Buddy Bowling (EA Nagey, 1930's)

VP8 Flipperless Recreation Buddy Bowling updated v3.0 2020-01-28

No permission to download

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Buddy Bowling has be updated to version 2.0, and there are lots of improvements. I've shortened the pins, which I think look better. I've also moved a few of those pins, and have also rescripted the adjustable spped launch. Now, with the right launch speed and just the right kind of nudge at just the right time, a perfect score of 300 is possible. In testing Buddy, I came close with a 275, and my last game was 203. While lousy scores are still possible if you don't nudge, higher scores are much easier to obtain with just a bit of practice. Lace up your bowling shoes and grab the improved Buddy Bowling here:

Attachments

• Buddy Bowling.jpg
    Buddy Bowling.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
hey - that looks pretty cool. Love the new backdrop.

destruk said:
hey - that looks pretty cool. Love the new backdrop.

Thanks Brian, think you can beat my high score of 275?

John

I don't think your scoring is correct unless the best hole counts as an instant 20 points or something. Max score here is 429.
Now the playfield is a bit blurry on the points/bowling count for each kicker, but if you get a strike on the first ball it's supposed to hold off on placing the score until the end of the next frame. Looks like you got the spare scoring correct. The 10th frame isn't handled correctly either. My score, according to whatever method it's using is 98, without adding the last ball of frame 10.

destruk said:
I don't think your scoring is correct unless the best hole counts as an instant 20 points or something. Max score here is 429.
Now the playfield is a bit blurry on the points/bowling count for each kicker, but if you get a strike on the first ball it's supposed to hold off on placing the score until the end of the next frame. Looks like you got the spare scoring correct. The 10th frame isn't handled correctly either. My score, according to whatever method it's using is 98, without adding the last ball of frame 10.

You're right, the scoring isn't correct, and I mentioned that when I originally released the table. I've never scored above 275, and of course 300 is a perfect score, so your 429 is just a bit out of line. If you, or anyone else, can get Buddy Bowling to score correctly, please do, and then send the table to me and I'll do an update release and add you to the list of authors. I hope someone can fix the scoring, since this is a special table to me.

John

If you have a clearer picture of the playfield, or would simply tell me what hole should have which score, it'll be on my list along with rschudel's bowling game thingie. :)

destruk said:
If you have a clearer picture of the playfield, or would simply tell me what hole should have which score, it'll be on my list along with rschudel's bowling game thingie. :)

Great, give me a day or two to get the scoring values from the script. Would you want me to send you the table. or would the script be enough?

John

I have the current table, so I can go through the script, if the scores are correct there.

destruk said:
I have the current table, so I can go through the script, if the scores are correct there.

Yes they are, if you can decipher the code, not that you should have any problem, except three different folks worked on the script. It'll be great to have the scoring work correctly. You're aces in my book.

John

I should have time to look at this tonight, and I've cleared my schedule for the weekend to work on that other bowling game. :) Sorry for the delay.

destruk said:
I should have time to look at this tonight, and I've cleared my schedule for the weekend to work on that other bowling game. :) Sorry for the delay.

No problem at all Brian. It sat on my HD 3 years while we tried to get it scoring correctly, so a little while longer won't matter. I really appreciate you helping to make one of my favorite bagatelle rock.

John

Buddy Bowling is being updated to version 3, and thanks to Destruk, it now scores correctly, at long last. Not only did he add more strikes and spares, but he even tossed in a few misses and near misses, just to make sure nudging was a requirement. While you can adjust the launch speed so that the ball zeros in on a strike, the pins will react with the ball just enough to prevent automatic scores. As you’ll see once you start playing, nudging is an important part of the game if you want to roll yourself to the highest scores you can muster.

Although Destruk admits he worked on fixing Buddy for the coding challenge rather than a real fondness for the game, he’s aces in my book. Buddy Bowling has always been one of my favorite tables, and having the scoring work makes it a whole lot better, and a load of fun. So once again, thanks for all your help Brian. Now if only some of your ability rubbed off on me, that would be great. You can grab the new and improved Buddy Bowling by following this link; it's near the bottom of the page.

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/index.php?name=UpDownload&req=viewsdownload&sid=7

John

573.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back