Bally Solved Creature From The Black Lagoon (Bally, 1992) dot matrix is in French. Why?

bmf2001

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
I have the Creature From The Black Lagoon machine. I turned it on the other day and the dot matrix display is now in French along with the test modes (I can not read French). The audio is in English. Can anyone instruct me how to change the display back to English? Thank you!

Solution
OK, assuming you have changed the batteries and the holder is still in good order

Turn on the machine and open your coin door
4 buttons inside
the right one is 'enter'
press it until the DMD reads (Main Menu)
the button, center right '+'
press until it reads (A. Adjustments) (R. REGLAGES)
'Enter'
'A1. Standard Adjustments' ( R1. REGL. STANDARD)
'Enter'
press '+' until you get to 'A.1 21' 'R1. 21that is the language selector
'Enter'
'+' until it reads (English)'
'Enter'

Done
(THis is how it works on a Twilight Zone, CFTBL should be the same)
I have the Creature From The Black Lagoon machine. I turned it on the other day and the dot matrix display is now in French along with the test modes (I can not read French). The audio is in English. Can anyone instruct me how to change the display back to English? Thank you!
are the dips set to USA?
Does it have the us roms?

Hey Joe,

I couldn't tell you the answer to your questions. I guess the kids could have switched the dips but not likely. I don't even know where they are or how they should be for USA. I assume it does have the US roms because the Dot Matrix was in English before. Also, when I turned it on and the French came up it was at full volume too and I've always had the volume set to around 9. To me it seems like something got reset but that's just a guess.

Last edited:
Hey Joe,

I couldn't tell you the answer to your questions. I guess the kids could have switched the dips but I don't even know where they are or how they should be for USA. I assume it does have the US roms because the Dot Matrix was in English before. Also, when I turned it on and the French came up it was at full volume too and I've always had the volume set to around 9. To me it seems like something got reset but that's just a guess.
changing the dips can trigger a reset.

I don't believe the dips have been changed because I don't even know where the dips are and the kids could not have opened the machine up because they don't know where the key is.
I have the Operations Manual, the Operator's Handbook, the WPC Schematic Manual, and the Electronic Coin Door Service Pamphlet but nothing out right says to change the language setting do this....

First off
Change the batteries on the CPU
Most likely your machine is a re-import and the batteries are flat

OK, assuming you have changed the batteries and the holder is still in good order

Turn on the machine and open your coin door
4 buttons inside
the right one is 'enter'
press it until the DMD reads (Main Menu)
the button, center right '+'
press until it reads (A. Adjustments) (R. REGLAGES)
'Enter'
'A1. Standard Adjustments' ( R1. REGL. STANDARD)
'Enter'
press '+' until you get to 'A.1 21' 'R1. 21that is the language selector
'Enter'
'+' until it reads (English)'
'Enter'

Done
(THis is how it works on a Twilight Zone, CFTBL should be the same)

Solution
Thank you ManFromPost, that did the trick. And I have printed out your instructions just in case it ever happens again.

Thank you ManFromPost, that did the trick. And I have printed out your instructions just in case it ever happens again.
setting the dips to usa / having us roms will make fall back to usa if it happens again.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back