Gottlieb Solved Count-Down (Gottlieb, 1979) (SS) need help!!!!

Du24pont24

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Target Alpha, Countdown
I have a Gotlieb "countdown" machine that has a trop target bank that will not pop up!

I am new to repairs, so I don't know anything. I was told that with a solid state machine, you can read codes on how to fix???? If so, how do I do it???? Thanks so much for any help!

Derek
Indiana, USA

Solution
the problem might be as simple as a blown fuse. usually with gottlieb each of the bank reset coils is protected by its own fuse. each fuse holder is mounted under playfield near each of the bank reset coils. sometimes the fuse holders are mounted in a row. since countdown uses 5 controlled solenoids, and the driver board has only 3 availible solenoid driver transistors, 2 of the solenoids are controlled by lamp driver transistors and under playfield surface mounted driver transistors. these driver transistors are next to the game over and tilt relays. these 2 driver transistors are used for the yellow and blue drop target bank resets.
you got one of the gottleibs good luck finding a manual for it
as Gottleib is being assholes and they took all their manuals offline
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=countdown&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#573
but check the contacts first on the underside of the play field
clean them with an emery board or business card between the contacts
check for bad/loose wiring
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index2.htm
if you ask one of these owners they may be able to help you with a copy of a manual
http://www.pinballowners.com/owners/573
damn drops. okay check the diode going across the solenoid also
and check the solenoid itself for voltage
make sure all wires have solid connections on the solenoid rig
these pics are from a flash (williams)but the drops all work the same

Attachments

• 1drops.jpg
    1drops.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 248
  • 2drops.jpg
    2drops.jpg
    812.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I'm guessing that if the targets won't come back up it'd be something like a contact not making contact, or reset coil being bad, or broken wire. I'd look there first before I even looked at diagnostics. As a former operator about less than 1% of the time did I even need a manual. The other 99% it was a fix shown above. (Coil, switch, wire, etc).

manuals are for wimps!
I once applied at a chuck e cheese for a tech job
had to take a test failed horribly for I could not name a pic of a bridge rectifier
but I showed him that I can fix most anything
unfortunately that is not what they want they wanted a person who knew the names of the parts.
why? if I can find and fix the problem
cause they're assholes...:)

I once applied at a chuck e cheese for a tech job
had to take a test failed horribly for I could not name a pic of a bridge rectifier

What the hell is that? I always sent out my boardwork. If I knew it was a board problem, off to Worldwide it went......

When used in its most common application, for conversion of an alternating current (AC) input into a direct current (DC) output,<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[1]</sup> it is known as a bridge rectifier.
all coinop video games have it somewhere on the boards
Now I know what they look like!

Attachments

• 800px-Diode_bridge_1000vx4a.jpg
    800px-Diode_bridge_1000vx4a.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 245
  • rectifier.jpg
    rectifier.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 252
the problem might be as simple as a blown fuse. usually with gottlieb each of the bank reset coils is protected by its own fuse. each fuse holder is mounted under playfield near each of the bank reset coils. sometimes the fuse holders are mounted in a row. since countdown uses 5 controlled solenoids, and the driver board has only 3 availible solenoid driver transistors, 2 of the solenoids are controlled by lamp driver transistors and under playfield surface mounted driver transistors. these driver transistors are next to the game over and tilt relays. these 2 driver transistors are used for the yellow and blue drop target bank resets.

Solution
Wow, yes it is a blown fuse! Where can I buy more??? Auto store??? They look different than any other fuse I have seen!?

THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek

drop target bank reset fusing

usually slo-blo or time delay fuses are used to protect coils. bussman MDL are one of the most common types of slo-blo fuses. usually 1 or 2 amp is used for the bank reset coils, next to the fuse holder there should be a paper telling you what amp size you need. since 1 or 2 amp is not a real common size , auto stores might not have them. PBR or marco should have them, or if you have a electrical parts supplier in your area. they are sometimes sold in packs of 5 fuses

many auto parts stores only sell the flat type of fuses now
try a radio shack or an electronic type of store
ask for the older round fuses NOT the newer flat ones

When used in its most common application, for conversion of an alternating current (AC) input into a direct current (DC) output,<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[1]</sup> it is known as a bridge rectifier.
all coinop video games have it somewhere on the boards
Now I know what they look like!

Hey guys, I know it’s not exactly what this thread is about but it looks that some of you may be able to help me here. Thing is, I started learning the ropes of electronics just a few weeks ago and my question may sound stupid for a pro like you, but I’m still going to test my luck. Here’s the deal. I’ve been trying to figure out the difference between a bridge rectifier and a rheostat. I read a bunch of posts about it but I’d really appreciate it if somebody could explain that to me like I’m 5. The best resource that I found on the topic is this article with a video about bridge rectifiers https://www.derf.com/how-a-bridge-rectifier-works-step-by-step-tutorial/ , but it’s still a bit too hard to understand for me :) What’s the biggest conceptual difference between the two (a bridge rectifier and a rheostat)? Thanks

Hey guys, I know it’s not exactly what this thread is about but it looks that some of you may be able to help me here. Thing is, I started learning the ropes of electronics just a few weeks ago and my question may sound stupid for a pro like you, but I’m still going to test my luck. Here’s the deal. I’ve been trying to figure out the difference between a bridge rectifier and a rheostat. I read a bunch of posts about it but I’d really appreciate it if somebody could explain that to me like I’m 5. The best resource that I found on the topic is this article with a video about bridge rectifiers https://www.derf.com/how-a-bridge-rectifier-works-step-by-step-tutorial/ , but it’s still a bit too hard to understand for me :) What’s the biggest conceptual difference between the two (a bridge rectifier and a rheostat)? Thanks
@pinballdaveh

A bridge rectifier is a device consisting of 4 diodes connected in a square. When properly configured an AC voltage is applied to 2 corners and the other 2 corners DC will come out.
Basically used to change AC to DC.
A rheostat is a device similar to a potentiometer or pot for short. A potentiometer will have 3 connections, 2 for the full resistance and 1 for the insulated wiper finger.
The rheostat will only have 2 connections. 1 for one side of the resistance, and the other connection to the insulated wiper finger.
Rheostats are usually used to add a variable resistance to a circuit to decrease somethings strength.

Hi..new to pinball machines..bought a 1979 countdown about a year ago..love it but the other day the hole that ejects the ball in countdown bonus just keeps popping up constantly wheather there’s a ball in it or not any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks

Hi..new to pinball machines..bought a 1979 countdown about a year ago..love it but the other day the hole that ejects the ball in countdown bonus just keeps popping up constantly wheather there’s a ball in it or not any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks
When the ball goes into the hole, it rests on a lever that closes a switch, it sounds like the switch is closed even if there is no ball in the hole
Lift up the playfield and widen the gap slightly

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back