Battle of the Alternative Browsers

sleepy

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Titanic Hospital
Saw this today. Six alternative browsers.

http://gigaom.com/2014/08/24/six-alternative-web-browsers-you-should-know-about/

I downloaded Aviator, Midori, Citrio, and Coowon.
And my reasons for choosing these browsers to try out are:

Whitehat Aviator promises security. Not sure yet whether that means a built in Virtual Privacy Network, but it claims to block all embedded apps and ads from running without user consent. From the Chromium source code, modified by an Apple group initially for in-house security.
The default search engine is Duck Duck Go (no user tracking of searches, or so they claim).

Midori is GTK-sourced (Linux) and promises to be the fastest lightweight browser. I like fast browsers. Available for Windows and Mac.
The default search engine: Duck Duck Go.

Citrio promises dedicated download management and faster downloads, but comes bundled with the Ask Toolbar. You can refuse the toolbar.
It also searches your system and your cookies on install and creates several desktop shortcuts depending on your cookies, to YouTube, to Facebook, etc., all without asking.
The default search engine: Ask.

Coowon is a Chrome-sourced browser dedicated to improving the online gaming experience. It offers built-in control pad support and a in-game Timer speed control (a cheat; not honest if used in competition).
The default search engine: Google.

Ahem

Shameless plug:
Opera GX. The world's first gaming web browser, designed for gamers. (It's also got a Mobile app.)

It's not just a web browser, though; it's a culture. Branched from Opera Software, Opera GX is far more advanced and in touch with the gaming community. It only makes sense; because gamers rely upon internet more than the average hobbyist, a powerful web browser that caters to their specific needs and smooths out their workflow is an untouched field with an almost guaranteed audience.
By advertising to gamers in places where they roam. For example: MediaFire is a popular file-sharing platform among many forums specializing in game modifications, so Opera GX ads appear there. Popular YouTubers known for gaming have done sponsored ads for Opera GX, or appeared on its Twitch stream– that's right, this web browser has its own Twitch channel! But it doesn't stop there…
They even built a community vacation home for gamers. There's a full rig in every room– even the bathrooms. They plan to build at least four of these, and have already opened one.

Technical specs for Opera:
Chromium-based (fast and powerful)
Built-in proxy (they call it 'VPN' for short, but it just adds one layer of disguise; there's no data encryption)
My Flow – Transition from desktop to mobile in one or two clicks, or vice versa in one or two taps.
Built-in ad-blocker – blocks banner ads and screen-cluttering frames
Workspaces – group your tabs and decrease the number of separate windows; can be renamed and have custom categorical icons to boot!
Pin-Boards – honestly I don't know what these are but apparently they're a primary feature of all Opera web browsers
Has builds for Windows, macOS, and LINUX!

Technical specs for Opera GX:
Unfortunately no Linux version
GX Control – various process limiters; GPU, CPU (Windows-only, blame Apple's hardware), RAM, and Network demands can all be limited to a user-specified threshold
GX Cleaner – cleaning caches and cookies has never been easier, add-ons and plugins notwithstanding
Discord Sidebar integration – If you're not a fan of the desktop app, but don't want your social media occupying an entire page because you're a multitasker, then Opera GX has a solution
Twitch Sidebar integration – minimalist Twitch notification monitor
Browser Profiles – (Windows-only; apparently has too many bugs on Mac, so they removed it) it's like Workspaces, but for entire groups of windows instead of just tabs and pins
Pop-out Player – if you leave a tab or window while an embedded video is playing, it will pop out into a miniature player window (subtitles not withstood) that floats on top of your screen, if you enable it
Custom UI coloration – just like everything else, you shouldn't need to install a plugin or add-on just to change the look of your workspace; if it's colored red or grey by default, then Opera GX lets you change it to almost any other color (with limiters to keep the UI distinguishable; they don't want users complaining about how they can't see any buttons in the sidebar or menu bar because they carelessly made them invisible by having everything be the same exact color)
Operius "No Internet" game – a game that got such high marks from the community of the browser's users that it became the official no-internet game for the browser, replacing Dino Dash; it's got some Polybius vibes… and it has multiplayer support, controller support, and various game modes

I could go on, but here's the part where it appeals to this community in particular: the bells and whistles…
Imagine your mouse cursor is a pinball. Everything you touch makes a noise. Different actions yield different sounds. And you're not stuck with just one set of sounds, either! Browser Music and Browser SFX provide an immersive browsing experience unlike any other (without complex plugins).

Remember when Bing had rewards? Maybe you showed some interest but quickly realized it was ultimately just trying to get you to use an inferior search engine in an outdated browser? Opera GX does something similar, but they do it right: GXgames.com is like if every good Flash game hub before the end of 2019 got bundled into a totally ad-free, (mostly-)cost-free, unlimited arcade site and received support from GameMaker Studio. That's mostly true, except the games run in Unity and are mostly original. The part about support from GameMaker Studio wasn't exaggeration; that actually happened.

They recently branched out into Gaming Peripherals. Enter: Anger Controllers. While Opera GX doesn't manufacture these controllers, its logo appears on them and it markets them. If you throw these against a solid surface, they won't get ruined. These are still in the marketing phase; we still have yet to know how well they hold up against determined, rage-driven, destructive brats.

And, uh, yeah, that's about it.
I actually came here because of an art contest on Opera GX's official Discord server (which offers a multilingual live tech support team on business days, btw). Tasked to create something Opera GX themed, it crossed my mind to compile the above lore into a pinball table. Like, what desktop gamer doesn't remember Space Cadet Pinball? If I was going to build my own, I would need a community that specializes in the field.
I couldn't have worse timing– or perhaps PinSimDb had the bad timing because it was scheduled to close at the end of July, but it's already closed even though it's still June…
If you've read this far you're an absolute champion and deserve a medal commemorating your commitment. Cheers!
Anyway, that's my story. I'm here because I want to build a virtual Pinball table. As an exclusively-macOS user (Mojave's the GoAT, I ain't talking about 10.15 onward), it seems the most viable option is the Unity route, but this forum only offers three resources on that option and the actual asset itself is proprietary.

Please offer whatever advice, suggestions, tips, or tools you have at your disposal. I'm just thrilled to see that this place still exists. I'll try to stick around until my vision is realized, unless it's a hopeless endeavor for a Mac user like me. (I'm gonna get a Windows computer soon, so no need to convince me!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back