GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
GeorgeH submitted a new resource:

Doctor Who (Bally,1992) - Updates Ian's and NitroNimbus's versions of the table.

I am releasing this table now even though I had planned to do more work on it. My coding partner, JP (aka Popotte) is not available until September, 2022. The table is in a playable state right now. I have decided to go ahead and publish it even though I have some additional changes planned. I am burned out on it right now and would like to move on to something else until JP gets back.

In addition to JP's excellent coding expertise, Paolo (aka Wild) was a big help also. I asked for his help...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Very beautyful table - at the first look it plays very good... maybe the third flipper could be a bit more "powerful" - just my feeling...
the 4-colored DMD looks very good !
Well done !!

Very beautyful table - at the first look it plays very good... maybe the third flipper could be a bit more "powerful" - just my feeling...
the 4-colored DMD looks very good !
Well done !!

Thanks! The omega (power) on the upper flipper is already set pretty high but the end user can easily make changes. Open the script and search for:

const MinOmegaB

There is a max and min omega for the tip and base of the flipper that can be adjusted.

If you change it, you might left me know the values you settle on.

Hi George,
at first i looked into the older version (MOD2) - there was no separate setting for upper flipper. But it felt right as it was.
So in the new table i tried to use now the same value for upper flipper as the normal ones... but it feels not "strong" enough.
Only with (maybe very) higher values of 85 and 95 for Min and Max of OmegaB i can hit the middle ramp ("complete 4x ...")

For now i can't see Dr Who for a while - playing/testing the table for about 2 hours at once ;)

Karl

Hi George,
at first i looked into the older version (MOD2) - there was no separate setting for upper flipper. But it felt right as it was.
So in the new table i tried to use now the same value for upper flipper as the normal ones... but it feels not "strong" enough.
Only with (maybe very) higher values of 85 and 95 for Min and Max of OmegaB i can hit the middle ramp ("complete 4x ...")

For now i can't see Dr Who for a while - playing/testing the table for about 2 hours at once ;)

Karl

I have been experimenting with it. Try setting the omegas back to what they were and replace the XML in the script with this:

'=============================== PHYSICS XML ===========================
'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
'<document>
' <physics slope="6.8" fps="296" threaded="1"></physics>
' <ball newtonDamping="0" mass="81" gravity="7100" damping="0.95"></ball>
' <flipper rotationSpeedChart="{0.0,100.0}[0.0,100.0]" newtonDamping="0.01" releaseOmega="48.0" mass="99999.0" omega="30.0" moeMethod="0"
' leftXoff="0" leftYoff="0" leftZoff="0"
' rightXoff="0" rightYoff="0" rightZoff="0"></flipper>
' <bumper impulse="90.0" impulseRandomness="0" vectorRandomness="6"></bumper>
' <autoplunger mass="20000.0" force="60000.0"></autoplunger>
' <diverter mass="10000.0" omega="33.0"></diverter>
' <gate mass="0.005" gravity="2500.0" damping="0.25"></gate>
' <kicker impulse="1000.0" vukImpulse="1400.0" impulseRandomness="2" vectorRandomness="1"></kicker>
' <plunger mass="20000.0" force="30000.0"></plunger>
' <slingshot impulse="700.0" impulseRandomness="15" vectorRandomness="3"></slingshot>
' <spindisk mass="10000.0" angularDamp="0.33" linearDamp="0.25"></spindisk>
' <spinner mass="60.0" gravity="100.0" angularDamp="0.25" angularAccel="5.25" spinDampLoose="0.55" spinBackLoose="1.70" spinDampNorm="0.75" spinBackNorm="1.80" spinDampTight="0.95" spinBackTight="1.90"></spinner>
' <emkicker mass="10000.0" omega="80.0"></emkicker>
' <varitarget mass="500.0" damping="0.9" tension="3.0" return="15.0"></varitarget>
' <magnet impulse="10.0" impulseRandomness="2"></magnet>
' <nudge impulse="120.0" impulseRandomness="25.0" warningLevel="250" leftAngle="60" upAngle="0" rightAngle="320" vectorRandomness="5" visualDistance="1" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="500.0"></nudge>
' <defaultMat softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.02"></defaultMat>
' <playfieldMat softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.2" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></playfieldMat>
' <metalMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.15" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.02"></metalMat>
' <woodMat softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.15" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></woodMat>
' <plasticMat softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.2" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></plasticMat>
' <rubberHardMat softnessCoef="0.06" elasticCoef="0.3" staticFriction="0.07" kineticFriction="0.07"></rubberHardMat>
' <rubberIntMat softnessCoef="0.07" elasticCoef="0.4" staticFriction="0.07" kineticFriction="0.07"></rubberIntMat>
' <rubberSoftMat softnessCoef="0.08" elasticCoef="0.5" staticFriction="0.08" kineticFriction="0.08"></rubberSoftMat>
' <gateMat softnessCoef="0.05" elasticCoef="0.55" staticFriction="0" kineticFriction="0"></gateMat>
' <kickerMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.05" staticFriction="0.8" kineticFriction="0.8"></kickerMat>
' <rampMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.01" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></rampMat>
' <plungerMat softnessCoef="0.04" elasticCoef="0.4" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></plungerMat>
' <spindiskMat softnessCoef="0.05" elasticCoef="0.5" staticFriction="2" kineticFriction="2"></spindiskMat>
'</document>
'=============================== PHYSICS XML ===========================

Hi George,

thanks, this script is better - now the upper flipper has more power.
Some "bugs" i have seen during test-plays:

after "second chance" there is no plunger-noise ("over-tuned" by speaking ?)

locked balls sometimes are not in their normal place, but at positions I marked with white "circles"

Locked_Ball_Places.png

GeorgeH updated Doctor Who (Bally, 1992) with a new update entry:

Doctor Who (Bally, 1992)

Version 2.6.6 includes these changes:

While playing the Doctor 3 mode, the table displayed sequential numbers on the DMD when you hit the "O" after successfully hitting the "W" and "H" ramps. Gimli added a DMD font and the code to make it run so there are no more sequential numbers displayed.

Gimli also changed the DMD so it displays the 7 doctors when the ball comes out to the plunger instead of having it displaying the credits. You can still hit the flipper keys to move through the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thank you for the update .... play's better than before...love the dmd coloring..too

Just good @GeorgeH ,I try it, I'll tell you my opinion.

Bene!!!, Itried it and you seem to have kept my changes as i made them .... waoo i didn't remember that the gameplay was so great, also thanks to excellent physics, i take the 2 ramps very easily.I see that popotte also did a great job, regarding the dmd, and I see it different than I remembered it, very well.

I remembered a couple of errors, regarding who sequence, and sonicboom after 10 times, did you fix them?

I remembered a couple of errors, regarding who sequence, and sonicboom after 10 times, did you fix them?

It has been a while but think JP fix most of the problems. Right now it seems to add balls during multiball and the Davros multiball mode seems to repeat. If we get it working correctly, I plan to continue to add the rest of the things I planned quite a long time ago like the lighting.

Like Ronald71 says, it play's better than before we started.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: AnushDCosta is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back