Help Can an FP-BAM table be set up with a desktop background?

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
Considering that FP is a fork of VP, I expected to see some options in the backdrop / translite section, but nothing doing.

So let's say I've turned off rendering for the game room, leaving us with a black background. Is there a way to set up a desktop background as we can with VP?

Yeah, I'm thinking this kinda goes against 'FP's instincts,' because the blackened / unrendered game room still exists in 3D, and I'm talking about imposing a 2d image here. Or maybe even... an animated 2D image? :-D

Solution
Yes. You can add the attached FP model to the model manager in the FP editor (*.fpm file) and the texture to the texture manager (*.jpg file). You will want to replace the yellow part of the *.jpg with an image from the internet or you can find the texture for an existing table to use. Then select "Ornament" on the options at the bottom of the FP editor. Click on the playfield somewhere in the center. Click on the ornament that you added and in the right pane, change the model to the one you added and the texture to the one you added. It produces a very large model that you can drag and drop into position. You will want to zoom out as much as possible to position it.

This produces a simple room with a floor and wall in the...
Yes. You can add the attached FP model to the model manager in the FP editor (*.fpm file) and the texture to the texture manager (*.jpg file). You will want to replace the yellow part of the *.jpg with an image from the internet or you can find the texture for an existing table to use. Then select "Ornament" on the options at the bottom of the FP editor. Click on the playfield somewhere in the center. Click on the ornament that you added and in the right pane, change the model to the one you added and the texture to the one you added. It produces a very large model that you can drag and drop into position. You will want to zoom out as much as possible to position it.

This produces a simple room with a floor and wall in the back. The yellow part of the texture is the part that displays on the wall in the back Some tables have more elaborate game rooms like "Creatures From the Black Lagoon" and "Futurama" but you probably won't want to create something like those.

Attachments

• Game Room.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Solution
Fantastic. Thanks a million, George! :D

So as I understand it-- the model creates a replacement floor and backwall. Any image mapped on to it gets folded accordingly.

So it's not a flat background that completely fills everything behind the table uniformly, I take it. This seems to suggest that most images will need to be strictly assigned to one of the two surfaces (usually the backwall).

Well, I think I lucked the heck out with this one, because the image I had in mind looks just fine even though it's being folded. (see attachments)

One thing I note is that the enormous ornament has to be positioned high-enough in the editor such that it doesn't intrude on the table. Another thing it seems is that table flashes also reflect on to the model.

I really did luck out, because it all works out with this one. Guess I'll maybe tweak some physics in the DF version and upload an update soon.

Attachments

• Commander Cody v1.2 + DF.jpg
    Commander Cody v1.2 + DF.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Commander Cody v1.2 + DF2.jpg
    Commander Cody v1.2 + DF2.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 80

This produces a simple room with a floor and wall in the back. The yellow part of the texture is the part that displays on the wall in the back Some tables have more elaborate game rooms like "Creatures From the Black Lagoon" and "Futurama" but you probably won't want to create something like those.
Cool, I was wondering how you did this for attack from mars...
any chances of getting a cool looking backdrop on Elvira PM, (nitros mod) ?
i cant find anything decent for the JPG... and just messed with the editor for 10 min..

nah, was looking for something different

Cool, I was wondering how you did this for attack from mars...
any chances of getting a cool looking backdrop on Elvira PM, (nitros mod) ?
i cant find anything decent for the JPG... and just messed with the editor for 10 min..
I would probably use this one:

There are others here:

Cool. So when can you add that.. lol
Cant pay you the king's ransom..

Did I mention the backdrop in AFM
Is awesome.

so I tinkered a bit more, and decided for a arcade texture pack for an altered beast cabinet.. next is galaga and pacman or maybe black tiger ?
may take a while for google to convert my vid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back