FUTURE HELP!

kzgreg2005

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indy
all of a sudden, all my future tables play for 1 min, freeze and quit out.
Never had a problem before. I changed nothing in any settings, this is a new problem.

Graphics card has been updated (Radeon RX 6500 XT) plenty of power to run.
reinstalled windows, reinstalled popper.

all VPX tables run without issue.

Future still has same issue. any ideas on what to troubleshoot?

I think your description is quite the pointer to the problem and there are a few things you can check:

Did you use DDU to remove old drivers and reinstall them? It's a new GPU and even if the older was AMD you should do this.
Of course, you may need to test older driver versions of AMD too because they often mess up (AMD is notorious for this) but do try to aim for the latest 1st.

Since you said ALL the tables, and I assume you don't have only FizX enabled tables, I doubt this to be the case but a better GPU, can actually be too good for your CPU so your GPU can't use all the extra juice :)

Try to use v-sync or framerate limiter (either in drivers and/or FP via BAM menu.

You can (probably must) edit the table's script and try threaded = 0 (to enable multi-core use and "unlock" FP to use all cores of your CPU giving your GPU a little bit more.

I think your description is quite the pointer to the problem and there are a few things you can check:

Did you use DDU to remove old drivers and reinstall them? It's a new GPU and even if the older was AMD you should do this.
Of course, you may need to test older driver versions of AMD too because they often mess up (AMD is notorious for this) but do try to aim for the latest 1st.

Since you said ALL the tables, and I assume you don't have only FizX enabled tables, I doubt this to be the case but a better GPU, can actually be too good for your CPU so your GPU can't use all the extra juice :)

Try to use v-sync or framerate limiter (either in drivers and/or FP via BAM menu.

You can (probably must) edit the table's script and try threaded = 0 (to enable multi-core use and "unlock" FP to use all cores of your CPU giving your GPU a little bit more.
thank you!
So I ran my test on Blue Vs Pink......after making your suggestions, the table ran much longer but still froze after about 5 min, so that's progress.
Then I did much older table '4 Square' and it seemed to play fine through a couple rounds, no freezing.

Could this be a graphic card driver issue? I didn't see any framerate limiter for my actual card but I can do some more digging on that.
Like I said, I never had an issue with Future before, this just starting happening recently.

New releases are ever more demanding. I updated my VPX install to 64bit this weekend only because of Big Bang Bar release by VPW. And my PC is not the worse out there.

Do try the previous driver version, yes. Every driver has a frame limiter and v-sync option. But, launch a table, call teh BAM menu (Q by default I think) and you can do it there too. I don't know the menu's by heart sorry,

Try running FPLoader.exe in Windows 8 Compatibility mode. Depending on your Windows install / updates.... FP may crash without setting this. (newer updates to both BAM and Windows seems to have solved this)

Try running FPLoader.exe in Windows 8 Compatibility mode. Depending on your Windows install / updates.... FP may crash without setting this. (newer updates to both BAM and Windows seems to have solved this)
Thanks Terry, I have that set already. What I did was enable V-sync wherever I could and I adjusted the frame rate limiter. it's definitely playing better than it was. I played Sonic and BvP for awhile and it seemed ok. BvP froze after about 20 minutes so I'm definitely making some headway.
I appreciate the help and will continue to test.

New releases are ever more demanding. I updated my VPX install to 64bit this weekend only because of Big Bang Bar release by VPW. And my PC is not the worse out there.

Do try the previous driver version, yes. Every driver has a frame limiter and v-sync option. But, launch a table, call teh BAM menu (Q by default I think) and you can do it there too. I don't know the menu's by heart sorry,
I have to figure out how to get the earlier version, not sure how.

Google is usually faster than AMD or Nvidia sites. Just try the previous one, no need to test all. Especially becaus ethe older it is, the more you'll lose optimizations for newer games and that can be a problem.

Was this issue ever resolved? If so, I would love to know the answer. I have the same issue, except all of my FP tables will hard crash the application after approximately 10 minutes, like clockwork.

For what it is worth, I had a graphics card go bad a few years ago and I upgraded to an Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060. I brought my PC to a shop to have it done. They did all the driver updates for me so I don't know what they did. When I got my PC back, FP performed considerably better. I recall others in the past saying that FP can make do with an average CPU but tends to be very demanding on the GPU so a better graphics card will usually make FP work better.

My system is very new and high-end, so my guess is that the issue is the opposite of what you are proposing, in-that Future Pinball has issues with the latest Ryzen CPU/Chipset and/or AMD graphics cards. I have a Ryzen 5600 and an RX6750XT card. I just gave up on Future Pinball at this time, since it seems it will not be supporting the high-end rigs unless maybe you have an Nvidia card. I spent an entire day troubleshooting everything possible and reinstalling etc..., and being told by everyone that I just need to follow the instructions, which I did by the letter for everything.

Visual Pinball works beautifully so I just focus on that 100% now.

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back