Bally 2 in 1 (Bally, 1964) Problem

dirtcar8

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
1964 Bally 2in1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some help with my 1964 Bally 2 in 1. It has a problem with the credits. I'm not running a coin mech. When I push the start botton the credit real just runs. At first it just took one credit, then two on the next game, then three , then four and so on, so on. Now the last two times I tried it it took 194 and 211. I'm keeping count on the games played counter. Just keeps getting worse.

I've looked at most connections and can't see any difference. Played with the contacts and don't see anything sticking. Once the credit real stops running I can add some more credits manually and push start and it plays fine. Try and play the next game it it just takes off running again. This is my first machine and I don't know much about them. Just looking at the obvious and I'm lost. I don't even know the correct name for the components. Hoping somebody can lead me in the right direction.

Thank in advance for any help.

Duane in Tennessee

Hello,

Yep, it's a 2 In 1. The picture posted is just like my machine. I've called myself checking the leaf switches. Just haven't found the right one yet. This thing is full of them. The thing that gets me is how it keeps growing the number of credits required to start the game. I've found some loose fuse holders and a couple of the pin connectors have some pitting where they may have been arching. Still pushing things around in there trying to find a stuck switch. Could it be one in the backbox?? Haven't messed around in there. I've been focusing on the motor that's running when the switch is stuck. After the counter clicks off enough games if will reset itself. 211 was the number last time I tried.

Thanks.

Duane in Tennessee

Glad you found it
and yeah the older EM's sure did have tons of leaf contact switches in them
as seen here I'd still check them all out
as it still sounds like a stuck one somewhere

Attachments

• 2 in 1 cab.JPG
    2 in 1 cab.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 231
Hello,

I did some more digging around in the backbox and narrowed it down to the player up unit.

http://images20.fotki.com/v1534/photos/3/36373/9307831/IMG_20130404_174018-vi.jpg

This is the other side.

http://images61.fotki.com/v439/photos/3/36373/9307831/IMG_20130404_174037-vi.jpg?1365123506

Now this is what I discovered. The black coil is not traveling it's full distance. When I manually cycle the coil it still will not stop the machine from running and allow it to enter play mode. When I cycle the copper coil it trips the wheel and enters play mode. This is done by a pin on the nylon gear the triggers a leaf switch. What I can see is the nylon gear is just barely creaping during a cycle. Maybe 3 or four thousands of an inch. Eventually it will creap enough to trip the leaf switch I mentioned earlier. I noticed the black coil is getting hot but it's cycling constantly. So I would think that's normal for it to get hot while it's cycling too much. I don't know what this should be doing. Any ideas what it proper action from this mechanism. I'm almost sure the creaping is my problem. The nylon gear should be moving further than it is. I'm trying to figure out what it should do during a cycle.

Sorry I don't know much about these. I got the machine a few years ago. I took it to a guy and paid him to clean, inspect, and lube it. From what I've seen he put a new set of bumpers on it and called it done. I've had to repair several things that were poorly repaired in the past. Several bulbs flicker so I know he didn't touch them like he said. I've had to do some resoldering on some things. I've found out I'm gonna have to fix it myself if I want it done right. Just need to learn how to.

Thanks.

Duane in Tennessee.

player up unit creeping is do to the tension of the spider wiping fingers . it looks as if the rivet disc is clean, some people lube these i prefer to run them clean and dry. added return strenght for the advance coil can be done by shortning the 2 springs by about a half inch and flip up a new loop to reinstall. if the subtract coil return action is to slow or creeps the spring on the nylon gear needs to advance 1 turn. i just worked on this same machine for someone with same problem. his machine didnt have the info and score cards in left side of apron. if possible could you photo these and add them to your response

Hello.

I've played around with spring tensions and can see a difference in the action. It's a little better but not right yet. The spider wiper is clean as you said. I'm thinking the shaft is gummed up and causing the wheel to drag. Do I need to take it apart and clean it up?? That's what it's looking like to me. One thing the hasn't made sense to me is the machine takes several credits to start the game but the second player only takes one credit. I don't understand why it trips correctly and the player one takes forever. Different actions?? I can't push the credit button and watch the reals at the same time. LOL.

Unfortunally I'm missing that card myself. I had it when I got the machine but the guy who "fixed it" kept it along with my coin mech. Must have "lost them" he said. I also lost a bunch of cash to him as well. Hope he chokes on them.

Still working on it tho. Hope I can fix it. Now player two score real has started acting up. One thing at a time.

Duane in Tennessee.

have you got all your issues worked out yet? send an update

try a product called Blue Shower
this stuff cleans contacts without taking them out or apart
it freezes dirt or crud on contacts then blows it off the contacts
make sure it's unplugged first just to ensure no shorts occur

Sorry, I've been on vacation and haven't been messing with the machine. I have it working better but still not right. Now the player two score wheel is sticking as well. I think it has some old oil that has gotten thick and sticky. I met a guy here in town that's been in the vending/arcade business for several years. He's going to come by and take a look at it and see if we can get it working. Hopefully we can get it back where it needs to be.

Thanks, Duane in Tennessee.

acetone will also do when it comes to cleaning out gunked up contacts
but you must be real careful cause it likes to melt most plastics

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    Do you know Fleet Foxes?
    never forget 'em after this tune
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    (AI prompt) describe the band Fleet Foxes
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, Fleet Foxes are an American indie folk band formed in Seattle, Washington in 2006. The band is known for their lush harmonies, intricate arrangements, and poetic lyrics. Their music draws on a wide range of influences, including folk, rock, and baroque pop.

The band's sound is characterized by intricate vocal harmonies, acoustic guitars, and a variety of other instruments such as mandolin, piano, and various percussion. Their lyrics often explore themes of nature, spirituality, and the passage of time.

Fleet Foxes gained critical acclaim with their self-titled debut album in 2008, which was followed by the equally well-received albums "Helplessness Blues" in 2011 and "Crack-Up" in 2017. The band has developed a dedicated fanbase and continues to be praised for their unique sound and songwriting abilities.
    (AI prompt) Helplessness Blues lyrics by Fleet Foxes
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, I was raised up believing I was somehow unique
    Like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see
    And
    ai coulda summed it up: — superb 3rd-wave folkrock :headphones:
    yeah wow, that Fleet Foxes tune is a trip?
    gangly guitars
    Liked it, nice shows!
    Have to learn to listen afterwards..
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    JonPurpleHaze rolls 2d6 and gets 10.
    thanks! well, next thing i'm looking for is songs about nursery rhymes
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    (AI prompt) adult nursery rhymes songs
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, 1. "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" - updated for adults with humorous lyrics about farm life and animal sounds.

2. "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" - a more mature version with deeper meaning and reflection on the beauty of the night sky.

3. "The Wheels on the Bus" - a fun and funky remix for adults, with a catchy beat and new verses about the daily commute.

4. "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" - a revamped version with lyrics about navigating the ups and downs of adult life.

5. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" - a grown-up twist on the classic nursery rhyme, exploring themes of friendship and loyalty.

6. "Humpty Dumpty" - a modern retelling of the tale of Humpty Dumpty, with a focus on resilience and overcoming obstacles.

7. "Hickory Dickory Dock" - a jazzy rendition of the traditional nursery rhyme, with a swingin' beat and updated lyrics.

haha, but WHO does those songs?
    (AI prompt) bands that do adult nursery rhymes songs
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, 1. The Wiggles - Known for their catchy and playful songs for children, The Wiggles have also released adult versions of nursery rhymes with a humorous twist.

2. Rockabye Baby! - This series of albums feature lullaby renditions of popular rock and pop songs, including nursery rhymes, that are perfect for both children and adults to enjoy.

3. The Nursery Rhymes - A band that specializes in creating modern and edgy versions of classic nursery rhymes, appealing to both kids and adults with their catchy tunes.

4. The Mother Goose Band - Combining elements of rock, folk, and pop music, The Mother Goose Band puts a unique spin on traditional nursery rhymes, making them fun and entertaining for listeners of all ages.

5. The Nursery Rhyme Rebels - This band takes nursery rhymes to a whole new level with their edgy and adult-themed versions, adding a modern twist to these timeless classics.
    Well anywhop, not getting paid this week means i have to tend to a cascade of unpaid bills, better get to it. Good chattin this week, have a beaut of a weekend!
    Free Bally! has left the room.
    Block has left the room.
    toddmanb has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: toddmanb has left the room.
      Back