Auto-Repair or not? Tell me what you think,...

Should the new VPinPack have the ability to fix itself?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The new dual-pack (soon to be known as the 'VPinPack') has come along quite nicely and it wont be long now until it will be released. There is one thing i wouldnt mind hearing a few opinions on though, and that is whether or not the pack should have the ability to fix itself. Since this can be just as useful as annoying implementation will strongly depend on the feedback im getting here. Details on what auto-fix means as follows:

1.) Pack installs its files, registers them

2.) Careless user deletes all VBS files (or any file or folder originally installed by the pack)

3.) Installation will call up the installer to re-install the missing files when:

A.) The VP Editor is being started

B.) A table is being started via the auto-start feature (doubleclick .vpt or .vp9)

In other words, if/when any of the files originally installed by the VIP will be found either damaged or no longer present the user will not be able to launch any tables unless the setup could fix itself! This is certainly not bad in itself, (better safe than sorry), but it also means that a copy of the installer has to be kept on the harddrive (or a disk) at all times so that the system can access it when it needs it for the repairing procedure.

So what do you think? Useful enough or too potentially annoying?

Cheers,
Phoenixx

EDIT: Poll added so people can answer quickly without needing to post.

Last edited:
I have to go with the "annoying side" on this one. Many times these auto-fix features either work a little too good or not good at all.

Well, i cant complain about how it works because it works perfectly.

If everything is in order then you wont be bothered and if any file or folder is missing/corrupted then it will go off.

(So it least in this case its not a matter of too good or not at all, it just works as it should.)

Thanks for your feedback, i suppose thats one for no then.

Phoenixx, if a file gets updated by the user, for example, VP9 gets an update, does this mean I would have to keep the old file version of VP9 installed also or would I get an error or would your system recognize this situation?

Rather than being automatic, the user should be given the option/s
remove/repair/reinstall. Some users may need to tweak files or configs to work on their systems, and it would be annoying if the program always tried to "repair" the setup, especially if your testing alternative settings.

I think in the way it is in the first bata is good... It can start it by re-runinning the installer or uninstaller. (am i correct? :) )

Phoenixx, if a file gets updated by the user, for example, VP9 gets an update, does this mean I would have to keep the old file version of VP9 installed also or would I get an error or would your system recognize this situation?

Let me try to explain it as good as i can:

Option A

I register all files and folders for auto-repair. In that case all of them will be considered vital and therefore restored (if necessary) as soon as any of the two VP executables installed by the pack is being run.

Option B

I do not register any files for auto-repair. In that case it would work like this:

1.) You could delete/replace anything in the pack as long as you are not planning on using the table-auto-start feature via dblclicking a table file. In other words, if you launch your tables only via the editor then you can do whatever you want to the setup without it ever trying to auto-fix itself.

2.) If on the other hand you do wish to use the table-auto-start feature (or a frontend, which use this feature to launch the tables) then you could only delete stuff from the folders. You could not delete any of the executables or the VPM DLL or any of the folders themselves. (Which leaves the romupd.bat the only item that could be deleted from the parent dir without triggering the auto-repair.) The DLL and the exes could only be replaced with a newer/older version if you give the new file the exact same name that the old file had. (Since none of these items must be missing when the system does its integrity check.)

The reason for this is because the table files are registered/associated with the originally installed VP executables, and since all the other items located in the parent dir are tied into this as well (after all it is a fully integrated system) the Windows Installer will always trigger a repair if you try to auto-start a table and something is not in order in the parent dir. As far as i know this feature is exclusive to Vista and Win7 though, (apparently needs a special version of Windows Installer), so under XP and earlier it would probably never attempt to repair itself, regardless of the condition of the parent folder.

Hope this helps,...if you have any other questions feel free to ask,...

Rather than being automatic, the user should be given the option/s remove/repair/reinstall.

I can start it by re-running the installer or uninstaller. (am i correct? :) )
Yes, the option to repair manually is always there.

You can also add whatever files and folders you want to the setup.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back