BAM BAM: SyncMode for Stereo3D and VR

ravarcade

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
AFM
BAM v321 with SyncMode.

In stereo3d and VR mode frame for left and right eye are drawed for 2 different physics simulation steps.
In this version you can force BAM to draw it for same physics simulation step.
Go to Addons menu, at bootom there is switch to enable it.
Here is also video create in stereo3d mode where image for left and right eye are mixed togethere. You can see, how moving ball is drawed in different place for left/right eyes. In SyncMode they are drawed in same place.

This was achived by manipulation of FP time perception. This may create some new isssues and i have no time to test in all possible scenerios. So, this is just test drive.

Attachments

• BAM.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
Thank you Rav!! You are a legend! I'm the one who reported it to you by email, I will test in about an hour!

Well... it works flawlessly!!! I'm honestly surprised no one noticed it before, but to me it's a night and day difference in playability. Pure awesomness!

Hi me again! Well it works almost flawlessly, but one thing I noticed, is that when the ball is transferred to the plunger, it will trigger a really rapid loop of sound, as if the ball was bouncing off the plunger 200 times a second. This also happens when hitting certain target, or with sounds triggered by rollovers. As if there was a thousand ball rolling at the same time. I tested on 10 different tables, with default physics settings, and this is immediately fixed by disabling the option in the menu.

agrh.... This is another FP issue. If between 2 rendered frames there is no physics simulation step, it process events from previous frame in wird loop.

Would delaying the sync by a single frame fix the issue?

Yes, but ball will look as broken as before.

Well, from your video above, the way it is right now with sync off is already just one frame delay? If yes, then I guess it is what it is. It's not that bad once you get used to it, and proven by the fact that it hasn't been reported before me...

I gave it a test try on my Oculus Quest 2 with Link.

As soon as I enable the new option, then FP freezes then crashes.

Hi Terry, you're a legend as well by the way! Thanks for all your instructions video and guides!

That's odd that you are crashing with this option. The only you changed is the dll?

Another version with SyncMode. This one is fixing only balls. No FP time tricks, just frame drawed as second will use ball positions from previous frame (drawed for first eye). Ball shadows & ball trails should work.

Attachments

• BAM.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
Allright, I tested on 10 different tables again, and everything works flawlessly (really this time)! Thank you for your work!

What are you using this with? What settings are you using? (so others can have a reference)

Allright, I tested on 10 different tables again, and everything works flawlessly (really this time)! Thank you for your work!

What are you using this with? What settings are you using? (so others can have a reference)

Well, it's an option I leave permanently on, as without it I my eyes can clearly see the ball separation and it messes up my depth perception of the ball.

I'm using a Samsung Odyssey (OG) WMR headset in 60hz mode, with Steam VR supersample at 200%, in game AA at 4X. I can probably find more settings and post them if needed.

But I'm also curious to know if maybe this is something other people don't notice in VR? Since people have been using it since 2016...

It's hard to tell with a a Sync problem, or what is a performance problem on the PC not keeping up, or what is an Oculus problem vs SteamVR, etc.

For me, I'm using an Oculus Quest 2, so there are additional layers to deal with on top of BAM and SteamVR such as Link issues, or Virtual Desktop (if using wireless, etc).

@Gimli I'd be curious how this works for you since you also have a Quest 2.

I haven't tested on my faster PC yet (i5 9600K GTX 1080)... so its hard to tell on my slower PC. On older tables (that don't use newer BAM lighting, etc) its easier to get smooth gameplay. On newer tables... especially my own mods... it's hard to tell if its just my PC not being fast enough, or if I'm seeing sync / glitches.

I playing with RTX2080Ti, i990k. HTC Vive Pro. Runs fine, only problem sincronicity on rolling sound.

Thanks a lot Terry and Ravarcade.

I have a "modest" PC, being a 4690K at 4.0GHZ and GTX1070. But I've never suffered any performance problem in Future Pinball, except for the ball 3D sync. Everything is always locked to 60fps, and this is with motion smoothing forced off for this title.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back