Bally Solved Black Jack (Bally, 1978) no solenoid action

sprig100

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
old chicago(all i've got)
Just got a beat up Black Jack. I changed the busted mpu to an ultimate..ready to og right? Not. Lights ok, switches ok, only flippers and coin lockout working. Probably heard this before right? Voltages on SDB ok and can activate solenoids by jumping to ground from q's. Help...
This is my first ss machine.
P.s. under playfield fuse is ok.

Solution
swap the ball in play/credit display with one of the player displays and see if the problem moves. outhole and spinner switches connect to MPU J2 pin1 , check connection.
Does that machine have a safety inter lock switch at coin door?

don't think so. coin lockout, credit(start), and tilt as far as i can tell. plus the coin switches

Also, score counter Works when you hit a pop bumper or target switch, or whatever. Just the solenoids don't fire. I'm trying to not have to buy a new SDB. Not so easy (fast) to get parts here in Bergen, Norway though.

it sounds like the problem is in the momentary solenoid data lines that go from the MPU to SDB. check the female connector pins on J4 of MPU for corrosion from orig. MPU. pins 1-4 and 10 are the data wires that go to J4 pins 3-7 on the SDB. check both J4 connectors on SDB. check and re-flow any solder cracks on all the SDB connectors. if that doesnt solve it changing of U2 on SDB might be next.

ok
All Connections and pins seem fine. someone has replaced some q,s(which i hadn't noticed before) but otherwise the Board looks good. Is there a way to test if there is a signal coming from mpu? all i have is a dmm.
thanks again

i didnt ask before does all or some of the coils fire in self test solenoid test?

Only coin lockout and flippers. I just pulled the j4 out of the mpu wiggled the wires put it back in and turned it on. What joy!!! Played a tune, everything Works except the ball kick out. probably an easy fix. Thanks for Your help. I'll keep you posted.

ball kicker Works in test mode and when you start the game. When you loose a ball nothing happens. If i hold switch closed during test mode it recognizes the closed switch. No ball in play on the display, only credits. Any ideas?

latest update...more trouble...
outhole kicker still not working but tests ok
spinner not registering..no lights and no score
still no ball in play but i'm having trouble With that display(last digit not working)

swap the ball in play/credit display with one of the player displays and see if the problem moves. outhole and spinner switches connect to MPU J2 pin1 , check connection.

Solution
can't find any trouble With Connectors. seems strange that outhole Works on startup but not during gameplay. what keeps track of ball in play? outhole switch? both switches (outhole, spinner) test ok and show up if i manually Close them during test.
The display took its problem With but i can deal With that later. I'm trying to get the game working for a party on saturday. fingers crossed.

are all the MPU dip switch settings correct and are there any board jumpers involved ? it sounds like the problem is in the MPU programming. is the ultimate MPU new from alltek , it so call alltek tech support with your issues. if all coils fire correctly in self test the data lines should be good , and all the switches work correctly in self test but not in game play and outhole doesnt work after first ball it sounds like an MPU issue.

OK. Final verdict. Spoke to Alltek and he suggested a memory Clear. also shouls check what switch numbers came up on manual Close of the two switches. 2 numbers that aren't on the list came. I did some investigating on the J2 and found that J2-1 (supposed to be white w/red)was Connected to J2-3. put it where it should og and everything Works great..
Thanks for Your help pinballdaveh you led me to the final fix. If I could only get some 5064's fast could have all lights working. otherwise Plays great!

congrats on getting your machine working. the 2n5064 lamp driver scr's are availible from marco, but i dont know if they ship to europe. i didnt find a listing on them from radio shack.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back