AnonTet

Pinball Master
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones
Hello people,

I just now noticed a bug I have in a table i'm trying to update and unfortunately can't pinpoint where this was started.

I only now happen to start with a clean fpRam and the problem is that the very first time the table spits a meditation error but after that it can be launched as many times as possible.

Clean the fpRam and the first launch spits an error again.

the other problem is that the error is not always the same. it stops at the very first Sub it calls. Example, if the 1st Sub is Sub A() and I delete the fpRam file (or clear it in Table Info) and then launch the table, it fails on Sub A(). If I comment it, reset fpRam file and launch again it fails on Sub B() and so on and so forth.

I'm really banging my head on this one and it only happens in first launch! after that everything is fine!

So if any coder has any idea on why this happens a possible solution would be VERY welcomed :D

I do have to say I have checks for the nvRn vars that I use and adddebug text shows they are initialized. Maybe i'm checking in the wrong places but i'm not finished with coding more adddebugtext in several other places.

Thanks in advance.

/edit
Thanks for movin to the right place. I have not seen this sub-thread when I posted. Much like I had not seen wild's post at first either! It does not happen only on this forum. I know the problem is on a couple of plugins that need some tuning.

Last edited:
Note: coder.....the translator tells me he is a programmer

just a suggestion ..... sometimes a problem that happens unexpectedly ... you think it may be what you think, but sometimes it isn't, you are asking for help from a programmer (coder) as you call it..... I am not a programmer or coder but sometimes I can have some intuition that a programmer, or a super man, of codes .... can escape ....

I could tell you that
1) put a picture of the meditation error
2) if you have bam codes, and you get an error that is somehow related to bam, .... fp gives you a red herring ... that is to a "sub"or line ... that has absolutely nothing to do with it .. as in your case the first "sub" .....
3) in another context, I seem to have told you, that fp behaves strangely .... if you open the table many times without ever leaving or closed fp .... and if you open more tables in the same editor
4) ok, you talk about fpRam, and you think that resetting him solves the problem .... but ,as have saying before maybe, it's not that resetting the fpRam, which could solve the problem you get

they are just thoughts of someone who has not been able to study beyond the "average license" or middle school, in order to understand each other.

regards

If the problem only occurs on one table, I suggest sending it to Popotte.

Thanks for movin to right. I have not seen this sub-thread when I posted. Much like I had not seen wild's post at first either! It does not happen only on this forum. I know the problem is on a couple of plugins that need some tuning.
I have no idea, and understand, what you mean, and what are you talking about, sorry.
have you found a solution, maybe?

@wild
Thanks again. I can't seem to thank you enough for everything so far :)

The problem is that the error only happens only once, after fpRam reset. Closing and opening the table again, it works! The image won't do much because it is different as I comment code. It just skips to the next line the interpreter thinks is next or whatever. I really fdon't know.

When I wrote coder was only because some people know the inner works of vbscript (in this case) and others like me can read and write a bit but can be stuck on things as simple as syntax sometimes (it can very well be the case here). You know I'm just an amateur at best that decided to give this a shot! That's why I wrote coder as it can be a very specific vbscript quirk that I'm unware of. Odds are at 99,9% chance I messed something up however i'll be once again make a fool out of myself :)

Forget the the edit. That was for the mods. It's a browser/plugin issue I have with forums.

@popotte
Thanks.

@GeorgeH
Done as it is only on one table

@poppote
It is working. thank you very much.

And for the sake of documentation, it seems that the "liberty" vbscript allows regarding not so structured code has it's limits.

So, do try your best in having clean code and try to declare and init your global vars as soon as possible.

The problem was:
1) you take the original table (if I well understand),
2) you add some BAM features,
3) well, a zest of GeorgeH coding,
4) hum, adding now Shiva's flipper,
5) maybe other features (Gimli, Wild, ...),
6) Bug!

Why? Each author have his variables. And as you mix all of these components, some variables are not initiated.
Unfortunately, Pinball Meditation Error don't help us for that, because it's a sub calling a sub that calls an other sub, ...
Your problem is obviously to write a single init including all of your "extensions".

But Spectrum was a beautifull pinball and I liked to play it (just my opinion). Waiting now for your mod.

Thank you popotte.
I will try my best not to disappoint anyone.

Yes, the difficult part is integrating a lot of stuff together. Although I do only add one thing at a time, after a while at some point problems are bound to happen. But this was too much for me.

Once more, thank you.

ok, now i'm curious, what is the error causing this problem?

sub into sub.... sub into sub..... and again...etc etc

you'll need a megaphone to call all these sub...sub...subbbbbbbbb:rockband:?

It's a little bit difficult to explain. GeorgeH integrate his code with Rav's code. Shiva too. AnonTet put the two extensions in a single one. But the way of coding was different. So, some problems occurs. As I understand, Rav code is decoded first, but Shiva use a part of his code after Rav code. So, some variables was not initialized and, unfortunately, some parts of Shiva's code are integrated with Rav's code , so calling a sub and an other, ... So, Pinball Meditation Error.
I think than GeorgeH was the man to integrate all.
When you integrate a lot of stuff, first declare all (maybe not all, but a lot) variables at the beginning.
Here, you have a lot of variables declared

Ah JP. Your coding is like art and your language is just as artful.

Imagine that little yellow engine light in your car dashboard. If it gets lit you know you have a problem but which of the million parts, including electronics, not just mechanic, is the real problem? It's the best analogy I can think of. FP does the same. It gives you an error but on a part of the code that had nothing to do with this.

Obviously this would never happen if I had not forgotten a couple of Pascal lessons decades ago... I got not only rusty at programming, I got lazy which is much worse. I should have not rely as much on the "freedom" vbscript allows with var declaration.

Lesson learned (again).

Last edited:
I don't even know what var declaration is.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: AnushDCosta is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back