Dual monitor support for visual pinball

cyberk30

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Is it possible to have dual monitors for visual pinball and visual pinmame like future pinball has? It's easy to find it for Future Pinball to set up two monitors. Im new to visual pinball and visual pinmame and I can't figure out if you can have dual monitor support.

I tried to do a search on this forum for dual monitor support to no avail.

Thanks for your help

Find your VPinMAME Setup.exe and Double-Click on it to open it.
Then when the setup menu appears click the Setup paths button and follow the attached picture of the Setup paths menu. Reset the pull-down to whichever monitor you want to display the DMD (the Scoreboard). Click O.K. to exit.

Note: Do not Double-Click the Visual Pinball Installer or the V.I.P installer. Look for the VPM Setup.exe in your current installation folder(s) and use it.

Attachments

• VPMSetup.jpg
    VPMSetup.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,446
What Sleepy said, except if you used the VIP to install everything you can simply use the 'Setup VisualPinMAME' shortcut in your startmenu to invoke the VPM setup screen,...

I'v tried that and I see the DMD on fullscreen on 2nd monitor but now the table is just a black screen. I can hear the sounds of the ball and flippers but I can't see the table.

Do you have "Cache Rendered Table" checked? In the editor screen at the top click Preferences > Video options and Uncheck it.

Right-Click on any open space on the Desktop > choose Properties.
The Display menu should appear. At the top click the Settings tab.
Then click the Advanced button.
Look for something like a Monitors tab or a Displays tab and check to see if both monitors are enabled.

Are both monitors working for other programs or is only one monitor or the other working?

Do both monitors use the same type of connector, for instance, two VGA connectors, or two DVI connectors, or two HDMI connectors?

In the Visual Pinball editor screen click File > New. A basic start table should open.
Click Play and check which monitor the table appears on, because the VPinMAME setting for dual monitors should not affect which monitor the table displays on and because a VP start table doesn't use VPinMAME at all. It only uses Visual Pinball. The table should appear on the same monitor that the VP editor and the normal Windows Desktop appear on.

Last edited:
I can play Future pinball with both monitors fine. So I know it's not my monitors. I have a 32" tv for my primary monitor and 19" computer monitor for the backglass. The tv uses HDMI ony no vga and the monitor uses vga and dvi. I have the monitor hooked to the dvi. If I uncheck full screen on the vpinmame setup but leave at the 2nd monitor option the table shows up but then the DMD is black in the table monitor. Maybe VP is more graphic intensive then Futurepinball when running dual monitor.

If the Windows XP Desktop displays on the smaller DVI monitor then you will need to open the Windows Display menu > settings tab > advanced button and see if the t.v. is set as the first monitor. If this control is available in the Windows Display > Advanced menu then check the monitor order and try to set the t.v. to the first monitor position and the DVI to the second monitor position.

Visual Pinball tables display on the same system monitor that displays the Windows XP Desktop, VP editor, etc. If that isn't it, then there's something else going on. I'm guessing that Future Pinball allows you to select which monitor displays the table?

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back