Do you play an instrument?

@Isaac Sauvage
Don't sweat it my friend.
When you are using harmonics, you place your finger over the actual fret bar. (Not between them like if you were using regular method of tuning)
You don't press down on the fret bar with your finger. You just place your finger on the string, but over the fret bar, which is how he can remove his hand and tone still plays.

We also did a Cockburn song called “Closer to the Light”. Which is a little morbid but celebrates the mystery of life and death and that sometimes what we perceive as a step into darkness may actually be a step “closer to the light”…who knows.

I howl the first verse and choruses .
Steve on acoustic and second verse , Paul keyboard, Gerry Mandolin , Peter and Raz singing on chorus.
Oh man, I had this one on repeat today.
I mean Closer to the Light.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's down to the nature of aging, or moreso because of how easy it is to put things on repeat now with modern tech (haha, remember falling all over oneself trying to do it smoothly with 33's?), but for some reason or other I've come to really appreciate playing a single tune over & over again, sorta 'melding in to it' a little more with each pass.

True, it seemed hella weird at first, but not the slightest bit weird in actual practice.
Hmm..

Like-- hearing the various nuances of a repeated song, registering the various instruments playing, and considering (or inconsidering?) whatever depths the lyrics possess. Then sometimes also getting in to a sort of 'meditative state' upon the listening, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I did that earlier today for the Howlers version of Cockburn's song, and I really enjoyed it. Thank you kindly, Bob, for that gift to us.

So... err, um... any chance of hearing another of y'alls tracks, Bob?
Pretty please? :star:

Good point touching nuances. I do hear the same song many times but not because I like it (ok, I obviously do) but just to focus on something I might have missed the first time.

There was one time in my life when I spent many hours hearing different remasters of the same song to check which one had "more" especially on highs (either lacking or too bright) and mid-lows (that can be muddy) and sometimes reaching the conclusion that sometimes we really can't do anything about it for several reasons. And when in doubt I used the web to read reviews and opinions and then listen again.

Funny story, Disney is notorious for poor sound quality in their movies but their latest Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018 I think?) though visually great (and that's it) brought a live recording with it. Performed y the LA Philarmonic with Gustavo Dudamel conducting it is worth the time listening from start to finish. Hear it on decent speakers/headphones and you don't need movies or watch the ballet.

For those interested, I'm talking about this version of the Nutcracker.

Pro hint: when it comes to music if there is a Japan pressing you probably want that version.

I know, I'm awkward and even more so if you can imagine the time I've spent through the years looking for changes in the remasters, sometimes just ONE but one that couldn't be heard on any other version. even though I lost almost everything recently too, I still enjoyed every minute of it so it was time well spent.

I wish my guitar playing could develop faster (my hands don't let me) because the sound quality coming from my lack of experience annoys me :D

Sorry for the off-topic.

Good point touching nuances. I do hear the same song many times but not because I like it (ok, I obviously do) but just to focus on something I might have missed the first time.

There was one time in my life when I spent many hours hearing different remasters of the same song to check which one had "more" especially on highs (either lacking or too bright) and mid-lows (that can be muddy) and sometimes reaching the conclusion that sometimes we really can't do anything about it for several reasons. And when in doubt I used the web to read reviews and opinions and then listen again.

Funny story, Disney is notorious for poor sound quality in their movies but their latest Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018 I think?) though visually great (and that's it) brought a live recording with it. Performed y the LA Philarmonic with Gustavo Dudamel conducting it is worth the time listening from start to finish. Hear it on decent speakers/headphones and you don't need movies or watch the ballet.

For those interested, I'm talking about this version of the Nutcracker.

Pro hint: when it comes to music if there is a Japan pressing you probably want that version.

I know, I'm awkward and even more so if you can imagine the time I've spent through the years looking for changes in the remasters, sometimes just ONE but one that couldn't be heard on any other version. even though I lost almost everything recently too, I still enjoyed every minute of it so it was time well spent.

I wish my guitar playing could develop faster (my hands don't let me) because the sound quality coming from my lack of experience annoys me :D

Sorry for the off-topic.
Tiago, you are the best.

Oh man, I had this one on repeat today.
I mean Closer to the Light.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's down to the nature of aging, or moreso because of how easy it is to put things on repeat now with modern tech (haha, remember falling all over oneself trying to do it smoothly with 33's?), but for some reason or other I've come to really appreciate playing a single tune over & over again, sorta 'melding in to it' a little more with each pass.

True, it seemed hella weird at first, but not the slightest bit weird in actual practice.
Hmm..

Like-- hearing the various nuances of a repeated song, registering the various instruments playing, and considering (or inconsidering?) whatever depths the lyrics possess. Then sometimes also getting in to a sort of 'meditative state' upon the listening, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I did that earlier today for the Howlers version of Cockburn's song, and I really enjoyed it. Thank you kindly, Bob, for that gift to us.

So... err, um... any chance of hearing another of y'alls tracks, Bob?
Pretty please? :star:
Wow thanks Nic and Charles from before and Anon and George et al

I often do the same with music , put it on repeat and let it wash.

It can be nuanced and surprising and much more or less LOL 😆 than the band intended.

This recording I fear captured the limits of my skill and if you grooved with it , I die a happy man. ( but perhaps in a private thread those who are interested could share recordings of our attempts at stuff)
Likely not interesting to the public

We have had many moments as Howlers that we thought hit a sweet spot and others where we crashed .

We only play for each other and the recordings we have are just Iphone garage band in promptu stuff

Our ages range from 59 (me) to 68 so you can imagine our repertoire
Beatles , Van Morrison , U2 , Eagles, Billy Joel , CCR , Elyon John etc ….

We also tend to lean on folky stuff like Gordon Lightfoot , Neil Young and Bruce Cockburn. (Canadian Guys)

If you like Closer to Light ,
You really should listen to Cockburn’s
“Pacing the Cage” which puts me in a similar zone

“Sunset is an Angel weeping holding out a bloody sword…”

Cheers and thanks !

Sure.
So back just a year or two ago or so, the local DJ (Kenny) liked to call me up on stage over and over, and I honestly sucked pretty bad as a singer at the time, but he and they seemed to find my weak-ass singing fairly hilarious, stoopid-idiot, whatever. At the time, mind you.

Point is, I guess-- some things, you just have to roll with.
Now, I'm not going to say that I learned to be mean or cruel, or that it led me to become a crushingly better singer... *Than them* honestly.

This was the second-to-last song I sang at Senor Tequilas,' just before it came crashing down to earth.
During the major interval, I set down my yuke, picked up a light-spinner, and danced in front of the little crowd, pantomiming an imaginary partner. (she was an unexpectedly good dance partner, too!).

I felt like kind of Freddy Mercury right there, just a bit!

Last edited:
Anyway, I could try to sing something for my cellphone.
Would that be okay?

Tiago, you are the best.
I wish.

I usually record myself to see how I can improve but I can try one song (a full song that is :) )
Let's see if I can do so this weekend but like I said... I'm far from being a musician and it'll sound... Not so good.
I record myself using an ik multimedia interface

oops

Last edited:
Ooer, good timing!

Me, whilst attempting to grab a potent whiskey today, in celebration of my successful dental surgery, I just ran in to an old group of friends who used to sing karaoke with me, right here in the square!

Bob-- you bet your boots, we're gonna sing a good one for you, matey. Like--

Remember the Blues Bros? "Haha, yes... Oh, WATCH OUT!" :-D

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back