About Poll: How much did your 1st pinball game cost?

sleepy

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Titanic Hospital
I saw this on the Nirvana front page and I couldn't vote on it but I would.
My first game of pinball cost 5 cents in 1958. I was 4 years old.
The tables were in a leaky corrogated tin shack in the back of a
Kiddyland Summer Carnival-style amusement park along with my first look at an arcade shooting gallery. It cost 5 cents too.
I can't remember the two tables I played that day by name or manufacturer,
but I remember they were lit up like a Christmas Tree and were designed to return your nickel if you won but
no more than your nickel. It wasn't a payout/gambling setup.
If you continued on until you hit the next winning score then you also earned a Replay.

5 cents wasn't among the choices in the poll!
Folks, you really should go Back to the Future. :wink:

Upvote 0
Something must not have shown up right for you Sleepy, because 5 cents is the first of 13 choices. Possibly only 10 choises show up when the poll is displayed on the front page. 5 cent games in 1958 probably were fairly uncommon. While I did play a few 5 cent games, they were either in 1949 or the early 1950s. You might be able to access the poll, and all the choices, from the left menu bar here.

I just finished fixing the poll John, 5 cents was there previously but it got deleted somehow, I added it back. Someone actually had voted for 5 cents previously. It's entirely possible that sleepy couldn't vote in the poll, I have it set to no close date but it was showing today as the close date. :shock:

my three games cost $100 each in 1995. they were all EM's from 1974-1975. i was able to recondition gottlieb's atlantis and william's big ben but william's magnetron had some funky wiring that i could never get sorted out. my buddy still has the PF to big ben and hopefully i'll turn it into a coffee table one day.

oh, you meant... duh.

okay, i got into pinball very late in life- somewhere around 1993 i remember getting hooked on STTNG and CFTBL for 25¢ a play.

JonPurpleHaze said:
I just finished fixing the poll John, 5 cents was there previously but it got deleted somehow, I added it back. Someone actually had voted for 5 cents previously. It's entirely possible that sleepy couldn't vote in the poll, I have it set to no close date but it was showing today as the close date. :shock:

Thanks for the assist Jon. When I saw Sleepy's post I used the left menu to look at the poll, and it still showed the 5 cent option. I would never have thought to see it was expired.

But the poll didn't include 20c which was the price in Australia for years. I'm old enough that they were 10c or 3 games for 20c when I first played them.

DS

davidsss said:
But the poll didn't include 20c which was the price in Australia for years. I'm old enough that they were 10c or 3 games for 20c when I first played them.

DS

I probably should have done a little research on world currancy before I made the poll. There are other invalid amounts there too, I'm sure. Next time I'll know better.

In France, 0,20 FF until about 1965, but I really don't know exactly how much 0,20 FF gives in $ (about 0,05 $).

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back