one changes degree on the X/Y axis instead of Z axis like it should be. However, importing it into VP 6/7/8 doesn't seem to work very well and the bumpers won't move for the slalom lights.

Although, the second one does look better. The first one looks more realistic to the actual machine.

The slope moves back and forward, it never tilts. Also, there were only two positions (easy and hard) for the Slalom, not three like in your images.

Last edited:
You're right. I got confused by the DMD with the tilting text I suppose.

I'll need to try this - how about 2 inverted dropwalls for the movement of the surface, 6 emreels on the backglass to reposition each lamp on the slalom slope with on/off (6 frames each), and probably 2 invisible flippers to bump the ball around... hmm...that might work.

I'll need to try this - how about 2 inverted dropwalls for the movement of the surface, 6 emreels on the backglass to reposition each lamp on the slalom slope with on/off (6 frames each), and probably 2 invisible flippers to bump the ball around... hmm...that might work.

Sounds like a plan! I hope it works! :crosses fingers:

Well, the 16:9 wipe out on vpforums.org has the ramp working fine with vp9 features. The VP8/7/6 build didn't work with the emreels for different POV/Inclinations. :( I can try with full table images - 4 should be ok there. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the table release TAB and Destruk I'll check it out ASAP. :)

I have the rom from VPF.
Hi friend ! I added your rom, the game works perfect except that the numbers of the scoreboard do not even appear in the backglass, that is, "I play blindly" could you tell me why? Thank you in advance and I appreciate your contribution

Hi friend ! I added your rom, the game works perfect except that the numbers of the scoreboard do not even appear in the backglass, that is, "I play blindly" could you tell me why? Thank you in advance and I appreciate your contribution
This is one of the most common problems when running VP with VPM. The score DMD is likely sitting behind the representation of the table. Good news-- if you search the site, you should find different suggestions and solutions to this one.

One particular solution I remember is in running the table in windowed mode, then moving it out of the way until you spot the score DMD, then physically dragging it in front of the table. Next time run the table in full screen mode and the DMD should remain in front like it's supposed to. Other solutions involve changing a value in the table script or registry IIRC.

Give the first two options a shot, and if they don't work, tell me the VP version you're using and I'll check it out myself.

Thanking you in advance for your generosity, I comment that the problem is not that the score is covered by the table (in fact I use two monitors as shown in the attached photo taken midle of game) but that the score does not appear in the backglass of the second monitor (as if was virtually burned). Obviously I have tried your two suggestions anyway. The VP version is 10.6.0.0 and PinMAME 3.2.0. Thank you !!

Attachments

• Wipe Out 1.1.0_Two Disp.jpg
    Wipe Out 1.1.0_Two Disp.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 107
Ah, so you're using the fullscreen version of the game with VPX. Tell you what, though-- the table version here was designed for VP9, not VPX. That may be the problem right there.

So there are different ways to go at this point:

1) You could try running this in VP9, instead.

2) You could stay in VPX and spend more time trying to locate the hidden DMD.

3) You could try downloading a VPX FS version of the table and running that, instead.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back