Copyright Free Music Available for Videos

Sleepy's Sister

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Don't know much about pinball machines
I thought maybe one of you internet/tech savvy folks on PN might be able to help me with a project that I'm working on. I'm putting together a highlights video from our grandson's basketball games and I'm looking for background music that I can use that doesn't require permission or royalty payments. I'm thinking something that is hip-hop, instrumental, bass heavy would be the right vibe for the kids these days. Any suggestions?

The first place I'd suggest is the Internet Archive. All the music on there is copyright-free. It's also, for the most part, pretty damn old. You can also try googling "public domain music." I poked around for a few minutes and didn't find anything great right off, so it may take some internet-brand elbow grease!

There's also the aspect of how and where you intend to share it. If it's not likely to go viral and/or intended for profit, then I would think the chances of getting even a C&D letter are probably pretty remote.

On YT for example, usually when I've uploaded a song or used background music, I keep the video unlisted and unsearchable. Only those with a direct link can view it. I've never been contacted or any of my stuff taken down (which is how YT tends to handle such conflicts).

Not that I have anything against artists getting paid fairly, but there's so much video content on the net that borrows others' music, that my sense is it generally has to reach a fairly high level of prominence before license depts begin to get involved.

I knew you both could give me some helpful information! Most of the music I've found so far has been pretty old, and my grandson would be embarrassed to have it added to his highlights. Looks like I might have to spend a little more time looking through public domain sites and that internet archive site you recommended, Bill. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nic - I'm going to be uploading the videos to some college recruiting sites. Don't know if the recruiting sites themselves might have a problem with copyrighted material.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

1) I guess the first thing that occurs is-- are there other videos on the sites in question that use copyrighted music? ("Be one with the herd" approach)

2) Another idea that sort of titillates me personally is using copyrighted music that's undergone a chord shift. Algorythms will have less of a chance to catch it, for one thing. But for another-- it's just a dang fun alternative!

Michael Jackson's "Beat It," but in MAJOR key:
"Beat it": original in Major key (full) - YouTube

Village People's "YMCA," but in MINOR key:
"YMCA" reworked to Minor key - YouTube

Mucho mas evidencia aqui:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MajorVsMinor/videos

(Bill, have you seen that stuff? Now I'm familiar with pitch-shifting and mashups, but dang)

Covers would be a similar idea.

3) As a long time streetball player (before I got old, hmmph) and as someone who adores Indie music and modern lounge / ambient, I'm partial to the idea of going a slightly different route, i.e. using such music, but actually giving full credit right in the title ("Bball heroics by rising stud [Song: Blibbeldy-Blabbelty by the XYZ band")

Some off-my-head ideas:

Shawn Lee - Cha Love
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra: Cha Love - YouTube

Cansei de Ser Sexy - Beautiful Song
Beautiful Song - Cansei de Ser Sexy (CSS) - YouTube

Funky Porcini - This Ain't the Way to Live
Funki Porcini - This Ain't The Way to Live - YouTube

Death By Unga Bunga - Stare At The Sun
Death By Unga Bunga - Stare At The Sun - YouTube

Cosmos Sound Club - Les Chrysanthèmes (sort of a French rapping song)
Cosmos Sound Club - Les Chrysanthèmes - YouTube

My thinking is that such would actually be a way to help out band of choice. Like, when you're a little person gazing skywards so to speak, you're not trying to punish people for repeating your music. You're begging them to do it, in fact!

Nic - You've given me a lot of ideas to consider. I like the idea of using the music from a relatively unknown artist to give them a little exposure too. I'm also glad you mentioned unlisted youtube videos too. I needed to transfer the videos from youtube to several of the recruiting sites, and I didn't really want all of my grandson's personal information out on youtube for anyone to see. I set up a youtube account just for his basketball videos, which I tagged as unlisted. That was very helpful!
Yikes! YMCA in a minor key really does have a different feel, doesn't it?

I thought maybe one of you internet/tech savvy folks on PN might be able to help me with a project that I'm working on. I'm putting together a highlights video from our grandson's basketball games and I'm looking for background music that I can use that doesn't require permission or royalty payments. I'm thinking something that is hip-hop, instrumental, bass heavy would be the right vibe for the kids these days. Any suggestions?
You can literally just search "Royalty Free Music" on google and youll find a bunch. If you dont find what youre looking for, just search the same thing on youtube.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back