Any thoughts on the new XenForo smilies? (I propose a little editing)

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
I mean the following ones in particular. Seems they were added and made the defaults with the big site upgrade a few months ago: [EDIT: since I'm slowly re-arranging these, these will appear in a different order over time]

:) ;) :( >( :confused: 8) :p :D :eek: :oops: :rolleyes: oO

Not that thse aren't useful, but the new, oversized smilies displaced ones we already had which did the same job for years. I also feel that our traditional set fit in better with the rest of the site's smiley collection in terms of design and sizing.

(of course if you're new to the site the past few months, the new XF smilies would actually be the default set you're used to!)

These are examples of the 'traditional' set I'm referring to:

:smile: :wink: :( :-x :s :cool: :razz: :D :shock: :roll:

To be clear, when I say "displaced," I mean that for many years now, a site user would type something like
Code:
:) or :(
...to auto-create the smilies :smile: and :(, but currently those get auto-replaced with :) and :(.

So I'm thinking the simplest, most practical solution would be to rename the smilies in question back to their original abbreviations, and keep the new XF ones as variants for those who prefer them.

Make sense or non-sense? Any thoughts at all? This is serious business, after all!! :cuss:

Actually I had one more issue in mind, which is that lots of the most useful smilies are 'far down in the pile.' Meaning that when bringing up the popup list, one often needs to scroll far down the list to find the desired smiley.

I find that a bit of an annoyance, personally, and something of a discourager upon using smilies more often. Can't help but think I'm not alone in that.

Not sure if anyone has strong feelings either way, but as an admin here, it looks like I can manually sort the smiley list to be a little easier to use in that sense.

Worth mentioning is that there may also be smilies here that are either offensive to some or likely never to be of use. We could certainly discuss archiving those, if anyone's interested. :boobies:

@JonPurpleHaze,
Remember, this is serious business!! :cuss:

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Do you think you could add these icons to the list? I am not sure when I would use them but they might be useful to others:

UPDATED1.gif
NEW20.gif

Images were added to the smiles! :check:

I'm trying to figure out why they appear so much smaller.. :trippy:

Code:
:updated:
Code:
:new:

Last edited:
Maybe these will work. I made them larger.

NEW20d.gif
UPDATED1b.gif

Images were added to the smiles! :check:

Thanks @GeorgeH, The larger smilies were uploaded and the first images I posted were automatically resized!

Code:
Code:

Cool! Thanks for saving them. I will see where I can use them.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back