bad initialization of the starter table

fastdraw

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
afm mm cv
at the very beginning of the starter loading

it starts like a game (ball ejected) except that the flippers are stopped.
I would like, that there are at the beginning NO BALLSs and flippers at the stop.

:pinball: attached my starter below

Option Explicit Randomize Dim Ball Dim Balls Dim Score Dim ScoreToAdd Dim InProgress: Inprogress=False Dim Credits: Credits=1 Dim light ball=0 balls=3 '**********KEYS DOWN********** Sub Table1_KeyDown(ByVal keycode) If InProgress = True Then If keycode = LeftFlipperKey Then LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd PlaySound "flipperup" End If End If If InProgress = True Then If keycode = RightFlipperKey Then RightFlipper.RotateToEnd PlaySound "flipperup" End If End If If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.PullBack End If If keycode = LeftTiltKey Then Nudge 90, 2 End If If keycode = RightTiltKey Then Nudge 270, 2 End If If keycode = CenterTiltKey Then Nudge 0, 2 End If If keycode = AddCreditKey Then Credits=credits + 1 CreditBox.Text=Credits If InProgress= False Then ScoreBox.Text = "Press Start" PlaySound "coin" End If If InProgress = False Then If Keycode = StartGameKey And Credits>0 Then Credits=Credits-1 CreditBox.Text=Credits NewGame InProgress=True End If End If End Sub '**********KEYS UP********** Sub Table1_KeyUp(ByVal keycode) If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Fire PlaySound "plunger" End If If InProgress = True Then If keycode = LeftFlipperKey Then LeftFlipper.RotateToStart PlaySound "flipperdown" End If If keycode = RightFlipperKey Then RightFlipper.RotateToStart PlaySound "flipperdown" End If End If End Sub '**********NEW GAME********** Sub NewGame InProgress=True DrainTimer.Interval=4000 DrainTimer.Enabled = True ScoreBox.Text="" Score=0 Ball=0 BallBox.Text=Ball ScoreBox.Text=Score TextBox2.Text = "BALL" End Sub '**********SCORE********** Sub AddScore(ScoreToAdd) Score=Score+ScoreToAdd ScoreBox.Text=Score End Sub '**********TABLE INIT********** Sub Table1_Init() TextBox2.Text = "" BallBox.Text = "" Ball=0 Balls=3 ScoreBox.Text = "Insert Coin" End Sub '**********DRAIN********** Sub Drain_Hit() Drain.DestroyBall If Ball < Balls Then ' Is ball played less than total Balls or is the Game Over DrainTimer.Interval=3000 DrainTimer.Enabled = True ' If not, then let's play another ball, but let's set the timer for a delay Else ' Sorry, but the game is now over GameOver ' Go to game over to finish up End If End Sub Sub DrainTimer_Timer() DrainTimer.Enabled = False ' When timer runs out we will do the stuff below Kicker1.CreateBall Kicker1.Kick 90,10 PlaySound "ballrel" Ball = Ball + 1 BallBox.Text=Ball End Sub '**********GAME OVER********** Sub GameOver TextBox2.Text = "" BallBox.Text = "" InProgress=False ScoreBox.Text="Game Over" End Sub

Attachments

• TEMPLATE.rar
    10 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Testing with VPX, both the blank table and the demo table flippers are working for me.

You can change their key setting from the "Preferences" menu.

There's no way you should be getting a bad initialisation from either of the starter tables, though. I would certainly delete and re-create it.

Last edited:
??
You're in luck.
this must be my vpx installation that must be messy.
when we modify the script and we restart the table, the old launch is killed, or there are residues in memory.
at each script modification must we leave vpx and restart it?
vpx 10.6 final, behaving strangely
sometimes the table works well, and sometimes it bug
that comes from the script or from vpx?
how to clean the pc of vpx, overlay of beta .... installed successively ?

could you make me a starter for vpx?

Last edited:
but without shiva engine.
a simple starter (simple and basic initialization), because my table rules are more rudimentary and basic.(simple incrementation of variable that make up the score, and sometimes some fantasies , because my tables are more based on the orbits.
I mainly use the conditions.....if then)
the 2 big problems are the multiball and the balls captured. I have problems with ball counting. the drain and ball release is causing me problems.

balls are the number of balls at the start of the game
and ball the ball numbers during the game.?
when a ball is lost, it's ball = ball-1 or balls = balls-1

Last edited:
??
You're in luck.
this must be my vpx installation that must be messy.
when we modify the script and we restart the table, the old launch is killed, or there are residues in memory.
at each script modification must we leave vpx and restart it?
vpx 10.6 final, behaving strangely
sometimes the table works well, and sometimes it bug
that comes from the script or from vpx?
how to clean the pc of vpx, overlay of beta .... installed successively ?

could you make me a starter for vpx?
No, you shouldn't have to be restarting VPX between changes, or do anything special like that. There shouldn't be any memory residue issues or leaks.

You could try going back to running 10.5 for the time being, and post your 10.6 problems at the official release site, which is VPF.

VPX 10.5 was running stably for years before this new 10.6 release. If you're still having weird problems with 10.5, then something outside of VPX is probably the issue.

You might also try deleting everything VP-related (outside of tables, ROMs and the VPX 10.5 executable), and reinstall using Toxie's all-in-one installer. Also make sure to add scripts for VPMAME and whatever else the installer doesn't include.

Last edited:
but without shiva engine.
a simple starter (simple and basic initialization), because my table rules are more rudimentary and basic.(simple incrementation of variable that make up the score, and sometimes some fantasies , because my tables are more based on the orbits.
I mainly use the conditions.....if then)
the 2 big problems are the multiball and the balls captured. I have problems with ball counting. the drain and ball release is causing me problems.

balls are the number of balls at the start of the game
and ball the ball numbers during the game.?
when a ball is lost, it's ball = ball-1 or balls = balls-1
Unfortunately, I've forgotten most of what I knew about VP-style Visual Basic. Last time I coded was over ten years ago, on VP7 or VP8.

If Shiva is still around, he might be able to help. Otherwise I would try one of the other VP sites to ask about specific coding problems.

that's what I did, I had as an answer from JP salas:

I think before you learn to run you must learn to walk and before you can walk you need to learn to stand up :)

Many people when they start making tables spend a lot of time looking how other people have done their scripts, that's what I did. The easiest way to do that is to use one of the older templates, and for me one of the best templates to start learning and making your own table is the shivaengine1 written by Shiva 17 years ago.

So I recommend you to go to Pinball Nirvana and download it: http://shiva.pinball...all/shivaEngine

Download the the version 1. Study the script, it is very well written and includes all the routines needed for a pinball table.
with that I am well advanced:trippy::trippy::whistle::)

If not how to transpose the FP starter on vpx.
I was used to it and it is very tutorial

Last edited:
Don't see any thing wrong with that code, but it's been years since I even touched vp. Could be something real stupid, like as Ike said, keys are set wrong, or your table may be tilted and forgot to turn it off (I've done that one)
Have no idea about vpx and all these plugins etc. shivaengine 1 was about as simple as you can get, but there should be other templates available as well for vpx, maybe give one of them a shot.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: MMITG is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back