Create/edit rom file?

fireslayer26

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Medieval Madness
How do you go about editing an existing vpinmame rom file? I really just want to edit the music/sound in it.

Thanks

Whoof, that's a pretty ambitious aim. Have you searched on the query? Because I'm pretty sure the Q has been posed before, here and at other forums.

To provide a little context: the biggest difference between a non-pinMAME table and one running pinMAME is who's in control, so to speak. In the former scenario, the table author has to manually set everything up such that their table is in control, via VP. In the latter, it's really pinMAME that's in control, with VP providing the keystroke and event inputs. The table logic is almost nonexistent in that case, and it's pretty hard for the author to exert much control because of all that. That said, possibly there's a way to deliberately pause or mute the ROM, so that you can do something like play some custom music or something. I don't think I've ever heard of that being done with older VP versions, but possibly it's something that's been done with later VPX tables.

You might also look at certain tables that simulate ROM content. I think that's most often done with FP, not VP. FP never got integrated with pinMAME AFAIK, which is why some authors made that effort. Anyway, in such a case, the author has to capture all the media content from the ROM, such as the DMD animation and the music and sounds, then work them in to the table as MP3's and MOV's and that sort of thing. You could start by looking for SS tables simulated in FP (or sometimes VP) to get some examples. There are probably some in the resource section.

So there's three leads for you to follow up on. :)

Last edited:
Whoof, that's a pretty ambitious aim. Have you searched on the query? Because I'm pretty sure the Q has been posed before, here and at other forums.

To provide a little context: the biggest difference between a non-pinMAME table and one running pinMAME is who's in control, so to speak. In the former scenario, the table author has to manually set everything up such that their table is in control, via VP. In the latter, it's really pinMAME that's in control, with VP providing the keystroke and event inputs. The table logic is almost nonexistent in that case, and it's pretty hard for the author to exert much control because of all that. That said, possibly there's a way to deliberately pause or mute the ROM, so that you can do something like play some custom music or something. I don't think I've ever heard of that being done with older VP versions, but possibly it's something that's been done with later VPX tables.

You might also look at certain tables that simulate ROM content. I think that's most often done with FP, not VP. FP never got integrated with pinMAME AFAIK, which is why some authors made that effort. Anyway, in such a case, the author has to capture all the media content from the ROM, such as the DMD animation and the music and sounds, then work them in to the table as MP3's and MOV's and that sort of thing. You could start by looking for SS tables simulated in FP (or sometimes VP) to get some examples. There are probably some in the resource section.

So there's three leads for you to follow up on. :)

Thank you for the explanation. What table would you recommend that is good that doesn't require a ROM that I could work with?

Thank you for the explanation. What table would you recommend that is good that doesn't require a ROM that I could work with?
I don't know what you're aiming for exactly, nor how much programming you're ready to do, but I would think you'd want to start by finding an EM or an SS (ROM, but LED display, not DMD) that you liked. There are plenty in the resource section.

Last edited:
Do you have any more info on "muting" the rom?

**EDIT** I found this: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=35828&p=356564
That's really interesting! I had a feeling there'd been progress on this stuff, but didn't realise how far it had come along the past few years.

So if it was me, I'd probably start by looking at JP's LOTR table mentioned, and probably PinSound Studio. Sounds like a lot of fun, really.

Obviously there's a lot to consider in that thread, and way more things to try out than I'd suspected before.

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#10870]

We could not find the file specified
Could you post the link again?

Or you could try uploading here if you like.

Last edited:
*UPDATED*

Here is the updated zip files. It has the game, the rom and the music. I added some music from the original soundtrack. Place the mp3 files in your Music folder in Visual Pinball. When you launch a ball the music will not automatically start playing. You need to hit the Right MagnaSave button to start the music. Hitting the Left MagnaSave button will stop the music. Hitting the Right MagnaSave button while music is playing will skip to the next track.

Edited by JPH, Removed attached files, see this thread for them:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, where is the file now?

TBH-- I'm basically a total idiot trying to follow along, here.

Thank you. I'm a bit distracted with something, but will take a look soon enough.

Okay, taking a look at this now. What is the difference between the 1.2 version and the Berry Gordy 1985 version?

1.2 is the newest version with built-in music. The Berry Gordy version was the first one I uploaded I just forgot to label it as 1.0.

Just tried it a bit. Interesting. As a matter of fact, I don't remember that movie from back in the day. Apparently it's considered a cult classic, now.

So if I understand correctly, what you've done is to furnish new art and music, while muting the BTTF ROM.

But I wonder if there's a way to preserve some of the original ROM sounds, like when hitting special shots and starting modes. Could be a pretty involved project, I guess.

Yes that's exactly what I did. If there's a way to just use some sounds from the ROM but not others it is beyond me. This is my first attempt at doing anything like this.

Yes that's exactly what I did. If there's a way to just use some sounds from the ROM but not others it is beyond me. This is my first attempt at doing anything like this.
Yeah, that's some great work for a first VP project. So keep on keepin' on!

(for some reason Kung Fu Fighting is popping in to my head now)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back