Coffee Maker and Grinder

A lot of folks use a bellows to blow air through their coffee grinders to remove coffee that sticks to the internals of the grinder. They call it retention. I wanted one for my Urbanic 070s grinder. I priced them though and all the ones I found cost at least $40. I could never bring myself to spending that much so I read about a DIY method on the internet of using an accordion style plunger. I checked into it and bought one at my local hardware store. You can see the same one at Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Products-MP100-1-Master-Plunger/dp/B0006IXLWA

The only thing is that I only paid $8.59 instead of the Amazon "sale" price of $13.66. To make the bellows, I cut the handle off just above the threaded section and soaked it some soapy water to remove the plastic smell. The opening at the top of the Urbanic is 1 3/8 inches in diameter. The cut end of the plunger fits perfectly into the top of the grinder with the plastic funnel removed off the top. Then I found a 16 oz container I had saved that had Daisy Sour Cream in it. The body of it is tapered so I cut the top of it down to about half way so it fit over the open end of the plunger to seal it off. I ended up cutting through the middle of the Daisy name.

It made the perfect bellows for a fraction of the price of the commercial ones. It is not beautiful but it works.

Last edited:
Checking the news the other day and came across this interesting article on coffee..

Plunger, espresso, filter? Which brewing method produces the strongest coffee? Which is healthier? And which has most caffeine?

Checking the news the other day and came across this interesting article on coffee..

Plunger, espresso, filter? Which brewing method produces the strongest coffee? Which is healthier? And which has most caffeine?

It's not a big surprise that espresso is the strongest coffee. I thought it was interesting that that it says, "Depending on the headline or the day, coffee might be presented as a healthy choice, or an unhealthy one". I remember years ago that coffee was purported to cause cancer. Now it seems "Coffee is very rich in antioxidants!" In other words, it is the good stuff. Good or bad, I'll keep drinking it.

Last edited:
They obviously have never tried my brothers coffee!!
He used Dark Roasted Columbian coffee, and he made it gut wrenchingly strong!!
Way to much grounds for just one pot.
Even creamer wouldn't help it go down!!
But he did get me to start drinking Columbian Traditional Roast YUBAN.
Which I still drink to this very day!!

Like George says...
I will never stop drinking coffee!!
They will have to pry my coffee cup from my dying fingers!! lol

And hopefully someday antioxidants are found in tobacco, so I can say thats why I still smoke!!

If you think coffee is tough, you should check out how difficult it is to make chocolate. This video shows a guy making it from scratch in a small batch:

Check out also an interesting channel https://t.me/s/betpokiesnz
It looks very appetizing and natural. It immediately made me want to go buy a bar of chocolate. But the video shows real handmade chocolate, and what's in the store is a question for me.

Last edited:
...And hopefully someday antioxidants are found in tobacco, so I can say thats why I still smoke!!
Whoa, I just noticed that part, and damn... that's an interesting thought. Even as I chuckled!

I'm thinking that theoretically, if someone was to grow their own chewing tobacco, by golly it might be relatively healthy to consume, lacking the adulterants added to commercial tobacco, and not being smoked. Note: aside from the addictive aspect, nicotine is generally safe to consume from what I've read.

I guess the biggest barrier is in the growing, as I understand tobacco needs rather specific climate and soil conditions. Also, it seems that the kinds of soils and fertilisers useful to the growing can be problematic on their own, containing unwanted elements (like lead) and can even be on the radioactive side.

Still, if one could successfully grow tobacco in a safe way, I'm thinking it could actually be a fairly healthy treat simply eaten as fresh leaves, not unlike munching tasty basil or mustard greens right from the plant. You'd get that calming nicotine effect, lots of dietary fiber, and antioxidants, I'm thinking.

Guess it's probably pie-in-the-sky, but a man can dream, a man can dream. In Peru, for example, it used to be common for farmers, laborers etc to chew coca leaves, and as I understand it, the coca had a mild, pleasant effect, and wasn't harmful taken that way. As an extra bonus, you'd get some nice green teeth. :D

It looks very appetizing and natural. It immediately made me want to go buy a bar of chocolate. But the video shows real handmade chocolate, and what's in the store is a question for me.
That part's so infuriating to me.

Just going to the store and trying to buy some beans, sauces, salsa or almost anything, it's typically a pain in the arse to find stuff that isn't heavily salted, sugared, or with unwanted stuff like palm oil.

Nutella for example has massive amounts of sucrose and palm oil. You'd think given its popularity, there might possibly be healthier versions with less sugar and oil, and/or alternative fillers, but I don't think I've ever seen that.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen Postum in a grocery store for ages. Not that it's particularly healthier than coffee, which is already a healthy drink, just that it's sort of an interesting alt, plus useful for some decaf drinkers.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back