Bumper Pool and Billiards (Original)

Flipperless Original Table BAM FP Bumper Pool and Billiards (Original) v2.0 BAM

No permission to download
Future Pinball
Looking good, and very cool to see the POV zipping around the PF like that! I probably could have had my version rotate by 45° increments at least, but I was getting lost in new features in the end.

Btw, I seem to recall that standard pool tables come in three different sizes, so that's something you might want to decide upon at some point, choosing which one to go with. Or I suppose you could potentially offer a choice of sizes at some point.

Last edited:
Looking good, and very cool to see the POV zipping around the PF like that! I probably could have had my version rotate by 45° increments at least, but I was getting lost in new features in the end.

Btw, I seem to recall that standard pool tables come in three different sizes, so that's something you might want to decide upon at some point, choosing which one to go with. Or I suppose you could potentially offer a choice of sizes at some point.
ya
There are some limitations or at least road blocks with choosing different table sizes.
The Current Table seems ok
I overlay hidden bumper rails for collisions and it was a fiddly process for one thing.

Thanks for the reminder Gimli. Unfortunately, there will be no gaming for a little bit longer than I anticipated. I'll test it when I'm near my PC again.

@AnonTet
@wild
@GeorgeH
@Ike Savage
@polygame
@TerryRed
@ravarcade

Here is an update in the AI.
It should keep track of turns a little better now:

Rules Currently are 8-ball a as follows:
1. First ball sunk either spots or stripes determines which the Player must go with to win the game
2. Except for 8 ball. If you sink 8-ball before you have sunk all your balls then you lose.
3. If you sink white ball, opposite suit or miss then you lose turn
4. If you sink another ball in your assigned suit (spots or stripes) then your turn continues
5. If you sink all of your assigned suit (spots or stripes) and then the 8 - ball you win.

Use the left and right arrows to aim,
use "M" key to toggle on/off aiming arrow,
use up arrow to shoot ( hold and release timing will change strength of shot),
use down arrow to Flip Cue for quicker aiming
use Special1 or Special2 keys to rotate camera view for better aiming

To Do:
1. If you sewer the white ball then the next player will get a choice within the "D" of where to start
2. Improved sounds
3. Improved physics
4. rule variations ( Return last ball sunk to table if not called for or opposing suit ball hit first ) etc...
5. Alternate games ie "Pea Pool"

6. VR games room like a pub or pool hall
7. Animated 3d models perhaps etc....
8. Automatic BAM camera adjust to direct line of shot for better aiming
9.Masse shots to add spin to cue ball

Attachments

• BilliardsAug11.fpt
    34.7 MB · Views: 119
Finally can pinball again so this was the 1st on the list from things to do.

No problems whatsoever in this version.

@ravarcade
@Ike Savage
@AnonTet
@wild
@GeorgeH
@polygame
@TerryRed
@JonPurpleHaze

I am trying to step back a bit from my Pinball Addiction....but I can't resist the need to post an update of the Billiards Mod.

Thanks entirely to Ravarcade for enable direct view of each shot for precise aiming.

Game keys are as follows:
1. Left and Right Arrow Keys for aiming
2. "M" on keyboard to toggle aiming arrow on /off
3. Down Arrow for flipper cue for faster aiming
4. Up arrow hold and release to shoot. Change hold time as need for strength of shot
5. Special 1 /Special 2 key to rotate overhead camera view

To do...
1. Masse Shots to add spin to cue ball
2. Tweak physics
3. Fine tune construction a little
4. Add Games Room / Animated Models
5. Add Game Variations ( Pea Pool, Snooker etc...etc...)

Attachments

• BilliardsAug11 -rav.fpt
    34.7 MB · Views: 125
Great work Gimli!

I love seeing FP used in ways others never thought about. Very cool!

It works really well. I never though I'd say this but I'm glad you can't quite cure your addiction :)

I see it's crashing for me now, I would imagine due to my low levels of RAM, just like a bunch of other FP tables.

So... nice to see this project's still in the works, and I'll have to get back to you on this one. Thanks for tagging me in the update!

I see it's crashing for me now, I would imagine due to my low levels of RAM, just like a bunch of other FP tables.

So... nice to see this project's still in the works, and I'll have to get back to you on this one. Thanks for tagging me in the update!
Thanks for trying it...you likely have an old version of bam ?

Thanks for trying it...you likely have an old version of bam ?
Whoops!! I haven't updated it for at least some months, but now I see there were a lot of updates this year.

Okay, will try it again in a day or two...

@Gimli
unfortunately I can't see what you did, the table(model) I see it black, (and for 2times fp crashes) it looks like the same problem that I HAVE, I repeat I HAVE, so I assume that the table is in tga...right?
but that doesn't stop me from saying that you are doing a superb job, if I think you had to insert a "custom ball" for each ball, I get the chills.

I already have the 308, but i still have this problem, even if i load a model in ModelImporter either in tga or ms3d (milkshape) or in obj, i don't see anything loaded, except in the editor i see that there is something, but in the window of ModelImporter, nothing.I think it is a problem with my video card, or some FP setting, i don't know.

EDIT: these words of mine, they mean
I HAVE, I repeat I HAVE,
it is definitely my problem and not with Gimli's table, I want to specify it

Last edited:
Whew... hunting around the different components in my BAM directory, it was unexpectedly hard for me to tell what my version was. Didn't see a change log or anything...

Anyway, I went ahead and updated to BAM 1.5 - 308, and yay! Table now works on my guinea pig-powered computer! :D

Now... is there a listing somewhere for keystroke controls for when the table takes over the view? I was struggling a bit with that.

Also, the current table looks unusually kiddie-sized right now. Not just in overall size, but in length, too. But as eight-foot tables (8' x 4') are the common standard, along with 2.5" diameter balls, I would think those might be good starting points. (I double-checked those figures right now with my Google-Fu, so they should definitely be re-checked)

Anyway, this is really cool, and I look forward to playing around with it more as I figure it out. Thanks, Gimli! :)

@Ike Savage you can always right click BAM.dll and see it's version in "details" tab.

Regarding the size the only thing I know for sure it that FP has a size limit. It was made for pinball after all :)

Not sure what you mean about keystrokes question. You move, camera follows. I think that's the intended action and it works here, at least.

@Ike Savage you can always right click BAM.dll and see it's version in "details" tab.

I never tried that before but it works Also if you open the BAM menu by pressing "Q", you can see the BAM version in the bottom right corner.

I think @Ike Savage is asking about the camera views. Most of us use F2 for desktop use but there is F1, F3, F4. F5. You press F8 multiple times for several views. If all else fails, you can change the view by pressing F11 for a movable camera using your mouse and WASD keys.

Regarding the size the only thing I know for sure it that FP has a size limit. It was made for pinball after all :)

Not sure what you mean about keystrokes question. You move, camera follows. I think that's the intended action and it works here, at least.
Thanks for that, @AnonTet!

re: the FP size limit,
No, it should make utterly no difference in this case. Correct sizings in ball diameter and table dimensions is a proportion issue in this case.

Moving on, have you tried starting the recent table and choosing the "right flipper" option? In that case, the camera seems to lock in on a 'behind cue' shot, and getting it to move expediently is currently an issue for me.

I think @Ike Savage is asking about the camera views. Most of us use F2 for desktop use but there is F1, F3, F4. F5. You press F8 multiple times for several views. If all else fails, you can change the view by pressing F11 for a movable camera using your mouse and WASD keys.
When the table starts up, it specifically asks if you want to 'keep the known system' or go with a new set of commands. My issue is in trying to understand the latter.

Thanks for that, @AnonTet!

re: the FP size limit,
No, it should make utterly no difference in this case. Correct sizings in ball diameter and table dimensions is a proportion issue in this case.

Moving on, have you tried starting the recent table and choosing the "right flipper" option? In that case, the camera seems to lock in on a 'behind cue' shot, and getting it to move expediently is currently an issue for me.

When the table starts up, it specifically asks if you want to 'keep the known system' or go with a new set of commands. My issue is in trying to understand the latter.
Always choose "allow" that is a mandatory message that rav wants for all BAM tables with custom camera angles.

Ike make sure you assign a key to special 1 or special 2 keys under fp key settings. Use that assigned key to rotate the camera view.

The keys for gameplay I listed above.
Oh and "b" on keyboard will change players if AI misses something....

View attachment Future Pinball 2020-09-19 07-54-40-74.mp4
@ravarcade
@AnonTet
@wild
@polygame
@GeorgeH
@Ike Savage
@JonPurpleHaze
@TerryRed
Ok here is an updated WIP. Still lots to do , but you can hopefully see where this is heading.

1. I added a preliminary games Room Environement.
2 . I added one 3d model character "The Boss". I will likely add several to choose from that will act as a cheer leader for each player.
3. I cleaned up the code quite a bit
4.Added splash screen and Credits to Rav ( For BAM and all the important coding for this table ). Wild for helping with Cue animation.

5."Masse Shot Simulation". I have reviewed the concept of adding spin to the cue ball for masse shots and there is no easy way. But I have come up with an idea for a very rough simulation. Rav created the magnet "impulse" code that applies forces to the cue ball exclusively. So this magnet can be also used to secondarily effect the cue ball after you strike it and it can push /pull the ball at any angle and at any force. So I will set up a delayed timer that will will impose these things as you wish. If you see the video below you will see "Masse camera view" where you place a dot on the cue ball where you wish to create spin.
I haven't implemented the code or physics yet.....

Now... is there a listing somewhere for keystroke controls for when the table takes over the view? I was struggling a bit with that.
The keystroke controls are as follows:
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Masse View Off (Default)
1. Up arrow toggles between close up view and zoomed out view
2. Down key simply flips the cue
3. Left and Right key are for aiming
4. "M" turns the aiming arrow on/off
5. Plunger key is for shooting (There currently is a glitch with weak shots....so pull the cue back a bit more to avoid that for now)
6. Overhead camera views press special 1 or special 2 key to rotate overhead camera views ( Special keys are configured under FP key settings)
7. "B" key on keyboard. Will switch players in case AI makes a mistake or foul occurs and you wish to switch whose turn it is...
8. Nudge keys can be used if the balls are cleared at end of game by ball vacuum magnet to get them rolling a bit.

Masse View On (WIP)

8 Toggle Masse View on/off by first zooming in with the "Up" key then pressing less than key on keyboard "<"
You will see a dot now on the cue ball. Use the arrow keys (up,down, left, right) to select dot location.
Press "<" when finished and then take shot as per usual.
This is how spin will be applied to cue ball ( again I haven't coded this yet....see above)
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Also, the current table looks unusually kiddie-sized right now. Not just in overall size, but in length, too. But as eight-foot tables (8' x 4') are the common standard, along with 2.5" diameter balls, I would think those might be good starting points. (I double-checked those figures right now with my Google-Fu, so they should definitely be re-checked)

In theory you can make the table any size you want if you remove the FP default playfield and all its components and you full created miniplayfield
instead.
However, likely due to my incompetence :) the ball tracking physics routines seemed glitchy when pool balls were created from within a miniplayfield that you have moved from elsewhere.

Also I wasn't able to find a better table model than this that was either free or cheap....I think I ended up paying 15 bucks for this one....

So I was constrained by the quality of the model....it can be scaled
and by the playfield size settings in Future pinball table editor.

The table does looked miniature especially in the current games room.... pretend you are a dwarf :)

To Do:
1. Menu system for choosing options (Game type, Character selection, Music, Room Environment etc..)
2.Cue ball spin "Masse Simulation"
3. Fix some glitches. Known bug include improper alignment of cue and Masse view due to Table Slope artifact. Weak shot bug where ball behaves strange on some weak shot.
4.Further tweaking of general physics etc...
5. Add music ( I checked out "The Color of Money" sound track and found it boring..... :)

Feedback welcome
Enjoy !

Attachments

• BilliardsSept19.fpt
    73.8 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
This is going in a vey cool direction.
amazing work you 3.

I had a situation here that you're probably aware by now too, but since I don't see it mentioned i'll leave it here just in case. Please see attach of the green ball in the air and off the table after I hit a cluster of balls apparently with to much strength.

May I suggest you add the keys/instructions to the script? This way you haven't to write it here every time and it'll be all in one place.

Attachments

• BilliardsSept19.png
    BilliardsSept19.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
This is going in a vey cool direction.
amazing work you 3.

I had a situation here that you're probably aware by now too, but since I don't see it mentioned i'll leave it here just in case. Please see attach of the green ball in the air and off the table after I hit a cluster of balls apparently with to much strength.

May I suggest you add the keys/instructions to the script? This way you haven't to write it here every time and it'll be all in one place.
Thanks for the feedback !
The green ball is the one you sunk.
Currently as you sink balls they get placed in a row where you see the geen ball. This isnt needed but is something Rav coded as a visual aid to see what balls are gone

Good idea. But I was caught off guard. It was so close to the hole so I didn't even noticed as it wasn't quite obvious to me.

Should I had continue instead of giving feedback and leave because I was in a hurry.
But I had to try it because this is great stuff!

That old hustler guy is pretty hilarious. I wouldn't mind seeing a babe, too (or some beefcake for those who want that option?). Also, maybe if the spectator could stand back a little it would be less distracting in terms of the shot-making. Perhaps a small audience of them ringing the table would be cool, too!

In terms of the music, maybe some Dave Brubeck would be nice, i.e. low-key jazz, but not smooth (i.e. muzak) jazz. And/or something from Newman's The Hustler might make sense.

I was thinking that when I finished up my pool game, I'd have it open by having the balls dance around, moving in circles, and maybe automatically playing some trick shots. I.e., an attract mode. The song I'd selected for that opener (feel free to steal) was this: (couldn't find the Enoch Light version, but this is very similar)

That old hustler guy is pretty hilarious. I wouldn't mind seeing a babe, too (or some beefcake for those who want that option?). Also, maybe if the spectator could stand back a little it would be less distracting in terms of the shot-making. Perhaps a small audience of them ringing the table would be cool, too!

In terms of the music, maybe some Dave Brubeck would be nice, i.e. low-key jazz, but not smooth (i.e. muzak) jazz. And/or something from Newman's The Hustler might make sense.

I was thinking that when I finished up my pool game, I'd have it open by having the balls dance around, moving in circles, and maybe automatically playing some trick shots. I.e., an attract mode. The song I'd selected for that opener (feel free to steal) was this: (couldn't find the Enoch Light version, but this is very similar)

Thanks Ike !
Great suggestions , I will see what I can do.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Wolfkell is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back