Error on start up with some tables.

Tentpeg

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Hi, Just recently got the pinball itch so reinstalled Vis Pinball. I had quite a few tables from some years ago but am finding a few no longer work. The main error I get after hitting "play" is "Machine terminated before initialized, check rom path or rom file". Is their a list that has the expected rom file name the table requires?

I have installed Viusal Install pack 8.1_2.01 with vpinmame 201. The scripts are vpvbs3-27.

Any advice appreciated.

Tentpeg.

If you are missing the ROM file, a window comes up that tells you what ROM was expected. (See attachment.) That window comes up with a lot of useful data actually, not only what ROM was missing, but what might be wrong as well.

Be sure you have the expected ROM zipped in the directory shown on that screen.

Attachments

• missingroms.jpg
    missingroms.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 346
that's exactly how I know which rom is needed, instead of possibly d/loading the wrong one, I just start it and when that screen comes on, I write down therom name then go to IPDB and search for the table then just d/load that rom. It's all pretty self-explanatory.

Yes, that windows does come up for some tables so from that I can rename Rom etc. I still get the above msg on tables without getting a clue to the Rom it is looking for. It comes up as an actual error box...no other information.

I have been to the IPDB site but am faced with varoius "ROM" files...sometimes a list of 10 or so. Do you get anything that says (Pinmame) rom?

You can't just rename any ROM to the name it's looking for, you need to have the correct ROM. Without the correct ROM, the next message you'll get is the machine terminated message and it won't play.

As for which of the PinMame ROMs you need to get, it really depends on what the table author programmed into the table. In my example above, the table was looking for "bsv103" as the ROM. If I go to IPDB's page for this table (http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3784), I'll see that the first PinMame download is for bsv103.zip - that's my match. Getting the others won't hurt anything, in this case it just wouldn't have needed them.

Many times the needed ROM is available from the download page, if so, get it there, it's almost certain to be the one you need.

Ok, here is a good example.
Indiana Jones b5. I hit play, get the error stated above..no information regarding ROM names etc. I go to IPDB site http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=indiana&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5306 & am faced with 10 or so ROMS d/ls. I have download a few & tried to "guess" from the d/l what Rom folder needs to be created without success. I'm sorry if this is getting repetitive but hopefully you can see my problem.

Thanks!

Ok, have got a couple of the non-working tables playable through the roms at that IPDB site.

Thanks for the link & help.

Ok, here is a good example.
Indiana Jones b5. I hit play, get the error stated above..no information regarding ROM names etc. I go to IPDB site http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=indiana&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5306 & am faced with 10 or so ROMS d/ls. I have download a few & tried to "guess" from the d/l what Rom folder needs to be created without success. I'm sorry if this is getting repetitive but hopefully you can see my problem.

Thanks!
You've got me all confused, since you've linked to a table you couldn't have possibly downloaded. Stern made one in 2008, while Williams made the original in 1993. The table you've downloaded must be the Williams version not the Stern table that you linked to, because there is no recreation of the Stern version yet (and there isn't likely to be one soon).

If you can give me a download link to the "b5" version that you've got, I'll see if I can figure this out and offer you some more specific advice.

Additional notes about ROMs on IPDB:

Williams Indiana Jones for example lists these PinMame ROMs:
Code:
 	 808 KB	 ZIP 	PinMame ROMs Set (L-3)	
 	 808 KB	 ZIP 	PinMame ROMs Set (L-4)	
 	 808 KB	 ZIP 	PinMame ROMs Set (L-5)	
 	 357 KB	 ZIP 	PinMame ROMs Set (L-6)	
 	 4 MB	 ZIP 	PinMame ROMs Set (L-7)	
 	 357 KB	 ZIP 	PinMame Romsets (LG-7)

Right off the bat you can see that one of those ROMs (L-7) is much larger. It's the "parent" ROM - the main ROM needed to get the machine run. You need that file regardless of what other ROM version you want to run. The others are "child" ROMs. They work in conjunction with the parent ROM to run the table. So, if you're particular table is looking for the L-6 ROM, you'd not only need to download the L-6 ROM, you'd need to download the L-7 ROM as well.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: GeorgeH has posted a new reply in the thread "How to Install Addressable LEDs".
      Back