Bally Flipperless Recreation FP Ballyhoo released v1.2 2020-01-28

No permission to download
Future Pinball

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Patrick & tiltjlp have released their FP version of Ballyhoo, the table that started Bally, and which was named for a popular magazine of the 1930s. Although we've linked a sound to the nails, they aren't working. Compare this version to our VP version which is also available here at PN. You can get Ballyhoo FP at IRP or use the link below:

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/index.php?name=UpDownload&req=viewsdownload&sid=35

605.jpg

Bally Hoo...
Interesting that the machined didnt have backboxes then. I thought they had tiny ones.

zerhino said:
Bally Hoo...
Interesting that the machined didnt have backboxes then. I thought they had tiny ones.

No, most early pins didn't have them, since they were purely mechanical. It wasn't until first batteries and then electric were added that backboxes were used. Patrick and I have done quite a few early Bally's, none which have backboxes.

John

John, I didn't want to discuss this in someone elses thread, but are you saying the "real" Ballyhoo TILTs or are you saying you don't know how to make FP not TILT.

I made Ballyhoo not TILT on my copy because I like nudging fast and often to get the best scores.

Yes, the real Ballyhoo tilts. And I don't care for the way FP nudges. I'm used to the way I set my tables to nudge in VP, so the nudge in FP simply doesn't feel right to me. And since this is my thread about Ballyhoo, this is as good a place as any to discuss it.

John

How about that, I would have never guessed that Ballyhoo tilted. I guess my next question would be why? Do you know the exact way it tilts? It just seems to TILT very fast in your recreation, I think it's set to TILT after 2 warnings which seems a little sensitive for a nudging is neccesary table :)

I meant I started the discussion about Tilting Ballyhoo in the Nesting Birds thread and I didn't want to continue it there. :)

I took another look at the IPDB, and from what I can tell, Ballyhoo obviously didn't tilt. I just had figured that it had. The interesting thing is that most of the early pin games that did tilt ended the game on a tilt, I guess it took them a while to figure out how to prevent scoring for just the ball in play. Most every flipperless that I know of that tilts uses some version of the ball on the pedestal.

I don't think "ball in play" tilting started until Bally started using their Totalizer system with Airway and Blue Ribbon, where the ball rolled under the playfield in channels and tripped small flaps that revealed your score near the bottom of the playfield.

John

I don't understand how that can keep score, or tilt Bob. It has no displays and in 1932, probably doesn't have a buzzer or chime unit.

Attachments

• image-9.jpg
    image-9.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 795
Strange,

one of the images you tried to attach made it to the server but didn't get attached:

ohmy.jpg

Bob, do you want that i make a FP table with your image?
It is easy to make it from the Ballyhoo script.

Patrick

Patrick, yes, you can make a table with that image. It's not my image :) I was just trying to show it to you guys :) I thought you would want to use it because the apron was a better pic and that link has even better pictures of the instructions.

Please, no TILT this time :)

@ Jon, I was hopping that there wasn't a limit to how many pics I could upload, but I tried about 4 times to upload that jpg, I even resized it to be less than 800 x 600 and it still wouldn't attach, I would just eventually get a blank screen.

Patrick, you always want to see bob? Ok, why not, he posted
a pic at the member pics thread at VPF, but I wouldn't
play that table! :lol:

Bob, I used the other image of Favorite because I liked it better than the one you posted. If I remember correctly, I did include the image you posted as an alternate playfield, although I don't think it matches up exactly.

John

tiltjlp said:
Bob, I used the other image of Favorite because I liked it better than the one you posted. John

I thought you could make an apron image from that pic to use with your Ballyhoo, it appears to be the same instructions.

bob said:
tiltjlp said:
Bob, I used the other image of Favorite because I liked it better than the one you posted. John

I thought you could make an apron image from that pic to use with your Ballyhoo, it appears to be the same instructions.

OK, now I get you. That would be something Patrick would need to do, since I suck at graphics. And you're probably right, most early commercial bagatelle were pretty much the same as far as gameplay under the graphics and scoring hole positions.

TILT paremeters

It is possible to modify the tilt parameters in all tables: in the editor, you can modifiy the number of warnings before tilt; you also can modify the interval in the tilt timer.

Patrick

Attachments

• tilt1.jpg
    tilt1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 453
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back