Williams Repair Solved Comet (Williams, 1985) Can the Transformer be overhauled?

Philly_pa

Pinball Nudger
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Cyclone
I know this is NOT a Pin enthusiast DIY project.

It seems the 6.3 VAC leads of my Transformer, that supply power to the Play field's General Illumination lighting has issues. I am getting a 1.3 - 2.5 VAC output, and a lot of the PF lights are out.

I am sure other parts/sections of the Transformer will soon start to degrade as well.

There are several old/used Pin Transformers on Ebay but if I am going to pay $250+ for a 30 year old dirty/dusty soon-to-die transformer, I mights as well sink the money into having my current one rebuilt/over-hauled.

Suggestions or Companies anyone?

Solution
Found the problem. A General Illumination wire was holding on with only 1 or 2 strands still connected to its terminal at the fuse block. Stripped & Resoldered it, now all is well with all the PF lights. Time now to replace all the cable ties I cut off. :-)

Thanks ALL.
is there any change in voltage readings if you unsolder the 6 volt load wire from the transformer? there are companies that do transformer rewireing but i doubt if they would do any thing that small of a size. is the transformer in an em or ss pin?

Like pinballdaveh says in an earlier post a bad transformer is pretty rare. If your transformer under performs under no load(disconnected from circuit) something made it over heat and de-laminate. Then partially shorted With insulation melting in the secondary winding. suspect an overload in one of those illumination circuits that are out...C_S

P.S. Did a fuse blow? If not maybe you got ya a bad tranny. Does it smell burnt?...

Last edited:
This transformer supply's power to my Williams Comet, a SS machine.

The voltage readings were taken directly from the Transformer posts #17 & #19, while the transformer was still connected & in place.

I have thus removed and totally disconnected the transformer.

The Transformer looks good, Nothing; burned, scorched, smells burnt, loose or disconnected. All fuses check good & are working.

I will re-apply power to the transformer & take a reading of the 6.3 volt terminals without other loads this weekend.

Disconnected all external leads from transformer & applied power. 6.5 Volts!!!! A closer look at the wiring & discovered a partically broken wire connection at Transformer terminal #17. Resoldered and put transformer back in proper location. 6.5v reading now at the Power supply board, and back out via the correct connector wires & fuses. However the lower half of the Playfield is still dark. Must be another broken wire, solder joint, or connector not making contact somewhere. But the issue is definately NOT the Transformer!

Thanks PinballDaveH & Coil_Smoke, you guys are good!!!!!

in the comet manual from the pinball database shows a power wiring diagram on page 36 (last page in manual) lower right side of page is the illum. section. wiring comes out the power supply goes thru 4 fuses (prob the fuses just under the power supply) and thru a male/female jack. check these things out when looking for the rest of the problem.

Found the problem. A General Illumination wire was holding on with only 1 or 2 strands still connected to its terminal at the fuse block. Stripped & Resoldered it, now all is well with all the PF lights. Time now to replace all the cable ties I cut off. :-)

Thanks ALL.

Solution
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back