10th Inning (United Mfg. Co., 1948) VP8 by Warrior

VP8 United EM Flipperless Recreation 10th Inning (United Mfg. Co., 1948) VP8 by Warrior vBeta 2

No permission to download
Electro-Mechanical Machines

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
This is an oldie that was sitting in our resources, but had lost almost all info. I've tried to restore the entry as best I can, and I should probably try to figure out if Warrior ever released an updated version.

It doesn't look like the original "Warrior" ever set up an account here, and offhand I suspect he didn't migrate to the new VPF, either. Maybe @druadic if you know of more tables he did, you could chime in...?

IPDB entry:
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3788

Note: the following is from the read-me, which is naturally going to be somewhat outdated:
Revision History:

Beta 2 (7/21/01)
-Sounds added to the table.
-Some minor adjustment of some kickout angles.
Note: I have also been working on a Tech beta 4-specific version of this table which includes last score saving and makes use of some TB4-specific features. These features will be integraterd as soon as a "stable" tech beta 4 version comes out.

Beta 1 (7/6/01)
-Initial public release of 10th Inning.

About this table:

10th Inning was a very early novelty flipper game (in fact, I believe it's the earliest flipper game recreated in VP to date) released by United Manufacturing Co. (UMC) in 1948. It was a countertop game, and would most likely have been found in five-and-dime stores and similar locations. Although United did produce pinball machines (mostly bingo pins, although they did produce a handful of pitch-and-bats as well) for approximately twenty years from 1942-1962, they are better known for their shuffle alley bowlers. The United name was used by Williams for shuffle bowlers from the time they purchased UMC in the sixties until into the eighties.

One feature to note on this table was the early version of a "Running Man Unit" used on the table which used balls as the runners. When the runners advanced, the whole unit would rotate to advance the runners, and was a precursor to the running man units seen on later pitch-and-bats. Bally's Heavy Hitter, a pitch and bat contemporary to 10th Inning, used a similar running man unit. For my recreation, the runners are advanced along the base paths by kickers. Although this effect looks cool on it's own, it's not an accurate depiction of the original table.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a whole lot of info on this table. I got the idea to do the table from searching through the Internet Pinball Database for baseball-themed pinball machines. I chose this one for a couple of reasons: First of all, the available pictures of the table, although of a badly thrashed example (I take it fifty plus years tend to be somewhat less than kind to a pinball machine) looked like they'd be workable (and the ruleset for the table looked like it could be interpolated fairly easily), and because I thought it would be cool to do a "Virtual Restoration" of the table.

I took the IPD pictures and started retouching in Paint Shop Pro. The work required for this proved extensive, and almost ended up taking more time than I've spent so far building the table in VP. The picture still needs work, and will improve with future table releases.

Rules:

For the most part, I'm guessing on the rules for the table. The Ball Release Button (Enter) releases a ball into play (note that the actual machine doesn't have a plunger, so for this version the ball is kicked into play when the release button is pressed.) From there, it's pretty self explanitory, as hitting kickers on the playfield will advance the "runners" on the bases and score runs. The game ends when three "outs" are recorded when balls are drained.

To do:

-The kickers probably still need to be adjusted to some degree. Right now, I have them set in a way that they should all return the ball to one of the flippers. I doubt that this is accurate. If you would like to adjust the kickout angles, I have put them all in one convenient location in the script (the KickoutTimer_Timer() function.) The script should also be commented fairly well.
-The graphics still need a little work, as there are still some artifacts left on the table picture.
-a better backdrop would be nice too. When I have some time, I'll make one, unless someone else wants to take a shot at it.
-The reset routines are pretty basic. These need some work too.

If you own this table, or know someone who does, I would be very interested to find out any info I possibly can. Please either contact me at [email protected] or at the Visual Pinball boards at ShivaSite if you can provide info. Bug reports, feedback and comments can be directed to the same address.

SMALL FLYER:
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?attachments/10th-inning-flyer-jpg.16448/

CABINET:
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?attachments/10th-inning-cab-jpg.16449/

IN-GAME SHOT:
index.php

DOWNLOAD :

Hello Ike.

I just noticed this and wanted to reply. Warrior only did I THINK one or two tables. This is the one I know of and I enjoyed it actually; it was one of the few tables I played from another author besides most of Starman7007 yummy stuff.

The last known update was for VP8 if I'm correct. I could be wrong though.

I was thinking about updating his graphics for him, no credit to myself as I really wanted Warrior's table to stand out. I'll have to look about for another decent play field image to do this. I doubt he'll care if just the graphics are updated as I'll leave his scripting alone. I would like to add the cabinet side wood along the play field to make it look more realistic. I may just TRY to find Warrior and ask or perhaps he would like to do a "collaboration" project for this table.

Let me know. Personally this was a fun table but most of the VP community found it to be basically boring. I remember posts about this and it was kind of sad, but I for one would like to see Warrior's table (even if it's just one table) updated.

Hello Ike.

I just noticed this and wanted to reply. Warrior only did I THINK one or two tables. This is the one I know of and I enjoyed it actually; it was one of the few tables I played from another author besides most of Starman7007 yummy stuff.

The last known update was for VP8 if I'm correct. I could be wrong though.

I was thinking about updating his graphics for him, no credit to myself as I really wanted Warrior's table to stand out. I'll have to look about for another decent play field image to do this. I doubt he'll care if just the graphics are updated as I'll leave his scripting alone. I would like to add the cabinet side wood along the play field to make it look more realistic. I may just TRY to find Warrior and ask or perhaps he would like to do a "collaboration" project for this table.

Let me know. Personally this was a fun table but most of the VP community found it to be basically boring. I remember posts about this and it was kind of sad, but I for one would like to see Warrior's table (even if it's just one table) updated.
Been a long-long, time, Will.
Thank you...!

Ike,

I have contacted Warrior and am currently awaiting a response.

With permission I will redraw everything by hand to make it look more 3D. I'll add the side wood around the play field as well but I won't touch his scripting. I'll see what he says. I also have video and sounds from this machine if he lets me add them. Perhaps a "collaboration" project might be fun with Warrior. I'll mention that to him.

Just FYI.

PS: The email addy no longer works above so I will TRY to get to this table ASAP out of RESPECT for Warrior. I don't think he would mind.

Last edited:
PS: The email addy no longer works above so I will TRY to get to this table ASAP out of RESPECT for Warrior. I don't think he would mind.
I highly doubt he would, yeah.

That said, we probably need to revisit the traditional mod rules for situations like this. It was one of my projects on the back burner, but if necessary I can probably try to whip up a community post.

Basically-- I don't think it makes sense to be as strict as we used to about waiting for permission, and about what's allowed to be modded or not modded. The one thing I do think a modder needs to understand is that if an author does reappear and says "I don't permit this," then the site still has to comply with removing it. That turns modding in to a much more practical affair, one which needs far less rules and regulations than formerly.

It has been how many YEARS since this one was updated and I can't get a hold of Warrior so I doubt he would care, but I need a much more decent image of the play field so I start to redraw this one while working on the others I currently have on my hard drive.

I'll have to ask around for this play field but I THINK I know where to ask for one.

Well, I found the glass image and it's PERFECT. Now I need a really nice play field image to boot and I'll start on this one.

There are some lighting areas that were never added to this so once I begin I will implement those as well. STILL need a nice play field image though.

There are some lighting areas that were never added to this so once I begin I will implement those as well. STILL need a nice play field image though.
It really is a charming game!

I could try to search again for a better PF image if/when the table nears 'top of your list.' For example, I haven't done P2P stuff for years, but maybe there's something there...?

Ike,

I've tried to find something but nothing for me. It would take way too long to redraw this by hand for me so if you can find something please do. Much appreciated.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back