• Many thanks to Ian Longstaff for his lovely table roundups, posted on YT. And here is... TABLE ROUND UP TEN!

Also, here's our browser games collection, for those who are playful.
  • Google Translate to French or Other Languages Click on the link and a new tab will open with this page translated into French.
    Click on the "To:" pull down option to select a different language. Users will not be logged in on the new Google tab.

Bally Recreation BAM FP Cirqus Voltaire v2 (Bally 1997)

Future Pinball

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
😲 This set is more than complete : there are 558 sounds or music !

I will not be able to exploit everything. As a priority I will replace the existing sounds that were of poor quality. Then I will try to identify music and important sounds that still miss.

Thanks @GeorgeH 👍

These are the original sounds from the ROM. I suspect the sounds that are already on the table are also from the original ROM so you may not hear much difference in quality. The pinsound site only had the original sounds also so I think they are the same as the altsound site.

I have reworked audio on other tables using these same type of ROM files. If you want to replace some of the audio files, you will probably find that you have to mix several sounds together. I have mixed sound many times using Audacity. I'm not very good at identifying which sounds are combined but I can mix them for you if you send me the original sound and all the new sounds. The sound is usually mono and I normally duplicate the sound so there are 2 mono tracks and connect them like stereo so they play back on stereo speakers correctly.

This is the altsound site if you ever work on other tables:

Gimli

Pinball Master
I just tried but I only get one color (the same one) for the background image (which is a character in a dmdf font) and the text that is displayed above. This is interesting for images stored as a texture but not for images stored to dmdf fonts.
Ya you are right! I forgot all the nuances of this stuff that Rav enabled. I think few people have used it… but rav has been amazing at creating possibilities

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
Ya you are right! I forgot all the nuances of this stuff that Rav enabled. I think few people have used it… but rav has been amazing at creating possibilities

I would never have thought about adding different colors to the 464.BMP file like LtJazz did. I take it that the colors on the 464.BMP file must mix with the color that the DMD is set to in the FP editor? It seems that the color of the DMD would need to be white if the swatches on 464.BMP actually do mix.

Gimli

Pinball Master
I would never have thought about adding different colors to the 464.BMP file like LtJazz did. I take it that the colors on the 464.BMP file must mix with the color that the DMD is set to in the FP editor? It seems that the color of the DMD would need to be white if the swatches on 464.BMP actually do mix.
Ya Rav could approach LtJazz problem in 2 ways

1. Texture swap code on the 464.bmp to whatever.bmp

2.Enable distinct code for background vs foreground colors on dmdf’s (ie dmds that don't use image lists)

BUT as LtJazz suggests if he wishes the dmdfs to have the same color as the dmd matrix then he can do that with gif2dmdf program

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
2.Enable distinct code for background vs foreground colors on dmdf’s (ie dmds that don't use image lists)
I didn't think that LtJazz was using image lists on the DMDs.

It seems like Rav might be able to set an RGB code in the script for each color swatch on the 464.BMP file?

Gimli

Pinball Master
I didn't think that LtJazz was using image lists on the DMDs.

It seems like Rav might be able to set an RGB code in the script for each color swatch on the 464.BMP file?
Ya he is not using image lists .

The current BAM code allows different colors of foreground (ie scores , numbers and text ) which is the same as so-called matrix color
and at the same time different background colours provided you use image lists for the background.

The demo table I posted shows this.

But in theory a genius like Rav could enable different colors of background animated dmd fonts like LtJazz is using in this table

I don’t know how easy it is for Rav to do this and frankly it hasn’t been requested until now but it would complete the toolbox of BAM dmd coding options

LtJazz

Pinball Wizard
Exactly. This is why my settings for the "Cirqus Voltaire" colors palette is as follows :

Code:
xBAM.SetDefaultMatrixBaseColor 11, 11, 11
PlayfieldDMDExt.SetMatrixColor 255, 255, 255

Last edited:

LtJazz

Pinball Wizard
My mod of "Space Shuttle" has the switchable lighting and the latest menu system if you want to check it out.
I tried your "Space Shuttle" mod and I think the lighting is very nice.

I noticed that the table was using shadow maps to generate shadows.

I did a try on the Cirqus Voltaire v3.0 WIP but, as I expected, it doesn't work. It seems that shadow maps don't apply to other surfaces than the main playfield of the table (NB : as for the reflections). To check, I tried on a new table and I get the same result : shadows on the playfield, but no shadow on the apron (for example).

Do you know a way to apply shadow maps on any surface other than the main playfield ?

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I tried your "Space Shuttle" mod and I think the lighting is very nice.

Thanks!

Do you know a way to apply shadow maps on any surface other than the main playfield ?

No, it is limited to the playfield. I haven't tried changing other surfaces to a playfield though I doubt it will work. Most surfaces other than the playfield are small and shadows are not very noticeable. There is still the round fake ball shadow that appears on all surfaces.

I have a check list of all the stuff I add to tables because there is too much to try to remember:

:box: 1. Add custom physics and dynamic flippers.
:box: 2. Add emkickers to the slingshots to improve physics.
:box: 3. Add HUD Toggle Key that saves setting.
:box: 4. Add lighting mod and add Lighting Control Panel to the script.
:box: 5. Add switchable option for 3 or 5 balls per game that saves setting.
:box: 6. Add menu system with options for lighting, balls per game, HUD on/off, possibly light instruction cards and other things as needed.
:box: 7. Add new textures on the table loading screen.
:box: 8. Add message that looks at BAM version.
:box: 9. Add shadow maps.
:box: 10. Add bulbs that provide the halo that shines through the slingshots.
:box: 11. Add bump maps to the models.
:box: 12. Add DMD background color, ball/flipper shadows and ball configuration to the script.
:box: 13. Add game room floor and backwall.
:box: 14. Create overlay for the HUD.
:box: 15. Add new instruction cards.
:box: 16. Convert all textures to power of 2 to reduce table loading time.
:box: 17. Add BAM code that allows the score to exceed 2 billion points.
:box: 18. Add side rails (sometimes called side blades).
:box: 19. Add plunger pull special script.
:box: 20. Convert "execute" and "eval" commands in script to long form to prevent stuttering from antivirus.
:box: 21. Adjust the color/brightness of backglass and playfield.
:box: 22. Add sound when the ball hits the flippers.
:box: 23. Add spinner code if needed.

I can add any of this stuff that you like.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ freebird1963:
    *** ******* ** *** **** **** ** **** ** **** *** *** **** * * ***** *** *** ***** ** ******** ***** **
  • Chat Bot Mibs:
  • (Guest) fuckedupthemath:
  • Chat Bot Mibs:
  • (Guest) test:
    (Guest) test: **