Iron Man (Stern, 2010) ULTIMATE

Stern SS Recreation BAM FP Iron Man (Stern, 2010) ULTIMATE v1.06-2 (Slamt1lt's Collection)

No permission to download
by GeorgeH, polygame, rom, SLAMT1LT, Wild
at 2018-12-09
Type Recreation (real pinball)
Manufacturer Stern Pinball, Incorporated (1999-NOW), Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tradename Stern
Date 2010
IPD No. 5550

Custom Physics

Description
NOTE: This table uses Dynamic Flippers which requires BAM version 1.4-233 (or later) that was released on July 15, 2018. It is very easy to upgrade. You can download the most current version at the following link. This installation file installs Future Pinball and BAM at the same time. If you have either Future Pinball or BAM already installed, you can still run it and it will bring everything up to date. This table can actually be played without using BAM but the performance is not so good.

=== Version 1.06-2 ===

I have been struggling with the bounce control settings of dynamic flippers. I finally made a breakthrough with Ravarcade's help. He posted a new version of the code in the script for bounce control and also provided some settings that I could use on this table. I used his feedback even though I made a few changes to his bounce control settings. Slamt1lt posted on his site that he hopes I come up with a fix for the bounce. This is it! I suppose I was confused with how much higher the settings were required to be over and above what Ravarcade used on his version for Physics 1.0. Apparently the bounce control settings interact with the other settings in the XML file and make it necessary to use higher settings. Who'd a thought?

I have decided to delete Version 1.06-1 from the downloads. I don't see a need to keep it. Everything I said about 1.06-1 applies to Version 1.06-2.

When everything comes together on a table (as I feel things have on this table), it seems to become a sort of magical experience for me when I play it. I guess that is why I continue to work on pinball tables. I suppose I need to go back and see if I need to change other tables I have posted that use dynamic flippers. I hope you enjoy Iron Man ULTIMATE 1.06-2!

George

=== Version 1.06-1 ===

For a long time, Iron Man has been my "Go To" pinball table that I play when I'm not sure what table to select. I often select it to play with friends. It has more visual things happening than most tables with lots of sparks and Slam's videos. The game play is a lot of fun also, especially when you get concurrent multiballs. It is fun for novice players even though guys that play it in competitions consider it to be difficult. It is difficult to complete the "Jericho" and "Do or Die" modes. These modes give novices objectives that they can try but it is not necessary to complete them to have fun with the table.

Slamt1lt's Iron Man ULTIMATE 1.06 is the last version before he removed it from his web site. Slam never posted the table on PinSimDB although TerryRed posted a DOFLinx version.

I like Slam's table although I have never cared much for night versions of tables. I looked for Day versions of the table. The first version of this table posted on PinSimDB has a day version but the colors look washed out. I found a different playfield texture that used a photo of a stripped table where the colors on it pop. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate a high resolution version although it still looks pretty good. I ended up editing the texture quite a bit. I extended the usable area upward and to the sides. It showed raw areas of wood where the ramps attached to the playfield. I filled these in. I also filled in numerous holes. In particular, the Iron Monger had a hole too large for the model being used on the table so raw wood from the photo was exposed on the sides. ...So I made the hole smaller. All of this really cleaned up the texture. The night version hides many of these problems so they are not very noticeable even though the same problems exist on it. For some reason, the table never had an opening in the apron that allows you to see the plunger. I added one on the day version. For those of you that want a night version, I included a version of it with all the other enhancements I describe here.

It is difficult to see the lane lights (S.H.I.E.L.D. Lanes) on the upper right hand side of the table from most views. I added the two lane lights to the back wall leaving the lane lights on the playfield. I had some difficulty with the lights until Wild was kind enough to make a new model for the light. It matches the lights on the playfield and looks perfect!

I created custom physics for this table. The XML file for the custom physics has been added to the script so you don't need to deal with any extra files other than the table itself. I set the value for damping a bit lower than I usually do so the ball spins a bit more. If you want to verify that the content of the XML file is working, you can open the BAM menu while playing a game and look at the bottom right side of the screen and verify that it says the following "Physics XML: from VBS script". If you want the ball to play faster, you can increase the table slope. Open the table editor and change the table slope from 6.8 in the right pane to the desired number. The maximum limit is 10.0. Note that the changes will not take effect until you save and then you can play the table.

This version also implements dynamic flippers that I have described in previous postings of other tables. I have added some coding that allows you to table to play without using BAM version 1.4-233 or later but I don't like the way it performs because it turns off these flipper enhancements. I have found the dynamic flippers are more precise that the default flippers. Both Gimli and Slamt1lt have told me that the ball needs to bounce more off the flippers. I worked several hours on this and watched a number of videos of this table. I think I have the settings adjusted better so it performs more like a real world table. Please provide feedback.

The table does have some unusual features that you might miss. You can press the "Special 2 Key" to change the pictures on the shelf to the left of the table. The instruction cards are mounted in a shadow box that has some depth if you move the camera around. The Iron Monger pit has a transparent glass on top of it when the Iron Monger is retracted. You can move the camera around and see the model in 3D inside the pit.

I added a version of the table for use on a desktop PC that has a single monitor with a portrait orientation. I call it a rotated display. This version will be of interest to you if the monitor on your PC can be rotated 90 degrees. I have added a screenshot of it that you can view on the "Images" tab of this posting. I have uploaded a version like this on other tables and found that it gets downloaded but I'm not sure if anyone uses it. Please post feedback if you are using it. NOTE: This version will not be useful on pinball cabinets or PCs which have a normal landscape orientation. The download includes directions on how to set up this version of the table.

There were a couple of problems with stuck balls that I fixed. One location was just to the right of the bottom bumper. I extended an existing wall further to the left. Also, a ball would sometimes get stuck in the orbit that goes around the back of the table. I made the guide there come to a bit of a peak to encourage the ball to move either to the left or right.

I also added 3 table loading textures, a HUD Toggle Key and a plunger mod that I describe on the "Info" tab.

George

Tables of collection Slamt1lt's Collection :
Attack From Mars ULTIMATE 1.02-2
Iron Man ULTIMATE 1.06-2
Jaws ULTIMATE 1.05-3
Medieval Madness ULTIMATE 1.02-2
Phantom of the Opera ULTIMATE 1.04-3

This table is a mod of :
Iron Man ULTIMATE 1.04 Physics 2.6
Info
There are three versions of this table:

1) Day Version – The playfield and lighting of the game room are lighter than the Night version. I added a special new texture for the playfield.

2) Night Version – The Night version uses the same playfield and game room lighting as Slamt1lt's version. One of the guys on the forum that uses a virtual reality (VR) headset reports that using a night version helps the grain of the VR screen be less obvious.

3) Rotated Display – This is the Day version of the table for use on a desktop PC that has a single monitor with a portrait orientation. This version will be of interest to you if the monitor on your PC can be rotated 90 degrees. This version won't work on a pinball cabinet.

If you use Hyperpin, PinballX or other front end program, there is Wheel Art included in the downloads of the day and night versions of the table.

"How To" Section

I added three table loading textures and kept the existing one. Two of the textures that are saved to the table are oriented in portrait format and the other two are oriented in landscape. All of the textures have been saved to all versions of the table. If you would like to switch to a different texture, open the Future Pinball editor for the table and click on the "Tables" pull down menu. Then select the "Table Info" option. Under the option for "Loading Picture", you can select the following:

IronManLoadingWide1 – This is Slamt1lt's texture in landscape orientation that includes directions for the arc reactor.

IronManLoadingWide2 – This is the texture in landscape orientation that was posted on the very first version of this table that was posted on PinSimDB.

IronManLoadingPortrait1 – This is a new texture I created that is set to portrait orientation and includes Slamt1lt's directions for the arc reactor.

IronManLoadingPortrait2 – This is the same portrait texture without the directions.

Those of you that have pinball cabinets may want to use the versions with portrait orientation and should be displayed correctly on your cabinet.

Slamt1lt always added default high scores to his tables and they are on this table also. Some of us do not like default high scores but they were left in place out of respect for Slam. They are easily removed. Open the table in the Future Pinball's editor and click on the "Table" pull down menu and then select the "Table Info" option. Delete the entries under "High Scores Defaults" that have labels numbered 1 through 4. If you have played the table, you will need to press the button on this same screen named "Reset fpRAM file to Defaults". Pressing this button will delete the fpRAM file for the table. This will also delete any high scores and settings that you may have saved so it is advised that you delete the default high scores soon after downloading so you don't loose data.

I added the HUD Toggle Key. Press the HUD Toggle Key to toggle the heads up display (HUD) off and on. The setting is then saved to the fpRAM file in your Future Pinball folder. When you close the table and open the table the next time, the setting will be the same as you set it up in the previous session.

I performed a modification to the plunger so it operates more smoothly. It allows better control of the ball when it is launched. The plunger mod does require that you hold the plunger down a bit longer than on previous versions of the table. Just press the plunger key and hold it. Then watch the plunger withdraw and then release it at the desired point. It won't work if you press the plunger key and immediately release it.

George
Rules
The Internet Pinball Database does not have a rule sheet for this table. I found one at:

George
  • 174788.png
    174788.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 128
  • 174789.png
    174789.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 118
  • 174797.png
    174797.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 92
  • 174792.png
    174792.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 133
Author
GeorgeH
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from GeorgeH

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back