Help DMD Font Creation Using DMDPaint

Gin

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Tron Legacy
Hi Fellow Virtual Pinball Hobbyists,

Just wondering if anyone could help with creating a *.dmdf file from that attached *.txt file? ?

FYI: I have used a number of *.pgm files to load as individual images into DMDPaint (dmdpaint.exe 128 32 16 8 0), saved the animation sequence (60 Frames) as a *.txt file. Once this had been done, I amended the text files numbers 6,7 to 3, 4,5 to 2, 2,3 to 1 and left the zero's as 0. However, when creating the corresponding *.dmdf file and using (dare I say this...), the normal way for viewing an animation, I have not been successful in viewing it - It seems to show the first frame, with all others in the sequence below it. Also, the frames show up fine in DMDPaint and Gfx2DmdF applications.

Therefore, I am attaching the original *.txt file with numbers 0-7 for you to use, and convert to the 0, 1, 2 and 3 used in a usual *dmdf file.

Any help / guidance (and the process you use) to create a working *.dmdf would be most welcomed. ?

Gin

Attachments

• Test Text File (TWD).txt
    243.9 KB · Views: 101
Hey....Gin....I wish I could help you, but unfortunately I don't know what it is, on the subject of dmd ... I'm far behind with it .

I have never worked with DMD images either. All I have done is add text to the DMD in the script.

@wild @GeorgeH Thanks for the reply's, and no worries about not having done too much with DMD creation etc. - you guys are far more adverse in creating and publishing a table that I would ever be; until I retire - then perhaps... ? , but as you are aware... I just enjoy everything DMD in Future Pinball ?:groupwave:

Also, I have attempted to reach out to 'Smoke' following the recent Ghostbusters table (on gopinball.com - as I do not know if he frequents this site / username etc.), to ask how he captured the DMD fonts, as I am trying to capture 'The Walking Dead' sequences from another Stern table (hence this request for help), and would imagine it to be something similar in approach..? If he responds, and I am able to create a *.dmdf from his process - then I will update this thread accordingly.... well - if anyone provides a process to follow then I will update.

Gin....I don't know if this could help you, or maybe you already know but....I had asked for an explanation of what this was Pinball Browser
HERE and below you can see terry's answer

@TerryRed
Pinball Browser only lets you browse the DMD images and sounds on a Stern rom and extract them (or replace them).

Gin....a man who specializes in DMD is strictly necessary .... if you hadn't had this passion for dmd ..... I could never have made Batman (data east)......don't worry if you still can't make your table .... sooner or later you will succeed

Also, I have attempted to reach out to 'Smoke' following the recent Ghostbusters table (on gopinball.com - as I do not know if he frequents this site / username etc.), to ask how he captured the DMD fonts, as I am trying to capture 'The Walking Dead' sequences from another Stern table (hence this request for help), and would imagine it to be something similar in approach..? If he responds, and I am able to create a *.dmdf from his process - then I will update this thread accordingly.... well - if anyone provides a process to follow then I will update.
Hi, Gin.
@smoke is here. Indeed, he just posted in the Ghostbusters thread.

Thanks @Ike Savage

Smoke has responded to my request at gopinball.com, stating that he used Pinball Browser to create the Ghostbusters *.dmdf files ? thanks Smoke - much appreciated ...

So, the next questions(s) for @smoke that I have (and hope that you don't mind them) would be...

Does Pinball Browser export the DMD Animations in a compatible format for use with Future Pinball?
If not, in what 'format' are the DMD Animation/Frames exported - as a *.jpg / *.png?
If the extracted Pinball Browser format was an image type, please could you explain how you got them in to a *.dmdf file?
If not, and using Pinball Browsers exported/extracted format - How did you create the Future Pinball Ghostbusters *.dmdf files from the output?

Thanks @Ike Savage

Smoke has responded to my request at gopinball.com, stating that he used Pinball Browser to create the Ghostbusters *.dmdf files ? thanks Smoke - much appreciated ...

So, the next questions(s) for @smoke that I have (and hope that you don't mind them) would be...

Does Pinball Browser export the DMD Animations in a compatible format for use with Future Pinball?
If not, in what 'format' are the DMD Animation/Frames exported - as a *.jpg / *.png?
If the extracted Pinball Browser format was an image type, please could you explain how you got them in to a *.dmdf file?
If not, and using Pinball Browsers exported/extracted format - How did you create the Future Pinball Ghostbusters *.dmdf files from the output?
Did @smoke ever explain it to you Gin ?

hello

-the paid version can export the animations but i don't think it use the same format as future pinball (i think it is png or gif)

-yes i manually saved one by one the animations...... yes a very loooooooonnng task.......

-i've used the Gfx2DmdF.exe tool -> http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5565 (GoPinball.com • View topic - how to create .dmdf from windows fonts?)

hello

-the paid version can export the animations but i don't think it use the same format as future pinball (i think it is png or gif)

-yes i manually saved one by one the animations...... yes a very loooooooonnng task.......

-i've used the Gfx2DmdF.exe tool -> http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5565 (GoPinball.com • View topic - how to create .dmdf from windows fonts?)
Thanks Smokey !

There is a free pdf guide about creating some DMD font for futurepinball. It explain first to simply use the basic DMD font. Later it explain using the soft Gfx2DmdF, wich is a software that you can put some images and transform them into some DMD animation. Here is the link to this free pdf guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B60m6W-FuLPHZ0VRWHFLTThTUFk/view?usp=sharing

And here is a youtube video of a pinball that have some animated images (made with Gfx2DmdF)transformed into a DMD:
You see a floating Hud DMD, that have an skeleton (multi images), that is on the top-right. In this pinball you also see near the bumpers of the flippers, some spider web, that the ball can pass under (see trough the spider web).

Hope it help?

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back