Arcade Emulation Everywhere? Chinese Handheld Makes It Possible!

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
This must be the coolest thing i came across this year.

The new chinese handheld 'Dingoo A 320' is a true multitalent; not only can it play a vast variety of different video- and audio formats, it also features a set of fully working already-built-in emulators for GBA, NES, SNES, MegaDrive/Genesis, CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo, which means besides tons of Console Games it lets you play a lot of original Arcade Titles wherever you go. StreetFighter Series, KingOfFighters Series, MetalSlug Series, you name it, all you need to do is get the ROMs and play away. Its like your own personal Arcade for your pocket which can be turned into a Cinema, Musicplayer, Radio, Textreader, etc by the press of a button.

Emulation speed seems to be pretty good as can be seen in the videos below. Of course some games run better than others but there is still the option to overclock the CPU so you can compensate when a specific game is very demanding. Future Firmware Upgrades might eventually make this unnecessary, though. The handheld can also be hooked to a TV for a bigger picture, and you can use MiniSD Cards to enhance memory capacity. It comes with 4GB on-board. Interested? More infos on wikipedia and via google search.

Dingoo @ Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo

Handheld Demonstration / StreetFighter:

<object height="340" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4TUGhvnqnM&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

MetalSlug5:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2PA9IAoUKE&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

NeoGeo Demonstration:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjEqL2Y2iuk&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Last edited:
There's only one thing I'm interested in, and that's the price.

.....around 80 to 90 bucks. Sounds like something I'd get for a birthday present (since I'm quite tight when it comes to getting cash out of my pockets) but then again, my DS can pull off quite a lot of these things, including NeoGeo emulation. Probably isn't worth getting... especially since it's the budget model of these Linux based handhelds. You're making this look bigger than it is. Take for example Pandora or the Wiz, both have more capabilities for more cash.

The McD

Erm, i think you slightly missed the point.

I know that a lot of 'brand' handhelds can do a lot of stuff too, but how many of them come with seven in-built emulators? Also, how many of them can play so many different video and audio formats natively, meaning without installing any extra codecs? How many will read you your E-Books? And how many of them can do all that in a format as small as the Dingoo? Let alone the question how many of them go for under 100.- bucks?

To my knowledge: None

And thats why i think the Dingoo is a mighty cool thing to have. Of course others may gladly stick to their Sonys and Nintendos, but i for one will get me an A 320 as soon as i can,...

Man I guess I'm old. I can survive the day without being 'jacked' into the network all the time! I still even read books for fun, with all my electronics OFF! i guess all this crap is good for our younger generation, but geez remember playing outside as a kid? we actually went outside for entire days, with no video game waiting for us when we returned home. All this mp3, texting, blogging, twittering, portable video game playing must stop before it turns our future generations into Pimply-faced, obese, virginal hermits who only live for their next 'online video game world'. Oh wait we already are, what with most foreign countries blowing us away with smarter kids, better products, we are falling into this 'virtual world is the best thing since breaded slice' falsehood. It's like burying our heads in the sand, no terrorism exists as long as I get that next thing that does it all, yeah the economy sux but how much is that d/load of timberland's newest hit? sorry for ranting but it has to end somewhere.
Now how does one GEt these roms for this device? I have yet to see any free neogeo rompacks anywhere, or Sega games, or well most of what you mentioned...

...remember playing outside as a kid?
Not really, i always used to hang out in some place where they had Vids and Pins. :birthdayboy:

Speaking of old times, in a way the Dingoo is like a childhood dream coming true, only that it exceeds even our wildest dreams by far. Back then we all used to dream of having our own Phoenix or Galaxian or Donkey Kong, and in our wilder dreams maybe of having our own arcade. But noone back then would have ever assumed that there actually comes a day when you can play hundrets and thousands of these games on one single device, let alone carry them around in your pocket. If anyone would have predicted even something like MAME, (meaning the ability to play pretty much all arcade games ever made on one computer), nobody would have taken them serious because it was just way too far out at the time. And now we not only have all the arcade games, but all of the early console games as well. So seeing it really existing now is certainly a very special thing for people like me, because it quite simply exceeds all we ever considered possible. Its like finding The Holy Grail, the ultimate thing in the universe. And how could i possibly pass on that?

Ok I can see your point. You are correct. When Pacman first came out we were awed. Home computers didn't exist back then, and we never even dreamed this could ever fit into a phone of all things! When the Atari 2600 with it's interchangeable cartridges came out and well, we started to think in terms of downsizing and possibly portability. But the Arcade games ruled back then. A home Neo geo system didnt exist yet, nor one to play Virtual Fighter (the legendary 3-d blocky guy who kicked our asses at first), so we flocked to our arcades, to play the first releases of these new devices.
So now that one can play all of them on a handheld device, would be a trip down that nostalgic road and a blast to play too!

You got it faralos.

So whos gonna buy me one? Any volunteers? :birthdayboy:

Erm, i think you slightly missed the point.

I know that a lot of 'brand' handhelds can do a lot of stuff too, but how many of them come with seven in-built emulators? Also, how many of them can play so many different video and audio formats natively, meaning without installing any extra codecs? How many will read you your E-Books? And how many of them can do all that in a format as small as the Dingoo? Let alone the question how many of them go for under 100.- bucks?

To my knowledge: None

And thats why i think the Dingoo is a mighty cool thing to have. Of course others may gladly stick to their Sonys and Nintendos, but i for one will get me an A 320 as soon as i can,...

Late reply, since Firefox crashed before I replied, but I thought it still went through.

I think you missed one of my points, but honestly, that's going to be beside the actual point now (what a ton of points we have). The point I was trying to make clear was that the A320 will be surpassed in probably less than a year in all aspects by similar Linux-based handhelds like the Pandora and the Wiz. And most definitely (probably screwed that spelling up) it isn't:
The Holy Grail, the ultimate thing in the universe

That's just blowing things out of proportion.

Side point: I now ordered one of these for 78€ out of a German online shop (I really prefer it when stuff like this doesn't have to go through customs ect.) (note just in case: customs = "Zoll") two days ago. Sent the cash yesterday, so I should have it beginning of next week (wooo, summer holidays!). I'll make sure to get some impressions up.

The McD

P.S. I now notice my reply lacks a main point, but honestly, who gives a shit?

...the A320 will be surpassed in probably less than a year in all aspects by similar Linux-based handhelds like the Pandora and the Wiz.
This remains to be seen. If they do come with the same features built-in at an equally low price and in equally small device-size, even better, as there will be more to choose from.

That's just blowing things out of proportion.
Actually its figure of speech (note just in case: Redewendung) with a touch of ravishment and euphoria mainly caused by nostalgia,...;)

I now ordered one of these for 78€ out of a German online shop...I'll make sure to get some impressions up.
Good idea. Make sure to post a couple of hi-res close-up pix as well!

EDIT: BTW, where did you buy yours?

Last edited:
Thanks.

For your sake i only hope their service is not as bad as their ability to design a website!

(I mean black text on dark-grey background? Ouchy,...)

Now how does one GEt these roms for this device? I have yet to see any free neogeo rompacks anywhere, or Sega games, or well most of what you mentioned...

they just download them and put them on laws over there are not like hear.

Well, I just got notified that it has been forwarded to the shipping department. So it should apparently be here about on Wednesday. Now where the hell did I actually put my camera again....

The McD

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: HZR has posted a new reply in the thread "Complete list of VB commands".
      Back