BAM Flipper Bounce Sound (inside the "Dynamic Flippers") for better execution.

wild

No Bam no Play
Chat Moderator
Well, thanks to our friend, @NitroNimbus , who reminded me and suggested this.
I honestly talked and shared of this,on Dragon keep Here, but didn't open a suitable thread, so here it is:
Copy this code and paste it under the one of the "Dynamic Flippers" because that's where it belongs.....and don't forget to add sound, to your table,

'--------------------------sound bounce
xBAM.CreateAllExt()

Sub LeftFlipper_preHit()
Flipper_preHit(LeftFlipperExt)
End Sub

Sub RightFlipper_preHit()
Flipper_preHit(RightFlipperExt)
End Sub

Const MinBallSpeed = 100
Const MaxBallSpeed = 1000

Sub Flipper_preHit(FlipperExt)
If Not FlipperExt.Hit Then Exit Sub ' we don't expect hit
If FlipperExt.BallVSpeed < MinBallSpeed Then Exit Sub ' ball moves too slow.. no sound

Dim vol
vol = FlipperExt.BallVSpeed / MaxBallSpeed
If vol > 1 Then vol = 1
PlaySound "fx-rubber", vol*2 ' sound volume

AddDebugText "vol = " & vol & ", CP = " & FlipperExt.ContactPoint
End Sub

Attachments

• Flipper Bounce Sound.fpt
    234.5 KB · Views: 16

NitroNimbus

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Hi Wild,
Thanks mate, It works perfectly and really adds to the feel of a real ball hitting the flippers.
Calculating the balls velocity to only register a flipper hit sound when the ball is fast enought to do so is brilliant.
Well done!!, cheers!

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
This is cool! I decided to add it to Twilight Zone. The sound level wasn't really load enough to be heard over the other sounds. I tried adjusting volume in the script but just increasing the sound level in the audio file worked better. The level can be increased by 5 dB and still not clip.

What do you think about moving this topic to "End User Guides"? This seems to be a tutorial.

wild

No Bam no Play
Chat Moderator
What do you think about moving this topic to "End User Guides"? This seems to be a tutorial.
I think you could add a new window in bam section , for example bam-functions

honestly we are talking about functions of bam, not guide or a tutorial or help....just my thought.

wild

No Bam no Play
Chat Moderator
Ok,thanks to @GeorgeH and @AnonTet ,who have found and implemented a better way to execute the code, this has also made a significant improvement to the "Dynamic Flippers" code.Here is their work.

NOTE:
the values( in blue) are at your discretion and decision according to your tables.
'Define Game Flags

Dim base_elasticCoef
Dim expected_ball_speed_after_hit
Dim minimum_elasticCoef_to_scale_fast_balls
Dim reduction_for_flipper_in_motion

Sub FuturePinball_BeginPlay()

base_elasticCoef = 0.86 ' very bouncy flipper rubber
expected_ball_speed_after_hit = 300 ' calc elasticCoef to get desired ball speed after ball hit flipper
minimum_elasticCoef_to_scale_fast_balls = 0.11 ' we will add this to calculated elastiCoef, so ball after hit will have aditional 5% of speed before hit
reduction_for_flipper_in_motion = 0.18 ' if flipper is not in starting point, reduce elasticCoef by 20%

Const BAM_VERSION = 0
AddDebugText BAM_VERSION

If BAM_VERSION => 233 then
Dim omegaCorrectionL
Dim omegaCorrectionR
Dim BounceMix
End If

If BAM_VERSION => 233 then
const MinOmega = 32 ' Omega at tip of flipper. Must be < MaxOmega.
const MaxOmegaL = 34 ' Omega at base of left flipper. Must be > MinOmega.
const MaxOmegaR = 34 ' Omega at base of right flipper. Must be > MinOmega.
End If

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Left Flipper PreHit Code'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Sub LeftFlipper_prehit()
If BAM_VERSION < 233 then Exit Sub
Dim ball
Set ball = xBAM.BallCloseTo(0,0)
OnPreHitFlipperSettings(LeftFlipperExt)
omegaCorrectionl = MaxOmegal - (LeftFlipperExt.ContactPoint * ((MaxOmegal - MinOmega)/1.2))
If LeftFlipperExt.ContactPoint < 0.0 then LeftFlipperExt.Omega = MaxOmegal
If LeftFlipperExt.ContactPoint > 1.2 then LeftFlipperExt.Omega = MinOmega
If (LeftFlipperExt.ContactPoint => 0.0) And (LeftFlipperExt.ContactPoint =< 1.2) then
LeftFlipperExt.Omega = omegaCorrectionl
End if
End Sub

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Right Flipper Prehit Code'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Sub RightFlipper_prehit()
If BAM_VERSION < 233 then Exit Sub
Dim ball
OnPreHitFlipperSettings(RightFlipperExt)
omegaCorrectionr = MaxOmegar - (RightFlipperExt.ContactPoint * ((MaxOmegar - MinOmega)/1.2))
If RightFlipperExt.ContactPoint < 0.0 then RightFlipperExt.Omega = MaxOmegar
If RightFlipperExt.ContactPoint > 1.2 then RightFlipperExt.Omega = MinOmega
If (RightFlipperExt.ContactPoint => 0.0) And (RightFlipperExt.ContactPoint =< 1.2) then
RightFlipperExt.Omega = omegaCorrectionr
End if
End Sub

Sub OnPreHitFlipperSettings(FlipperExt)
If BAM_VERSION < 254 then Exit Sub
Dim ball
If xBAM.Ball.Speed <= 200 then ' 85 is the speed of the ball from a cradled release to the tip of the flipper.
adddebugtext "noBounce"
LeftFlipperExt.SetMaterial 0.62, 0.12, 0.06, 0.075
RightFlipperExt.SetMaterial 0.62, 0.12, 0.06, 0.075
End If
If Not FlipperExt.Hit Then Exit Sub ' we don't expect hit
If FlipperExt.BallVSpeed > 100 Then ' 100 = min ball speed
Dim vol
vol = FlipperExt.BallVSpeed / 1000 ' 1000 = max ball speed
If vol > 1 Then vol = 1
PlaySound "fx-rubber", vol* 2 ' sound volume
AddDebugText "vol = " & vol & ", CP = " & FlipperExt.ContactPoint
End If
If xBAM.Ball.Speed <= 200 then Exit Sub
If FlipperExt.Hit Then
Dim elasticCoef
Dim maxElasticCoef
Dim ballSpeed
ballSpeed = (FlipperExt.BallVSpeed + xBAM.Ball.Speed) * 0.5 ' averge speed of
maxElasticCoef = base_elasticCoef
If FlipperExt.AngleDiff > 1 Then maxElasticCoef = maxElasticCoef - reduction_for_flipper_in_motion
elasticCoef = base_elasticCoef
If ballSpeed > 1 Then elasticCoef = expected_ball_speed_after_hit / ballSpeed
elasticCoef = elasticCoef + minimum_elasticCoef_to_scale_fast_balls
If elasticCoef > maxElasticCoef Then elasticCoef = maxElasticCoef
FlipperExt.SetMaterial elasticCoef
End If
End Sub

various explanations about the "Dynamic Flippers" code

' FLIPPER OMEGA

' You may want to adjust the strength (also called omega) of the flippers when you add dynamic flippers to other tables.
' Only change the values for "MaxOmega" and "MinOmega" These settings override the flipper omega listed in the XML.
' You probably will want to adjust MaxOmega between 40 and 50 and MinOmega between 29 and 33.
' You need to leave the section below "MaxOmega" unchanged and then go on to "BOUNCE CCONTROL" below.
' Gimli likes to be able to change the omega at the base of each flipper so it affects aiming and the option is included here also.

' BOUNCE CONTROL

'Sub OnPreHitFlipperSettings(FlipperExt) ' George
' If BAM_VERSION < 233 then Exit Sub
'If BounceMix = 1 then OnPreHitFlipperSettings_nobounceControl(FlipperExt) ' Bounce Control Turned Off
'If BounceMix = 2 then OnPreHitFlipperSettings_bounceControl(FlipperExt) ' Bounce Control On
'End Sub

' Bounce control is the amount of bounce the ball makes when it hits a stationary flipper. If you want to increase or decrease
' bounce, it can be difficult because there are 4 parameters that you have to adjust. To make it easier, I have provided the
' following list of values that can be entered into the code below. I think the changes from one group of settings to the next result
' in fairly small changes in bounce but you can use the midpoint between two sets of values also. Note that bounce control
' overrides flipper elasticity listed in the XML.

' Suggested values from low bounce on the left to high bounce on the right
' Group: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
' base_elasticCoef 0.84 0.86 0.88 0.89 0.91 0.93 0.95 0.97 0.99 1.01 1.03 1.04
' expected_ball_speed_after_hit 280.00 300.00 320.00 340.00 360.00 380.00 400.00 420.00 440.00 460.00 480.00 500.00
' minimum_elasticCoef_to_scale_fast_balls 0.09 0.11 0.13 0.14 0.16 0.18 0.20 0.22 0.24 0.26 0.28 0.29
' reduction_for_flipper_in_motion 0.19 0.18 0.18 0.17 0.16 0.16 0.15 0.14 0.14 0.13 0.13 0.12

' New Values (where values in the XML for leftYoff equals 0 and rightYoff equals 0)

' Group: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
' base_elasticCoef 0.55 0.57 0.59 0.60 0.62 0.64 0.66 0.68 0.70 0.71 0.73 0.75
' expected_ball_speed_after_hit 146.00 170.00 195.00 219.00 243.00 267.00 292.00 316.00 340.00 365.00 389.00 413.00
' minimum_elasticCoef_to_scale_fast_balls 0.01 0.02 0.03 0.04 0.05 0.06 0.07 0.08 0.09 0.09 0.10 0.11
' reduction_for_flipper_in_motion 0.23 0.22 0.21 0.20 0.19 0.19 0.18 0.17 0.16 0.16 0.15 0.14

I think everything is correct, but if I did something wrong please can you intervene.... @GeorgeH @AnonTet

AnonTet

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
In reality, I just moved code that already existed and eliminated some Sub's that I though were unnecessary.

But thanks for mentioning me.

The above looks alright in a quick inspection but if anyone using it has any trouble, fell free to ask for help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    @ Todd: **** **** **** *** ** ***** *** ******* *** *** ***** ***** ** ***** *** *** **** *** **** ** ****