A site name change, maybe?

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
I had a hard time convincing Jon to name our site TMOF, which stands for The Magic Of Flipperless. While I was gone, Jon lost the site's host, and when he brought it back, he renamed it Flipperless.

Now it's his site in a way, except that he has told me to make any changes I want. I would like to go back to TMOF, because to me, they really are Magical. But in fact, the site belongs to all of our members, so I'm puttin up this poll so we all can have a say in what name we use.

tiltjlp

Either flipperless.com or The magic of flipperless
not TMOF as that doesn't give out any information about the site
Remember you have to make it a simple as posible

Personally, I think something like "Pinball Magic" or "Silver Ball Magic" would get you more visitors. I can appreciate the flipperless theme, but a more balanced site would get more visitors at which point you can happily accost them with heavy flipperless themes.

Thanks a lot Dude, you may have given us a new name, I really like the sound and feel of Pinball Magic. And I agree that we need a name that doesn't seem to exclude anyone, since we do didcuss every sort of VP table, and also your superfine VPMs, as well as all VPMs. When JPH returns, I'll see about making Pinball Magic official.

tiltjlp

I vote with PacDudes suggestions here, though you do know JPH, for whatever reason seems to have a dislike for the term "magic", not sure as to why, I just know it is so, though I understand when I consult the dictionary. Perhaps another term maybe more apt....

Well, Jon keps saying I can change anything I want, so we'll see if he really means ANYTHING.

tiltjlp

Go for it John it's your baby, just sayin' what I knows that's all, I'm just backup, backup admin. ;)

Anyhows that's why he changed the name in the first place.

Oh, I know you're right about the Magic thing. When we started, he and I argued about the name long and hard, and for some reason, he finally gave in. He had wanted Vintage Pinball, which I think is too generic. To me all pinball, but especially Flipperless, is Magic, thus my name for the site. But it's not a big enough issue to do battle over.

But I do think Dude has a good point, in that a more generalized name might not scare away potential members. I only hope Jon isn't gone as long as I was. Sending you a PM Steve.

tiltjlp

I think you need the words Flipperless & Pinball in the site's name, so I'd suggest...

"Flipperless Pinball"

:)

I like the Magic of Flipperless better than Flipperless Pinball if it's going to go that route.

My suggestion was to attract more of a general crowd and then get them interested. Just going flipperless means some people won't even bother looking that are already convinced they have no interest before even checking it out. Plus the site isn't only about flipperless even if that is a primary goal of the site.

I agree having "flipperless" in the name is not a good idea. Besides, these tables came before there were such things as flippers, so calling them flipperless is somewhat demeaning IMO.

I'm thinking.... It may take a while! (squeak squeak :) )...

But as for what StevOz says, I agree in that we probably should concentrate on what they HAVE (a lot of good things to be said there) and not what they DON'T have.... However!::: Flipperless is the term by which these classic 'old-school' styles have become known, for better or for worse. If we had another term that discribed them in recognisable ways, but we don't because what they were developed over time into what we have now. The Model T was still a car - if you get my meaning, and unfortunately I can't really think of anything better to call them (After all, bagatelle is but one aspect - allbeit a huge one)

I do like the sound of both names. TMOF (the abreviation) is usefull in discussion as an abreviation - but maybe not as a site name, the magic of flipperless, it is a nice name in terms of romantic connotations and so forth, and Flipperless.com is short and sweet, and very marketable - but less "warm an fuzzy"..... There are definite pro's and cons whatever way. PackDudes sugestions, also, are very good. It all depends on where John and Jon think the site wants to go. Either way, I'll still be around. What it comes down to, no matter what, is this: This is a nice place to be. I'm sure it'll remain so :D

Short and sweet

I figure a site name should be short if possible. JPH wanted Vintage Pinball when we started, so maybe a merging of TMOF and that would be best, since I really like the Magic part. How does Vintage Pinball Magic sound to you guys?

To better reflect our discussion, I've changed the name of this thread, and added a My suggestion is below button to the poll. Thnaks for all the great input folks. Or maybe mystify everyone and go with Guess Your Best. :p

tiltjlp

Err, sounds good, just one thing, Vintage Pinball Magic becomes VPM. :D

Huh, I never noticed that. Oh, maybe Classic Pinball Magic. As y'll can see I really like the Magic part.

tiltjlp

Hmmm, Pinball Magic is too short, eh? How about, The Mysterious World of The Illustrious Silver Ball? ;)

That'll work Dude, at least until we can come up with something just a bit more convoluted and understated. :p

tiltjlp

Now if you wanted to make the site about preventing pinball machines from being neglected, you could just call it, "No Rusty Balls!"

Or, not that we would, we could start a bonfire. And then it would be Great Balls Of Fire. Your turn, Dude. :shock:

tiltjlp

Hmmm, how about a site run by authors for fans called, Please Play With My Shiny Balls! ;)

OK folks, I've decided on a new name for the site. And I think JPH will approve, since I got the idea from a post of his. The new name will be Pinball Nivava, and so now I need someone to lend me a hand.

I want to continue using the banner above, the one with the Pinball Cuties. So is there anyone with graphic skills who can morph a gif file for me. The new wording will be as shown below:

Pinball Nirvana!
Nudging Optional

And if a fancier script could be designed, that would be icing on the cake.

tiltjlp

tiltjlp said:
OK folks, I've decided on a new name for the site. And I think JPH will approve, since I got the idea from a post of his. The new name will be Pinball Nivava, and so now I need someone to lend me a hand.

I want to continue using the banner above, the one with the Pinball Cuties. So is there anyone with graphic skills who can morph a gif file for me. The new wording will be as shown below:

Pinball Nivava!
Nudging Optional

And if a fancier script could be designed, that would be icing on the cake.

tiltjlp

You better make up your mind :) the heading of my opened window says... Pinball Nirvana ;) with an "r"

This if for us dummy's that wasn't sure what nirvana meant...

Main Entry: nir·va·na
Pronunciation: nir-'vä-n&, (")n&r-
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Sanskrit nirvAna, literally, act of extinguishing, from nis- out + vAti it blows —more at WIND
Date: 1801
1 : the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness
2 a : a place or state of oblivion to care, pain, or external reality; also : BLISS, HEAVEN b : a goal hoped for but apparently unattainable : DREAM
- nir·van·ic /-'vä-nik, -'va-/ adjective

would be hard to transform what's there. But with the original source images, it'd be a breeze.

Maybe it's a good thing I retired as an Editor with all these typos. They sure are easier to catch when you're 1, getting paid, and 2, working with someone else's material. Below is the actual gif logo. And Bob, old pal, do you really have to point out every typo of mine on every forum?

John :oops:

Attachments

• logo.gif
    logo.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 381
tiltjlp said:
Maybe it's a good thing I retired as an Editor with all these typos. They sure are easier to catch when you're 1, getting paid, and 2, working with someone else's material. Below is the actual gif logo. And Bob, old pal, do you really have to point out every typo of mine on every forum?

John :oops:

LOL, but I think this is the first time I seriously pointed out a typo to anyone :) but I thought this was a big one since you wanted someone to change the site graphic, I thought you might want to let them know the correct spelling. :)

I agree with Kinsey though, you need to wait on JPH's graphic source and then it would be a breeze for someone to replace the words. I have never worked with gif files before though, they are also the one's you don't like with the moving graphics.

I also think you made a wise decision in keeping the lady graphic leaning on the silverball.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back